Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Albertans name their children the darndest things".....

"Albertans name their children the darndest things".....

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:35 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Albertans name their children the darndest things".....

http://www.canada.com/life/Albertans...625/story.html

"The Alberta government issued a release yesterday announcing that 2009 was the third year in a row for a record number of births in the province. Simple enough. But then it went on to list some of the names of those babies. They were ... eclectic. We're being polite here."

Names include Thunder...Peanut...Whip... and I note one of the girls was called "Albertarose" - possibly after one of our Expat friends on here???!

If you are maybe expecting a little Albertan (or Nova Scotian, or Saskatchewan-un, etc, etc) then here's the full list here for your inspiration:
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1163.cfm
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:36 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Albertans name their children the darndest things".....

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim

"The Alberta government issued a release yesterday announcing that 2009 was the third year in a row for a record number of births in the province. Simple enough. But then it went on to list some of the names of those babies. They were ... eclectic. We're being polite here."

Names include Thunder...Peanut...Whip... and I note one of the girls was called "Albertarose" - possibly after one of our Expat friends on here???!

If you are maybe expecting a little Albertan (or Nova Scotian, or Saskatchewan-un, etc, etc) then here's the full list here for your inspiration:
some parents must be smoking their socks. those poor kids.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

There were 5 little girls named Asma! I can't see any other way of pronouncing that other than asthma but I really hope there is.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
There were 5 little girls named Asma! I can't see any other way of pronouncing that other than asthma but I really hope there is.
Why?

Asma is an Arabic name. I'm sure they think some of ours sound funny.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:05 pm
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

there's one poor little poppet called Aragorn........ awww bless....
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim

Why would anyone care what silly people call their stupid kids in such a dopey place?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:20 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
Why would anyone care what silly people call their stupid kids in such a dopey place?
i wouldn't say anyone actually cares. it is giggle worthy though, or at least worth a roll of the eyes
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
i wouldn't say anyone actually cares. it is giggle worthy though, or at least worth a roll of the eyes
There was a woman on our estate who called her kid Chardonnay. How tacky, who'd name their child after a drink.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a woman on our estate who called her kid Chardonnay. How tacky, who'd name their child after a drink.
Chardney, innit?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

...who'd name their child after a drink.
I knew a kid called John Smith. Bloody ridiculous
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
I knew a kid called John Smith. Bloody ridiculous
I hate to dampen your outrage but I think that was coincidental. If his name had been Fuller's Best Bitter, I would have said you'd got a point
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Paul McCartney?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
Try " as-may "
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

I know a Bloody Mary and a White Russian
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I know a Bloody Mary and a White Russian
I do a mean Slow Comfortable Screw. Oh wait, it's Sloe Gin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.