Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

Old Jun 28th 2014, 9:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

Originally Posted by dbd33
No question, I found living in a condo (opposite the Yard) hassle free and also cost effective; no need for a car on weekdays, no need for a lawn mower at all. A car was needed to go out of town but not to the market or any other urban places of interest. However, a condo in Barrie fails on all of the good points; everything of interest requires a car because the trains don't run on weekends. Everything of interest is two hours away. Better a smaller condo nearer work, I think.
Yes, this is what I meant.

Having said that, I've just Streetviewed Barrie and it looks like a nice little town rather than a bedroom community.

Last edited by Shard; Jun 28th 2014 at 9:22 am.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I agree.

Also the maintenance for a condo unit comes across as minimal to me versus that of a house.

I wouldn't want to spend my weekends cutting grass, shovelling snow or doing all the various external repairs.

Condo ownership comes across as hassle free from that perspective.
Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
This

The problem is that a lot of people feel that they should be mowing grass / shoveling snow / DIY etc so would never admit that they don't enjoy it.

Admitting that they'd rather live somewhere where they don't have to do that crap is seen as some kind of admission of failure , I think.
I have never lived in a condo. It was not a starter home, or early-career choice for us, but it is an option in less than 10 years. Currently, mowing the lawn for 30 minutes each weekend is worth the space to me. Shovelling a driveway about 8 times is ok. Noisy kids and barking dogs require detached living. Suicide rates from Cochrane to Calgary will be low because the views are so good! Hitting wildlife, on the other hand, is an occupational hazard.

I would worry about feeling claustrophobic in a condo. It'll have to high with big windows!!
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

I would worry about feeling claustrophobic in a condo. It'll have to high with big windows!!
We were on the 29th floor facing the lake. The whole lakeside wall was glass. It still felt like a bit of a box. If I did it again I'd want a balcony.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 5:06 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I agree.

Also the maintenance for a condo unit comes across as minimal to me versus that of a house.

I wouldn't want to spend my weekends cutting grass, shovelling snow or doing all the various external repairs.

Condo ownership comes across as hassle free from that perspective.
I lot of people do actually enjoy that stuff. We both do, not least because it's a diversion from sitting in front of a computer or having meetings.

The two of us are happy to shovel snow, she's a passionate gardener and I often have to be dragged away from my power tools/toys.

My summer vacation this year will be two weeks of renovations on the new house. I cannot wait.

If we moved into a condo where there was no work to be done, before we became too decrepit to do anything, we'd probably kill ourselves (or each other) out of sheer boredom.