Ageism

Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ageism

I don't know what the OP's husband does, nor Mr Shepherd, but is it possible to freelance?

In my industry experience really is king, but it is only ever on freelance contracts. The staff positions go to smart uni grads. They are supported by experienced contractors. The young staffie gains experience on a few different projects, then realises how much the contractors are getting paid and quits to become one of them. He is replaced by a smart uni grad... and so it goes.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I did a lot of academic work on ageism before I left the UK. I'm a sociolinguist so I was interested in the way it was written about and talked about. I once complained to the Advertising Standards Authority because they ran an online ad several years ago for (I can't recall but I think) a Sky Digibox with Michael Parkinson saying (something like) "even someone of my age can use it" or similar which of course reinforces negative stereotypes about ageing. They made a bland response along the lines that it was not discriminatory to which I replied that if the advertisers had written "even someone of my colour can use it" or "even a woman can operate it" they would never allow it.

Yes, self employed can be the way to go. I retrained (since in Canada) and have several short term renewable contracts.
There is actually now a ban (or proposal) to stop ads which portray the hapless husband who can't use a washer or make the kids dinner.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ageism definitely exists and not always from employers. Your job can be made a misery by younger people who think that you know nothing. My last job they assumed I knew nothing about computers and one bit of imaging technology in particular when the opposite was true as I knew more than the lot of them combined. Bar stewards
Don't worry, those youngsters will soon be replaced by AI imaging diagnostics anyway. You probably left at a good time.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
"even a woman can operate it"
was part of a sales pitch we heard for a lawn mower a couple of years ago. I just thought "Ah Canada, still in the 1950s". My wife took a harsher view.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Don't worry, those youngsters will soon be replaced by AI imaging diagnostics anyway. You probably left at a good time.
They are certainly less skilled than us old fogeys due to automatic exposure devices etc but someone still has to position the patient, talk to them etc.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They are certainly less skilled than us old fogeys due to automatic exposure devices etc but someone still has to position the patient, talk to them etc.
Meh get a robot to do that
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:03 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think you take any notice of ageism until it happens to you...my story..last time i was looking to change my job in the UK i was 36 and was getting job offers left right and centre and getting calls daily..i eventually went to live in Canada and came back to the UK and went back to to my old job for what i thought would be on a temp basis until i found i job in the location i wanted..now i was 45 and jobs i walked into before i couldn't even get an interview for..i had all the right qualifications had all and more experience than i had before but i was getting binned off all the time. ..i couldn't understand what the problem was..until 2 colleague of mine who were 7 and 9 years younger than me decided they wanted to move on also..they had no problem getting interviews and job offers..one of the guys was less qualified and far less experienced than me but he got an interview i did not.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes governments can be there worst offenders.

At least the US Gov't can be where mid to late 30s is cut off for applying and being hired.

My mom is 58 and had trouble find another job.

Not sure all hiring managers do it on purpose though. People tend to navigate towards other near their age and as we age managers get younger and cycle goes on.

I do notice once I hit late 30s it became harder to find jobs and 20 year olds I work with can find jobs in a heart beat it seems.

But in my 20s I could job hop no issues as well.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

You guys have been busy while I was gone... so I would struggle to answer you individually...

Hubby has two strings to his bow... he's a hotel and resort general manager and also has worked several years as an airport manager (not as weird a combination as you may think).

He has had maybe 5/6 interviews in the time since he was laid off. So they obviously see potential on his resume. But then there is always an excuse why they don't hire him... along the lines of "getting the right fit"...

I've told him that at some stage maybe he packs a suitcase and does a hotel management cover somewhere fun like the caribean or other exciting place. At least it might boost his ego a little, he needs it...

Special hi however to Paul. I'm so sorry you're going through the same thing. You should come down to Hamilton or we should meet somewhere along the line and have an evening out putting the world to rights!!!!

I'm hoping we'll look back in the next few months and sigh a huge sigh of relief that it's all behind us...we've had a lot of cr4p since coming to Ontario and it's about time our luck changed!!!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:41 pm
Yo

Yes, certainly. I suppose my point was more about automation increasingly supplanting radiologists.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never done management but my entire work life has pretty much been nothing but hotels or aviation related.

What about management jobs with ground handling companies at airports? I other management jobs at airports but not airport management.

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You guys have been busy while I was gone... so I would struggle to answer you individually...

Hubby has two strings to his bow... he's a hotel and resort general manager and also has worked several years as an airport manager (not as weird a combination as you may think).

He has had maybe 5/6 interviews in the time since he was laid off. So they obviously see potential on his resume. But then there is always an excuse why they don't hire him... along the lines of "getting the right fit"...

I've told him that at some stage maybe he packs a suitcase and does a hotel management cover somewhere fun like the caribean or other exciting place. At least it might boost his ego a little, he needs it...

Special hi however to Paul. I'm so sorry you're going through the same thing. You should come down to Hamilton or we should meet somewhere along the line and have an evening out putting the world to rights!!!!

I'm hoping we'll look back in the next few months and sigh a huge sigh of relief that it's all behind us...we've had a lot of cr4p since coming to Ontario and it's about time our luck changed!!!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have never done management but my entire work life has pretty much been nothing but hotels or aviation related.

What about management jobs with ground handling companies at airports? I other management jobs at airports but not airport management.
He was terminated without cause. That old chestnut!!!
So people talk. So far he's had one interview with a handling agent but it came to nothing!!
Also often those jobs are not advertised so you're relying on your network to tell you about them.
Incidentally we've been to the airport a few times since he left and so many of the staff come up to him and tell him how much they miss him.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill

Maybe it's time to buy a bed and breakfast
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe it's time to buy a bed and breakfast
That was the original plan. Then we lost lots of $$$ in NS property and can't anymore. Unless we win the lottery!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Ageing is the one thing that affects us all ... but we "fight" ageing, we see it as a compliment if people say "you look much younger than ...". We don't value age: we value youth and try to look, feel and be as young as we can.

We have lots of derogatory terms to describe ageing: over the hill; mutton dressed as lamb; past it; old granny; seasoned; vintage ... (is that any better!!). I'm sure you can think of lots I'd rather not write here. As usual, the ones to describe older women are usually worse than those for older men.

It seems trivial but these kinds of descriptions reinforce negative perceptions of older adults.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.