Anyone into birds?

Old May 25th 2016, 2:18 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone into birds?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do they dance? I notice the disco ball in the cage.

http://vladsokolovsky.com/forums/pub...sco-smiley.gif
Funnily enough he does love the Bee Gees
Old May 25th 2016, 12:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Funnily enough he does love the Bee Gees
Surely that's the Bu Gees?
Old May 25th 2016, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Pileated woodpeckers- big buggers... I will browse my hard drive
Yes, I was quite surprised by that, certainly compared to the other woodpeckers.

The ones above, there were millions of them along the trails out in Harvard, across the river from the military exercise grounds and about the only things you see when the army is blowing the place to pieces.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

These don't really count as they were mostly in a wildlife rescue, well apart from the duck, wild turkey and the chipmunk who I threw in there as he was cute.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-26642570604_a2c7354fdc_z.jpg   Anyone into birds?-26643859893_37a80831a3_z.jpg   Anyone into birds?-26974083210_5ed611343f_z.jpg   Anyone into birds?-27215333886_d00cc743eb_z.jpg   Anyone into birds?-27215351446_a817b08830_z.jpg  

Old May 25th 2016, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

This one is a bit lame...but any of you birdy folks know what it is? I see quite a few of them around but don't have a clue
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-05-hd-df-mm-05-v2.jpg  
Old May 25th 2016, 11:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
This one is a bit lame...but any of you birdy folks know what it is? I see quite a few of them around but don't have a clue
Brown Thrasher perhaps?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

or some kind of Thrush.. perhaps Hermit..

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush/id (though I think this one is too chubby)

or

Swainson's Thrush?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Swainsons_Thrush/id

(I thought it was a speckled warbler, but they are in Australia not the US)

Last edited by Siouxie; May 25th 2016 at 11:41 pm.
Old May 25th 2016, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Brown Thrasher perhaps?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

or some kind of Thrush.. perhaps Hermit..

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush/id (though I think this one is too chubby)
It could be either of those, but apart from the chub factor, did think it was that second one.

Way to many similar looking birds around
Old May 26th 2016, 12:42 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, bird observations.

So at the end of 2014 I was sitting in my car in a gas station parking lot near Tucson eating my lunch and watched a coyote chase a roadrunner into the bushes. Couldn't grab my camera fast enough unfortunately.

And then one time in April 2008, it was about -25 outside, so I went out to collect my mail genuinely not expecting any wildlife to be about and sitting on top of the mailboxes was what appeared to be a bloody great hawk. Not sure because I don't know much about birds of prey but it was a huge bird.

Bit of a shock to the system!

And then about a year later several hundred birds landed in the garden and stayed there for about 10 minutes, that I did get a picture of, I'm assuming they were migrating.

And at Lake Minnewanka I took a picture of a bald eagle.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-3-copy.jpg   Anyone into birds?-img_0511eagle-copy.jpg  
Old May 26th 2016, 12:57 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Mmm, bird observations.

So at the end of 2014 I was sitting in my car in a gas station parking lot near Tucson eating my lunch and watched a coyote chase a roadrunner into the bushes. Couldn't grab my camera fast enough unfortunately.

And then one time in April 2008, it was about -25 outside, so I went out to collect my mail genuinely not expecting any wildlife to be about and sitting on top of the mailboxes was what appeared to be a bloody great hawk. Not sure because I don't know much about birds of prey but it was a huge bird.

Bit of a shock to the system!

And then about a year later several hundred birds landed in the garden and stayed there for about 10 minutes, that I did get a picture of, I'm assuming they were migrating.

And at Lake Minnewanka I took a picture of a bald eagle.
I thought you said that it didn't get cold in Calgary Steve

Looks like the " Calgary blackbird" only seen in Summer in Calgary, as in the first picture.. Was it taken in June or July?
Old May 26th 2016, 1:18 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall ever saying it didn't get cold, I think my point was it gets cold in Kelowna as well.

Was it taken in June or July?
That first picture was taken in March 2009.

Hmm I appear to have rather a large number of pictures of birds that I'd forgotten about.

#1 Bluejay, south rim of the Grand Canyon;
#2 some birds trying to stay dry I think, took it in La Jolla;
#3 Took that just at the edge of Lake Louise.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-35grandcanyonbluejay-copy.jpg   Anyone into birds?-img_0348-copy.jpg   Anyone into birds?-img_1588-copy.jpg  
Old May 26th 2016, 1:28 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Steve_
I don't recall ever saying it didn't get cold, I think my point was it gets cold in Kelowna as well.

That first picture was taken in March 2009.

Hmm I appear to have rather a large number of pictures of birds that I'd forgotten about.

#1 Bluejay, south rim of the Grand Canyon;
#2 some birds trying to stay dry I think, took it in La Jolla;
#3 Took that just at the edge of Lake Louise.
Pelicans and Gray jay- think that I took a photo of the same little fella at Spring Break at Lake Louise

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 26th 2016 at 1:43 am.
Old May 26th 2016, 5:31 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Surely that's the Bu Gees?
See what you did then Bristol - Derek liked it he tells me

Originally Posted by Bob
These don't really count as they were mostly in a wildlife rescue, well apart from the duck, wild turkey and the chipmunk who I threw in there as he was cute.
They are still birds... well, most of them anyhow! You have gotta love a turkey

Originally Posted by Bob
I agree looks like a thrush... I love the name thrasher though- sounds like the sadist of the bird world

Eagles, more bloody eagles and a yellow bird, a swallow........................................... ...................................tail
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-eagle-6-1-1-.jpg   Anyone into birds?-not-bird-but-they-wont-notice-haha.jpg   Anyone into birds?-eagle-1-1-1-.jpg  
Old May 26th 2016, 6:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Pelicans and Gray jay- think that I took a photo of the same little fella at Spring Break at Lake Louise
Don't think they are pelicans - if you click on the thumbnail that opens when you click on the picture, it will open in a new tab - and you click to enlarge and then can zoom in. Look like cormorants (or shag) to me.. (my attachment is from the original picture)

see: http://www.racerocks.ca/wp-content/u...rbine-rock.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-cormorants.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; May 26th 2016 at 6:13 am.
Old May 26th 2016, 6:16 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Don't think they are pelicans - if you click on the thumbnail that opens when you click on the picture, it will open in a new tab - and you click to enlarge and then can zoom in. Look like cormorants (or shag) to me.. (my attachment is from the original picture)

see: http://www.racerocks.ca/wp-content/u...rbine-rock.jpg
Yep- beg pardon there is a pelican in the foreground though Siouxie!They are apparently Brandt's cormorants. We saw seals and Pelicans at La Jolla in the cove and the later plus the cormorants on the low cliffs

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 26th 2016 at 7:08 am.
Old May 26th 2016, 6:24 am
I need a walk

Now these are Pelicans ...a few.. Pismo beach Cali
Attached Thumbnails Anyone into birds?-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.