Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

The Upper, Upper, Upper West Side : The New Yorker

Is fun being made, I wonder.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americans Hear of Barrie Ontario Shocker!

Originally Posted by dbd33
The whole idea of condo living in far flung places makes no sense to me. We (or rather the younger generation) are being duped.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

They do start referring to her by her maiden name Pratt once they inform us of it.

I think this paragraph kind of sums up living in most Canadian places and the major metropolises of the world.

"Many features of today’s Upper West Side are, unfortunately, impossible to replicate. In Barrie, one of the few pizza options is called Boston Pizza; for bagels, there’s either Tim Hortons or the Great Canadian Bagel."

To her credit it is nice to see someone attempt to build creatively.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
They do start referring to her by her maiden name Pratt once they inform us of it.

I think this paragraph kind of sums up living in most Canadian places and the major metropolises of the world.

"Many features of today’s Upper West Side are, unfortunately, impossible to replicate. In Barrie, one of the few pizza options is called Boston Pizza; for bagels, there’s either Tim Hortons or the Great Canadian Bagel."

To her credit it is nice to see someone attempt to build creatively.
Is she building creatively or just being "creative" in the marketing? The units in the photo bear no resemblance to UWS architecture.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The whole idea of condo living in far flung places makes no sense to me. We (or rather the younger generation) are being duped.
I don't know about that. If you can't afford to live where you work then a flat near a train line with a station at both ends is a way to build equity until you can move nearer to work. I think it makes less sense to buy a house in a dormitory town as that's conceding that the rest of your working life will be spent in transit while your children grow up living nowhere in particular and drifting into a life of hard drugs and, in Canada, iced hockey.

I wonder what the suicide rate is like for people who commute Milton Keynes to London, Barrie to Toronto, Cochrane to Calgary.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Is she building creatively or just being "creative" in the marketing? The units in the photo bear no resemblance to UWS architecture.
Both.

With out the pizza and bagel shops you will not catch me there anytime soon.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I don't know about that. If you can't afford to live where you work then a flat near a train line with a station at both ends is a way to build equity until you can move nearer to work. I think it makes less sense to buy a house in a dormitory town as that's conceding that the rest of your working life will be spent in transit while your children grow up living nowhere in particular and drifting into a life of hard drugs and, in Canada, iced hockey.

I wonder what the suicide rate is like for people who commute Milton Keynes to London, Barrie to Toronto, Cochrane to Calgary.
I agree.

Also the maintenance for a condo unit comes across as minimal to me versus that of a house.

I wouldn't want to spend my weekends cutting grass, shovelling snow or doing all the various external repairs.

Condo ownership comes across as hassle free from that perspective.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:14 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

Also the maintenance for a condo unit comes across as minimal to me versus that of a house.

I wouldn't want to spend my weekends cutting grass, shovelling snow or doing all the various external repairs.

This

The problem is that a lot of people feel that they should be mowing grass / shoveling snow / DIY etc so would never admit that they don't enjoy it.

Admitting that they'd rather live somewhere where they don't have to do that crap is seen as some kind of admission of failure , I think.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

[Is fun being made, I wonder.
Looks real, good for Barrie! I'm sure the real food will come to compliment the neighbourhood too. When I was at army camp we went to Barrie for the sin.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:31 pm
Yo

Actually, I'm all for condos, and think they make good sense in central locations for singles or couples, but when they're built in bedroom communities where space is at less of a premium, that seems to be the wrong way round. The whole idea of so called bedroom communities does mot appeal in the first place. Who's the urban planning guy on BE maybe he can comment.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
This

The problem is that a lot of people feel that they should be mowing grass / shoveling snow / DIY etc so would never admit that they don't enjoy it.

Admitting that they'd rather live somewhere where they don't have to do that crap is seen as some kind of admission of failure , I think.
How well put...I loved living in a condo, when I did so, and really think when our son leaves home I will go back to one.

From the info given, I think they look very nice.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Actually, I'm all for condos, and think they make good sense in central locations for singles or couples, but when they're built in bedroom communities where space is at less of a premium, that seems to be the wrong way round. The whole idea of so called bedroom communities does mot appeal in the first place. Who's the urban planning guy on BE maybe he can comment.
This post made me find out what a Bedroom Community was as I did not know:

As a general rule, suburbs are developed in areas adjacent to main employment centres, such as a town or a city, but may or may not have many jobs locally, whereas bedroom communities have few local businesses and most residents who have jobs commute to employment centers some distance away.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:37 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

This post made me find out what a Bedroom Community was as I did not know:

As a general rule, suburbs are developed in areas adjacent to main employment centres, such as a town or a city, but may or may not have many jobs locally, whereas bedroom communities have few local businesses and most residents who have jobs commute to employment centers some distance away.
You've obviously never played sim city
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

No question, I found living in a condo (opposite the Yard) hassle free and also cost effective; no need for a car on weekdays, no need for a lawn mower at all. A car was needed to go out of town but not to the market or any other urban places of interest. However, a condo in Barrie fails on all of the good points; everything of interest requires a car because the trains don't run on weekends. Everything of interest is two hours away. Better a smaller condo nearer work, I think.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 6:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the bedroom communities however are not getting any cheaper, and for a lot of people a house is out of the question due to cost, but a condo is an option.

There is certainly a market for condos in bedroom communities simply because houses are too much money.

I'd personally prefer a house, however owning anything is never going to happen for us, but I don't think I'd ever want to own condo, everyone I know who has owned one has horror stories about owning one....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.