Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Lol

American Airlines Lol

Old Apr 13th 2017, 10:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Airlines Lol

He will be milking this case for as much money as he can, and I can't say I blame him.
I'd be doing the same thing if I was 69 and needed some extra retirement money.

The press conference this morning was cringeworthy. As they say, only in America...
Old Apr 14th 2017, 1:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It would take more time, but perhaps SOP could be changed so they make everyone exit the plane then reload everyone but those losing their seats. At least that way if there is a fight it doesn't happen on the airplane.
How about getting everyone off and then announcing the last four seated get left behind. Go for it!
Old Apr 14th 2017, 1:48 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
How about getting everyone off and then announcing the last four seated get left behind. Go for it!
Flying was dangerous when I was young because the pilots I was flying with were crazy bush pilots, and exuberant youth. I'm against crazy passengers. Trans-Air (sharrup) which was a mainstream airline used to let us take our rifles in the cabin so the sights wouldn't get banged up in the luggage compartment.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:16 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Flying was dangerous when I was young because the pilots I was flying with were crazy bush pilots
These are the guys you want up front when it all goes to hell in a hand basket!
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Musical chairs?
Old Apr 14th 2017, 4:30 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Or, he chose not to leave when asked, leaving them with no alternative but to forcibly remove him, and then cried like a baby when removed.

Perhaps Aviator can explain but, it is my understanding that when asked to leave, if a passenger does not do so, the airline is left with no alternative but to remove, with force, the passenger.
Not so apparently. Skip to the 55 second mark

Old Apr 14th 2017, 10:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So in a full aircraft, there was not one other passenger who would leave the aircraft voluntarily? Not one other passenger who would respond to an incentive to do so, even if it meant increasing the value of the incentive? The only way to handle it was to use force on an unwilling passenger?
There were no alternative penalties that could apply such as a fine or future ban on using UA - or even any American airline?

I understand the legislation for removing violent or disruptive passengers, the safety of all on the aircraft must be paramount. This wasn't a safety issue, it was an economic one - and I'd much rather be called an 'armchair jurist' than the name that anyone who seeks to rationalize and defend this violence deserves to be called.
This is the point.

The fact that this guy was adamant that he needed to be home for work reasons should have been taken into consideration. That fact that he is a doctor, and not say a retiree, means he should have been given the benefit of doubt (that he had some urgency). This situation is not about blizzards or the passenger being late to show up, it's about the airline needing to deplane 4 out of 400 persons, and one person, a doctor, adamant that he needs to be on the flight. No question that the airline should have taken his circumstances into account and found someone else with less responsibilities or obligations.

As to the ethnic thing, something tells me if he was a 6'5 black guy with a big beard and gold chain around his (like someone I saw on plane yesterday, as it happens) the crew would not be nearly as vociferous in enforcing their policy.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 11:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
...if he was a 6'5 black guy with a big beard and gold chain around his (like someone I saw on plane yesterday, as it happens...
Has Mr T got over his fear of flying then?
Old Apr 14th 2017, 12:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

They would probably just tase someone who they couldn't handle.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen in a situation like this if the victim was seriously injured or died?

I think it has bought to my attention a level of physical manhandling by those in power that perhaps is a bit of a shock if you're not already used to it.

Something I guess it's good to be aware of, moving to the US. I will keep this in mind 😐
Old Apr 14th 2017, 12:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by LouisB
What would happen in a situation like this if the victim was seriously injured or died?
I think it has bought to my attention a level of physical manhandling by those in power that perhaps is a bit of a shock if you're not already used to it.Something I guess it's good to be aware of, moving to the US. I will keep this in mind 😐
Physical manhandling, tasers, pepper spray, can all result in death at the scene or soon after. Some people can't take the shock or panic. There are always reviews after but too late for the dead guy.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

About 10 years ago RCMP tasered a man at YVR in customs hall and he died from it.

Was ruled use of taser was not justified if I recall correctly.

Physical manhandling, tasers, pepper spray, can all result in death at the scene or soon after. Some people can't take the shock or panic. There are always reviews after but too late for the dead guy.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
About 10 years ago RCMP tasered a man at YVR in customs hall and he died from it.

And the mounties lied like rugs, it was terrible, but it sure made everyone aware.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Not so apparently. Skip to the 55 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLphv5G1HPE
It seems to me that the issue is: After them asking him to leave and him refusing to leave, what amount of force was "reasonable" to remove him?

I am confident that the Court will answer that question fairly easily. Just as he will have to answer the question: Why, after you were asked to leave, did you refuse to do so?
Old Apr 14th 2017, 6:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

well he did pick up a stapler in a threatening manner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.