Ageism

Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ageism

I am wondering, given his breadth of experience, if its worth considering setting himself up as a consultant.
That way all his travel costs, PD costs, office costs etc can claimed against his earnings and he can look into offering his services to some smaller airports or hotels that perhaps couldnt afford him on the payroll but would benefit from his experience for a week or a month or whatever they need.

If he ends up flying from Ontario to other locations to work that cost too can be allocated to the cost of his business.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You guys have been busy while I was gone... so I would struggle to answer you individually...

Hubby has two strings to his bow... he's a hotel and resort general manager and also has worked several years as an airport manager (not as weird a combination as you may think).

He has had maybe 5/6 interviews in the time since he was laid off. So they obviously see potential on his resume. But then there is always an excuse why they don't hire him... along the lines of "getting the right fit"...

I've told him that at some stage maybe he packs a suitcase and does a hotel management cover somewhere fun like the caribean or other exciting place. At least it might boost his ego a little, he needs it...

Special hi however to Paul. I'm so sorry you're going through the same thing. You should come down to Hamilton or we should meet somewhere along the line and have an evening out putting the world to rights!!!!

I'm hoping we'll look back in the next few months and sigh a huge sigh of relief that it's all behind us...we've had a lot of cr4p since coming to Ontario and it's about time our luck changed!!!

Ive been away for a few days.. its seems to have been busy here while I have been away!

I think you understand my current situation as you are seeing it with your husband. Its surprising how many people don't get it. and you get the usual stay positive and something will show up....staying positive starts to wear a bit thin after the 4-5 month mark... but its a numbers game, something will eventually show up, but it takes its toll on you mental well being and morale in the meantime.

We should meet up some time for sure and have a mutual complain and good old rant about our situations, they say that always helps.....at least in the short term.

'Im beginning to think and agree with what ann_m said.....I think salary expectations have a lot to do with it coupled with age....companies don't want to pay the going rate these days...particulary in manufacturing, I have found. I know I have to take a significant cut in salary, but now Im thinking it more than considerable now, and companies now....won't even say what they are willing to pay...so you dont know even know if the huge cut your taking will still be enough... It does seem that companies want to go down the start young and train them as they go route.

Here is a great way to sum up age and life....

Youth is wasted on the young for obvious reasons.....however wisdom is wasted on the old as no one will ever listen to their experience and wise advice!

How many times have we heard "ah what does the that old codger know about anything!"

Sad but true.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

How many times have we heard "ah what does the that old codger know about anything!"

Sad but true.
I try to listen to all "old codgers". Sometimes its just to see how things have changed but more often than not I learn something.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I try to listen to all "old codgers". Sometimes its just to see how things have changed but more often than not I learn something.
Oh yes for sure! I always listen.....but you know what some kids are like!

And I agree....I love to hear what things used to be like...always find that fascinating.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:09 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I'm retired so when I look at my experience I like to temper the temptation to preach to others by reciting.. Sure I have 40 years experience.. but it's 20 years out of date.

Now this is simplistic and perhaps the terms knowledge and experience get mixed up, but you get the gist, and fortunately for me the more basic laws governing how the physical world operates haven't changed at the everyday level during my lifetime and they have served me well.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been away for a few days.. its seems to have been busy here while I have been away!

I think you understand my current situation as you are seeing it with your husband. Its surprising how many people don't get it. and you get the usual stay positive and something will show up....staying positive starts to wear a bit thin after the 4-5 month mark... but its a numbers game, something will eventually show up, but it takes its toll on you mental well being and morale in the meantime.

We should meet up some time for sure and have a mutual complain and good old rant about our situations, they say that always helps.....at least in the short term.

'Im beginning to think and agree with what ann_m said.....I think salary expectations have a lot to do with it coupled with age....companies don't want to pay the going rate these days...particulary in manufacturing, I have found. I know I have to take a significant cut in salary, but now Im thinking it more than considerable now, and companies now....won't even say what they are willing to pay...so you dont know even know if the huge cut your taking will still be enough... It does seem that companies want to go down the start young and train them as they go route.

Youth is wasted on the young for obvious reasons.....however wisdom is wasted on the old as no one will ever listen to their experience and wise advice!

Sad but true.
There is a lot of truth in what you say. I try to avoid the cliches with hubby as I know it doesn't help...
Howefamily knows him well so she can tell you, he's a proud man and finds this whole thing very difficult.
At this point I have told him to take a job he enjoys regardless of the money!

I don't say it to him but I do feel deep down that something will come up...it might be something he can't even imagine right now but his luck will change!!

