Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Air Transat worst for lateness?

Air Transat worst for lateness?

Old May 20th 2017, 12:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air Transat worst for lateness?

Over a quarter of flights to UK are delayed, research shows
KLM proves the most punctual airline for 2016, while Air Transat was the worst performer with 45% of flights arriving late
I was a bit puzzled by the "arriving late" focus in the article. Surely it's late departure that matters whether this is from the UK or some other country. And if arriving is the thing to look at shouldn't there be a comparison be with flights arriving late at other destinations?
Canadian leisure airline Air Transat was the worst performer with 45% of its flights late, followed by Icelandair (44%) and Norwegian (40%).
Or a punctuality rate of 55%, 56% and 60%.

Leisure airline Air Transat. Is this because most of their flights are of a holiday nature involving a different kind of flyer with a different mindset? Perhaps punctuality comparisons could be made with other leisure airlines.

A quick google has Air Transat doing well, overall, when ranked like for like.

Does Leisure Airline describe what used to be called Charter flights as opposed to scheduled flights. Jetsave is one charter airline I remember for crossing the Atlantic in the 70s. I did my London-LA and NYC-London with them in 78.

But I had to laugh at
A spokesman for Air Transat said: “The statistics in this report do not take into account the delays caused by factors beyond our control such as weather and air traffic control.
What, these things only affect them and not the others?
“When these factors are excluded, our punctuality rate is in fact 78%.”
KLM's is 88% even before the "beyond our control" is factored in.

Why would one airline be worse than others? Slower planes?

Shoddy standards and planes taking longer to be ready for take off?

Airports giving better service/priority to bigger airlines? Sabotage?
Old May 20th 2017, 1:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat worst for lateness?

My guess is the Guardian article pointing out the delays means nothing to most for the reason they will continue to choose the lowest cost direct flight between Canada to a UK destination then continue to whinge about how awful it was.

For now it's Transat for the lowest fare direct flight YYZ-MAN-YYZ

Should BA or AC offer year round direct flights at a cost lower than Transat then I will go with one of them.
Old May 20th 2017, 5:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
For now it's Transat for the lowest fare direct flight YYZ-MAN-YYZ

Should BA or AC offer year round direct flights at a cost lower than Transat then I will go with one of them.
And will continue to be so. BA and AC fly into Heathrow, Transat into Gatwick. Significant difference in costs there alone.

Once a delay occurs, for whatever reason, often a flight will miss its slot at the destination airport. The result is having to not only clear the POI, but also get an arrival slot at the destination.
Old May 28th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
And will continue to be so. BA and AC fly into Heathrow, Transat into Gatwick. Significant difference in costs there alone.

Once a delay occurs, for whatever reason, often a flight will miss its slot at the destination airport. The result is having to not only clear the POI, but also get an arrival slot at the destination.
Air Canada Rouge also seems to fly to Gatwick, same as Air Transat and West-Jet, if you're departing from Toronto to London.

Air Canada seems to charge $ 30 just for a seat reservation, even in economy. Makes you wonder where the difference between Air Canada and a no frills carrier really is these days.

BA also seems to charge for a seat reservation.

These practices have not been in place on long haul flights.
Things are changing, not always for the best.
Old May 28th 2017, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I flew Air Transat to Gatwick and back within the past fortnight as well as EasyJet to and from Geneva. The EJ flight was traffic delayed so we circled the airport, the other flights were on time. What I noted was that the level of service on these two airlines was comparable to that on most "full price" carriers I've used. Air Transat was a bit technically dated in that they use actual boarding cards, not a scan of your phone, but it all seemed to work.

For me Air Transat have a much better "on time" record than Air Canada, I've flown the former several times and they've always met my definition of "on time" (door open within an hour of published arrival time), AC never have in, I dunno, a couple of hundred, tries.
Old May 28th 2017, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have one flight (not air transat) that is late almost daily by 2 to 3 hours, maybe goes out on time once a week. The issue is traffic issues at the destination airport, and ATC at the destination airport holding flights at their origin.

There are delays airlines can control and others an airline can't control such as weather and ATC type delays.
Old May 28th 2017, 11:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...Air Transat was a bit technically dated in that they use actual boarding cards, not a scan of your phone...
I expect I'll need to have the back of my hand stamped then.
Old May 29th 2017, 1:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I expect I'll need to have the back of my hand stamped then.
There's a surcharged service for that.