After 30+ years!

Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:16 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of
Default Re: After 30+ years!

Originally Posted by ann m
I say car-mel now, instead of ca-ra-mel
I always thought Carmel was a place in California that Clint Eastwood was Mayor of once ...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

It's an evolutionary process, I guess.
Jim's beginning to pick up the inflection at the end of his sentences thing, (which drives me mad) and sometimes for ease of understanding I'll pronounce things the 'Canadian way'. Luckily I work with a lot of South Africans and Brits - so I get to speak 'proper' at work and exercise my sense of humour too!

The one that gets me the most is buoy, promounced 'boo-ee' -not that it comes up in conversation particularly often.

Judy, I have to go off-topic here - I haven't been on BE for ages and I've just seen your new avatar. OMG - you look the spitting image of my MIL - quite scared me for a minute.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling, but I am not positive that Carmel in California is pronounced car-MELLE. However, I was just watching a cooking show with Anna Olson and she definitely said car-a-mel sauce!! So maybe its just the folks out west that call it car-mel.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:21 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandNic

The one that gets me the most is buoy, promounced 'boo-ee' -not that it comes up in conversation particularly often.
Odd that, I have heard it pronounced 'boo-ee' in the US but I've only heard the pronunciation 'boy' here. True though, I'm not usually aorund sea-faring folk.

One thing I've noted in convewrsations is the use of 'me either' instead of 'me neither'. Does it come from 'not me either' or what?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, all the time on TV its boo-ee!

Don't know about the either/neither thing. I don't know that I've ever heard me either but perhaps I never noticed.

My neighbour always got mixed up between "soffits" and "fawcetts". Don't know why because hardly anybody calls taps "fawcetts" around here.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:45 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Yes, all the time on TV its boo-ee!

Don't know about the either/neither thing. I don't know that I've ever heard me either but perhaps I never noticed.

My neighbour always got mixed up between "soffits" and "fawcetts". Don't know why because hardly anybody calls taps "fawcetts" around here.
How about "faucets"!