Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Assange "Arbritary Dention"

Assange "Arbritary Dention"

Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assange "Arbritary Dention"

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
RT is the Russian equivalent of the BBC, and as protective of Russian interests as the BBC is of British/NATO interests. Also, it's as critical of British/NATO interests as the BBC is of Russian interests. As expats - men of the world, in a way - we ought to be able to set our tribal loyalties aside when international human-rights are involved.
Just blown any credibility you may have had on this one. RT is slavishly pro-Kremlin. Try and find a single critical piece they have put out on Putin. It's a propaganda mouthpiece. The BBC on the other hand regularly finds itself in conflict with the British government of the day. Andrew Gilligan and the Hutton Inquiry springs to mind.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps not the most neutral of sources but much of the stuff on this website matches what I remember from several media reports at the time. Of the non scandal sheet type.

I think there was even a BE thread with the same points raised.
On that previous BE thread, that you and I have both referred to, there was a link to the transcripts of all of the decisions of the UK courts.

I assume that posters on this site trust The Guardian's articles. This one paints a very different picture to the site you wish to rely upon: Article

I find it bizarre that the site you chose to rely upon didn't provide links to the UK Court's decision, although I note that the link to the agreed statement of facts supports what I had previously said above.

As I said, my recollection was that Assange's lawyer's conduct prior to the hearings was far from exemplary. The article suggests that that conduct continued through the court process too.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Here you go: Agreed Statement of Facts

I believe that I had most of the facts correct. Clearly, the statement doesn't deal with what happened once he obtain asylum.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Arsange just needs to grow some and walk out the front door of the Embassy.

If he doesn't, he's going to spend the rest of his life in self-imposed imprisonment anyway.

Nobody made him go to the Ecuadorian Embassy.

The UK are quite right to ignore the 'ruling'.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 3:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Here you go: Agreed Statement of Facts

I believe that I had most of the facts correct. Clearly, the statement doesn't deal with what happened once he obtain asylum.
I don't.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I find it bizarre that the site you chose to rely upon.
I find it bizarre you think I'm relying on that site and also that you think I'm commenting on UK courts.

My point was nothing more than Swedish matters and they had originally decided not to proceed. This was reported in a ton of media sources at the time.

UK courts and all the other stuff happened later, after the Swedish system had decided not to proceed.

It's what prompted the later stuff that caused suspicion as to motives.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think this sums up Assange and his er, detention
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/05/julian-assange-un-panel-blame-fugitive?CMP=share_btn_tw
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:13 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You people are apologists for treason.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 4:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You people are apologists for treason.
Can't be treason cos assange isn't even a septic. Though I'll grant you the other two.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I find it bizarre you think I'm relying on that site and also that you think I'm commenting on UK courts.

My point was nothing more than Swedish matters and they had originally decided not to proceed. This was reported in a ton of media sources at the time.

UK courts and all the other stuff happened later, after the Swedish system had decided not to proceed.

It's what prompted the later stuff that caused suspicion as to motives.
I believe that, if you review the Statement of Facts (the document that both sides agreed upon) you will note that while, initially, the prosecutor had decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed, it appears that another prosecutor overruled that decision. It also appears that all of this occurred within a matter of weeks and while Assange remained in Sweden.

IIRC, the UK Court transcripts give an expanded version of the facts (those that weren't agreed) that show that Assange and his lawyer behaved less than honestly.

In any event, as I have repeatedly stated, there doesn't appear to be any basis for the "he will be taken to the US" allegation.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that, if you review the Statement of Facts (the document that both sides agreed upon) you will note that while, initially, the prosecutor had decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed, it appears that another prosecutor overruled that decision. It also appears that all of this occurred within a matter of weeks and while Assange remained in Sweden.
Yes, that's exactly what so many wonder about.

I have no idea if the reports that the women only raised an objection when they discovered they'd both had sex with him, continued to fraternise with their alleged rapist (throwing a party for him) and that they only wanted HIV tests rather than alleging a crime are true.

But this might be an indication for arriving at the initial decision.

It's what caused the apparent change of mind that people wonder about.

Did you never see Yes Minister and how the right person was put in a position to make the "right" decision?

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 8th 2016 at 2:15 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's exactly what so many wonder about.

I have no idea if the reports that the women only raised an objection when they discovered they'd both had sex with him, continued to fraternise with their alleged rapist (throwing a party for him) and that they only wanted HIV tests rather than alleging a crime are true.

But this might be an indication for arriving at the initial decision.

It's what caused the apparent change of mind that people wonder about.

Did you never see Yes Minister and how the right person was put in a position to make the "right" decision?
Not a great fan of Assange, but the timing and history of the rape charged or raise some doubts about what is actually going on.