Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

That 3-month introductory con

That 3-month introductory con

Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That 3-month introductory con

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
These companies could do a lot for their image if they didn't play games and have contracts one needs a lawyer to understand.

That is why I like Shaw, I can call and suspend service today without penalty if I need to.
I find it all a bit bemusing.

Original TV was Starchoice (it became Shaw), phone/internet from the start was BellAliant then we went fibreop and then moved TV to BellAliant with the three bundle deal. Never signed a thing at any stage with any of them.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Had the lovely Bell people banging on the door yesterday (honestly, I prefer the Jehovah's witnesses) talking about a $45/ month hi speed internet plan. I'm pretty sure that'll be three months only, leading into a 2-year contract you can only get out of by dropping dead or fleeing to Afghanistan.

Got me wondering- didn't they ban those deals in the UK/EU because so many less astute peeps were signing up then getting into serious financial shit?

I might tell them that next time....
I don't recall them being banned, and there are still plenty of introductory discount offers being made by Sky, BT, Virgin etc. There may be some stronger legislation regarding cancellation. I know that there's a 14 day automatic cooling off period in which you can cancel any contract (including insurance) that you purchase online. EU law. Let's see how long that lasts in the brave new world.

Recently saw this CBC video on Canadian internet. Seems like there are somewhat better deals to be had if one is willing to turn their backs on the big boys.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inte...nada-1.4596554
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:56 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticed a GBP 79.00 charge to my Amex card, which was odd as I've not used it recently. On investigation, it's an auto-enrol for Amazon Prime, which is also odd as I've not signed up for Amazon Prime either.

Further investigation reveals that one year ago I made a purchase on normal Amazon, failed to untick a box in the small print that says something like "customer agrees to subscribe to Amazon Prime in 365 days time...".

The very helpful woman on the Amex helpline (a "customer care professional", no less) told me she has had hundreds and hundreds of complaints about this Amazon Prime "scam".

Anyway, all sorted, got my refund in process and will avoid using Amazon in future, that's really sneaky behaviour.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:15 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

The very helpful woman on the Amex helpline (a "customer care professional", no less) told me she has had hundreds and hundreds of complaints about this Amazon Prime "scam".

Anyway, all sorted, got my refund in process and will avoid using Amazon in future, that's really sneaky behaviour.
I must say, I find that to be gobsmackingly awful - that's really shabby, Amazon should be pilloried for this
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Further investigation reveals that one year ago I made a purchase on normal Amazon, failed to untick a box in the small print that says something like "customer agrees to subscribe to Amazon Prime in 365 days time...".

Considering how far ahead Amazon is, IT wise, you have to assume they have gone out of their way to do this.

I haven't seen it in quite the same way as described and I'd have to go through an ordering process to remind myself.

But I remember that that they had a clear and obvious button for free delivery with a Prime trial but there was not an equally clear and obvious button for a "no thanks" or whatever the option was, just a continue button. I think.

I remember having the impression that by clicking continue, I was rejecting the Prime trial, but the item I was ordering was a free delivery anyway, so it wasn't as if free free delivery should have alerted me.

My order acknowledgement email referred to me having signed up for the trial and I immediately responded telling them I hadn't intended to do that and that their buttons were very unclear. I later discovered the "no thanks" option wasn't actually a button as such, just words. It was however clickable.

However, it appeared as if you were saying "no thanks" by clicking continue, whereas clicking continue was accepting the Prime trial.

To be fair, Amazon immediately apologised and twice confirmed they'd cancelled the trial.

I just went through the ordering process to remind myself and it does appear to have changed in that a check is now needed to get the trial.

So they may have responded to complaints.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 3:24 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

Recently saw this CBC video on Canadian internet. Seems like there are somewhat better deals to be had if one is willing to turn their backs on the big boys.

It's a Canadian thing: Why big phone companies still dominate internet services amid cheaper options | CBC News

It's a Canadian thing: Why big phone companies still dominate internet services amid cheaper options | CBC News
Yeah, I'd sooner go without than sign anything with Bill or Rogerers. Work phone is on a Rogers contract so if I leave of my own account I'll probably be forced to carry that with me or sacrifice my firstborn...