Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Article for those interested.

Article for those interested.

Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Article for those interested.

This article first appeared in 2011, since then very little if anything has changed in British Columbia and it's still very much accurate.

Gives a better insight to thin hardships those with borderline disorder face in seeking treatment then I am generally able to do.

"Although DBT has shown great promise in treating borderline personality disorder, all too often people are prescribed a cocktail of pharmaceuticals that have potentially serious side effects. Experts in the field say medications are inappropriate for treating the disorder.:

Medications are the primary form of treatment in BC for this disorder, despite experts saying otherwise, but medications are cheaper then providing counseling programs and dialectal behavior therapy, and why a lot of borderline patients distrust psychiatrists so much, all they do is put us on medications that have no useful benefit but lots of downsides.

"The current evidence is that treatment is effective, and the primary intervention seems to be some type of psychotherapy,” Livesley says. “But that’s not how most patients are treated, especially here; most are treated with medication. American Psychiatric Association guidelines for treating BPD recognize psychotherapy as the main treatment and pharmacotherapy used as adjunctive treatment. Interestingly, the new guidelines out of the U.K. [the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence] don’t recognize medication at all for BPD."

"“We’re going backwards, in a way,” he says. “We’ve had so many cutbacks. Europe is doing more in terms of longer-term inpatient care for more severe patients. But that doesn’t fit the North American model of short-term admissions. Medications are an easy option.”"

Borderline personality disorder triggers turmoil and rage | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

I wanted to share this article, it still very much accurate, and in BC we still have a medication approach to mental illness treatment even when medication is not appropriate or called for.

I won't post again, just thought this would maybe help clarify why it's not as simple getting help as some may think it is.

On the flip side Ontario has excellent options, they of course have long wait lists as they don't have enough resources either, but they take the proper approach and have built the proper borderline treatment options necessary to have success in treatment.

Those who go through treatment generally have good results and go on to lead successful lives.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article for those interested.

You should keep posting. I like your posts
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Me too. So much so that I've bloated my ignore list.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I meant specifically on this topic. I have given up on trying to explain to people how it is for those like me, and it's less frustrating to go back into the shell of pretending everything is fine and dandy, no point in re-hash the difficulty in getting the proper care in BC for it, and the high use of medications when medication is not indicated and several countries have realized this and no longer medicate, but we are a tad behind in Canada for whatever reason.

When treatment is available borderlines live fairly normal and successful lives, without treatment borderlines tend not to live much of a life at all and stay in a state of chaos and since without treatment there will never be a chance at a long term employment situation and it's a waste of everyone's time to work both mine and the employer, not going to worry about working anymore.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2015 at 2:07 am.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:31 am
Account Closed

"“We have no medications to treat these patients,” Barbara Stanley, a professor of medical psychology in psychiatry at Columbia University, said with a sigh.

“We only have medications that treat individual symptoms, make them feel like junk and only give them partial relief.”"

Borderline personality disorder: Trying to understand why some brains become haunted
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:00 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Good work on raising the profile of this relatively recently recognised condition (nineties I think?).

A subject fairly close to home for me.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I meant specifically on this topic. I have given up on trying to explain to people how it is for those like me, and it's less frustrating to go back into the shell of pretending everything is fine and dandy, no point in re-hash the difficulty in getting the proper care in BC for it, and the high use of medications when medication is not indicated and several countries have realized this and no longer medicate, but we are a tad behind in Canada for whatever reason.
It's frustrating that you seem to think that you are the only one on this forum with any kind of ills and that everything is fine and dandy for everyone else.

Last edited by bc2015; Sep 18th 2015 at 2:50 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
It's frustrating that you seem to think that you are the only one on this forum with any kind of ills and that everything is fine and dandy for everyone else.
There are many dealing with issues, directly or indirectly, many choose to say nothing, others find it better to express themselves. Whatever it takes.

Some need an avenue to express frustrations, anxieties and concerns. It would be a sad world without understanding and compassion.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:21 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Aviator.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
There are many dealing with issues, directly or indirectly, many choose to say nothing, others find it better to express themselves. Whatever it takes.

Some need an avenue to express frustrations, anxieties and concerns. It would be a sad world without understanding and compassion.
Quite so.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

Compassion works both ways.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:06 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I work with a lot of youth that are currently in DBT therapy. Many have goals to try and reduce or completely withdraw from the current medications that they are on within a particular time period deemed suitable for that individual based on the clinician and doctors opinion.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I am not following the issue, but Britain seems to be planning significant new investment in mental health, making it on par with general health. CBT on demand or something like that.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Compassion works both ways.
As you'll notice, so does scorn. Which your post deserved.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 6:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

As you'll notice, so does scorn. Which your post deserved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.