Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

$7000 to paint a tree blue

$7000 to paint a tree blue

Old Oct 28th 2015, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default $7000 to paint a tree blue

This has been a hot topic in town. Appears 1 tree was painted.

Its part of some public art program.

So waste of money? Or good use to support the arts and create conversation?

http://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/trees-turn-blue-as-project-begins-1.2094175
Old Oct 28th 2015, 5:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $7000 to paint a tree blue

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This has been a hot topic in town. Appears 1 tree was painted.

Its part of some public art program.

So waste of money? Or good use to support the arts and create conversation?

Trees turn blue, as project begins
I like it.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 5:13 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whether this is an example of poor budget allocation.
My experience, which may not be the case here, is that local authorities allocate amounts in their budgets to various activities, one of which will probably have been 'the arts'.
One consequence of this is that where few applications request support within any particular activity then some barmy ideas will be given cash. So why, I hear you ask, if the idea is so barmy isn't it thrown out. Well this is where local authority finance, that operates under the 'use it or lose it' rule, will ensure that normally sensible people will club together to ensure that the budget is used to the full, even if it means painting trees blue.
Of course it may be different in Canada but I doubt it.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im hoping the decision to do this was a democratic process.
Was the colour of the paint voted on as this could be discriminating against other paint colours.
Was the paint to be used put up for tender or was it a sole source tender from a supplier. I wonder if the Dulux legal team are looking at this and wondering if they should launch an appeal.
Was it a particular type of tree chosen to be painted bearing in mind there are several varieties of trees who might feel they were not consulted during the process.

The Arts I have never understood them and I don't think I ever will.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I like it.
I'm a bit 'meh' about this one, from the photo, but it might be better irl. I'm for public art in principle though. I would have loved to see the rotating building front in Liverpool, and I bet that cost a LOT more than $7500.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I wonder whether this is an example of poor budget allocation.
My experience, which may not be the case here, is that local authorities allocate amounts in their budgets to various activities, one of which will probably have been 'the arts'.
One consequence of this is that where few applications request support within any particular activity then some barmy ideas will be given cash. So why, I hear you ask, if the idea is so barmy isn't it thrown out. Well this is where local authority finance, that operates under the 'use it or lose it' rule, will ensure that normally sensible people will club together to ensure that the budget is used to the full, even if it means painting trees blue.
Of course it may be different in Canada but I doubt it.
It's similar here, major public contracts have to include 1% for public art, which often seems to mean some brightly coloured scrap iron being "installed" adjacent to whatever is being built.

So far as the blue trees go, they did nothing for me. I quite liked the brightly coloured cows scattered around downtown Chicago in 1999. A city down here had a similar program for pigs a few years ago.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 28th 2015 at 7:24 pm.