Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Applying for CANADIAN Passports

Applying for CANADIAN Passports

Old Mar 26th 2017, 2:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for CANADIAN Passports

Originally Posted by scilly
Go to the Post Office. Pick up the required Passport Application envelope ............. all necessary forms and instructions will be in there...
Take to Service Canada Centre, wait, see clerk, once she has checked and said everything is OK ------ hand over credit card

Opt for registered mail delivery (otherwise you have to go down to the Service Centre and wait)

All done
Stepdaughter has already printed forms and they are mostly done I believe. MIL needed a new birth cert - apparently the one she had was of a kind no longer accepted. That arrived a couple of days ago.

They need to get the other signatories, referees stuff and then we'll get down to Service Canada - hopefully less of a wait early in the morn.

Then we'll go for breaky in Cora's

Thanks for the tip about delivery.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

OH picked up both the envelopes last summer for me to renew my passport ....... that's how I knew about the 2 different ones.

I have 2 unused new application envelopes with contents here, not sure what to do with them! Shred, I suppose

He took them to the Service Centre for me, and said the clerks are really helpful, go through the forms, certificates etc very carefully.

That's how I also knew about the delivery.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

So, Whitby is open on a Saturday which is useful. It is busy but efficient.
I went there when doing my first passport as I did NOT want to send away my shiny new citizenship certificate. I wanted it in my hot little hands only.

I have just done my kids passports. They have changed from kids to adults and so this was a new application

NOTE - IN THE UK THIS IS A RENEWAL AND SO MINIMAL PAPERWORK IS NEEDED. IN CANADA THIS IS A NEW APPLKICATION AND SO I HAD TO DO THE WHOLE NINE YARDS AGAIN! They have already seen all this paperwork already! I was a bit cross about this as I didn't want to send off the paperwork again......so we went to the local service canada location instead. They were open on family day so I didn't need to take a vacation day. (Feds holiday rather than provincial). They took a copy of the citizenship certificate and I went home with them.

I have just renewed my adult passport, well I got my kid to go to the local Service Canada after school and he did it for me (benefit of older children!). As it is a renewal, it was more simple.

The other thing that pees me off is that UK passports - if you apply early, they will add any unused time onto your passport, upto 9 months. So you can apply in good time and not "lose" any time from your passport. In Canada, they extra time just expires, so there is no incentive to apply early - better leaving it to the last minute to renew. I just travelled on a nearly expired passport and had many people tell me that it was about to expire! I knew.....
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
So, Whitby is open on a Saturday which is useful. It is busy but efficient.
I went there when doing my first passport as I did NOT want to send away my shiny new citizenship certificate. I wanted it in my hot little hands only.

I have just done my kids passports. They have changed from kids to adults and so this was a new application

NOTE - IN THE UK THIS IS A RENEWAL AND SO MINIMAL PAPERWORK IS NEEDED. IN CANADA THIS IS A NEW APPLKICATION AND SO I HAD TO DO THE WHOLE NINE YARDS AGAIN! They have already seen all this paperwork already! I was a bit cross about this as I didn't want to send off the paperwork again......so we went to the local service canada location instead. They were open on family day so I didn't need to take a vacation day. (Feds holiday rather than provincial). They took a copy of the citizenship certificate and I went home with them.

I have just renewed my adult passport, well I got my kid to go to the local Service Canada after school and he did it for me (benefit of older children!). As it is a renewal, it was more simple.

The other thing that pees me off is that UK passports - if you apply early, they will add any unused time onto your passport, upto 9 months. So you can apply in good time and not "lose" any time from your passport. In Canada, they extra time just expires, so there is no incentive to apply early - better leaving it to the last minute to renew. I just travelled on a nearly expired passport and had many people tell me that it was about to expire! I knew.....
But when I did mine at Whitby Passport office, they didn't keep any of the paperwork. I left with all my documents, although I presume they took copies. Seems like that wasn't the case in your case?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Service Canada don't keep the paperwork either - but they aren't open on the weekend and close at 4.30pm. I chose that route so I didn't have to send away my citizenship cert.
I managed to get there on family day when they were open and I was off work.

Otherwise it would have been a long drive to Whitby on the Saturday - doable but not ideal.

I was more moaning about the fact that from kids CA assport to adult CA passport is a brand new renewal and they have to see all the paperwork again.....
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
Service Canada don't keep the paperwork either - but they aren't open on the weekend and close at 4.30pm. I chose that route so I didn't have to send away my citizenship cert.
I managed to get there on family day when they were open and I was off work.

Otherwise it would have been a long drive to Whitby on the Saturday - doable but not ideal.

I was more moaning about the fact that from kids CA assport to adult CA passport is a brand new renewal and they have to see all the paperwork again.....
Sorry - misunderstood from my quick read. Yes - that's a pain to have to resubmit all the paperwork - unfortunately that's Canadian bureaucracy for you - why make it simple??
Old Mar 26th 2017, 8:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
...that's Canadian bureaucracy for you - why make it simple??
If it ain't broke (but it is) don't fix it.