Let me know when you're this way old codger and we can go for a few beers and reminisce about the way it was in our day...
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering, given his breadth of experience, if its worth considering setting himself up as a consultant.
That way all his travel costs, PD costs, office costs etc can claimed against his earnings and he can look into offering his services to some smaller airports or hotels that perhaps couldnt afford him on the payroll but would benefit from his experience for a week or a month or whatever they need.

If he ends up flying from Ontario to other locations to work that cost too can be allocated to the cost of his business.
We're working on that type of idea... It takes a long time to change your way of thinking but he is slowly considering that self employment might be the right way to go!
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Sad but true.
Sorry to hear your troubles Paul. I hadn't realised you were 48, somehow I thought that you were a decade or two younger ! Hopefully you are casting a wide geographic net and being flexible in your role/salary expectations.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sad but true.
I think it's only true if they are an old codger. Someone who through a lack of activity/exercise have let their body become decrepit or who haven't achieved anything career-wise. I know quite a few people in their late seventies, early eighties who are vibrant and interesting and command respect and admiration. People who at that age are still working seven days a week, who still workout every day and who jet off all around the world in various capacities sharing their expertize and experience. People who embrace changing technology, who read a lot and are interested in discussing and analyzing current affairs, culture and social relationships and so it depends . . .
Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Seems ageism is alive and kicking in Ontario.
Hubby has had several interviews recently and not been offered a single job.
He kind of looks older than his age (53) and just keeps getting knocked back.
He's getting very depressed and I don't what to say to him.
Anybody else having this issue?

I on the other hand seem to get a lot of interest in my resume and get offered jobs. People tell me I look about 5 years younger than I am (50)... coincidence maybe?
So sorry to hear that DandNHill. I'm not a huge fan of the job market in Canada.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:09 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think it's only true if they are an old codger. Someone who through a lack of activity/exercise have let their body become decrepit or who haven't achieved anything career-wise. I know quite a few people in their late seventies, early eighties who are vibrant and interesting and command respect and admiration. People who at that age are still working seven days a week, who still workout every day and who jet off all around the world in various capacities sharing their expertize and experience. People who embrace changing technology, who read a lot and are interested in discussing and analyzing current affairs, culture and social relationships and so it depends . . .
This is me of course. A brilliant analysis.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Sorry to hear your troubles Paul. I hadn't realised you were 48, somehow I thought that you were a decade or two younger ! Hopefully you are casting a wide geographic net and being flexible in your role/salary expectations.
I thought Paul was younger too. I don't envy him trying to find work in and around Peterborough.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

One of my co-workers/supervisors is having a birthday today, (Skype tells age!) and she was 3 when I started working in the bar.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is a lot of truth in what you say. I try to avoid the cliches with hubby as I know it doesn't help...
Howefamily knows him well so she can tell you, he's a proud man and finds this whole thing very difficult.
At this point I have told him to take a job he enjoys regardless of the money!

I don't say it to him but I do feel deep down that something will come up...it might be something he can't even imagine right now but his luck will change!!

Let me know when you're this way old codger and we can go for a few beers and reminisce about the way it was in our day...
Well as the majority of jobs I am applying for are down your way...I think there may be a good chance of me passing by. Actually waitng for a yay or a nay on a job interview I went for in Brampton.

Originally Posted by Shard
Originally Posted by bats
I thought Paul was younger too. I don't envy him trying to find work in and around Peterborough.
A lot of people say that to me.....people who haven't met me in person think I am younger. I think its my lifestyle and attitude that leads people to believe that, its that of someone in their mid thirties, I don't like to take life too seriously, I like to do stuff, go places and get the most out of life.......well I was all that until recently!

My job search has gone way out of Peterborough, although in a great geographical location Peterborough is a dead and barren town, city hall seem more interested in creating urban sprawl and building new subdivisions for retirees than creating new employment opportunities or redeveloping the run down core areas of the town.

I didnt want to move, but I am ready for it now, I want to stay close enough to stay in touch with friends and outdoor activities that I enjoy here, but thats about it. So Im looking in a 150-200km radius of my current location.

Oh and just turned 47 not 48.... 48 sounds so much older! I think my heart and soul is a lot younger though.

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes thats well put. I agree for the most part. I suppose I was referring more to life experience more so than work and jobs. A lot of young people always like to patronise older people its the way its always been, not all by any means, when I was in my 20s I would quite happliy sit and chat with 50/60 somethings, their experiences of the past always fascinated me, and compare how things had changed.....and agree with them, that it wasn't always for the better. Change is constant, but not always for the better.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 11th 2017 at 4:42 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
One of my co-workers/supervisors is having a birthday today, (Skype tells age!) and she was 3 when I started working in the bar.
My boss was only 1 when I started working in the airline industry.

First time in my working life where the boss is younger then me, it was bound to happen at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.