Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

$2,000 and counting - guilty pleasures

$2,000 and counting - guilty pleasures

Old May 1st 2015, 5:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $2,000 and counting - guilty pleasures

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
...musical was fantastic, particularly in the execution...

I thought it was a family show!!
Old May 1st 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
If Chris de Burgh comes to Toronto shall we go? I kinda like him in a nostalgic kind of way
You're on! (But only if we go on the bus - all cheesy concerts must be preceded by a coach trip)

Schnooks - was Once any good? I'm very tempted by the adverts.
Old May 1st 2015, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

The staff at the local Cabelas know us pretty well now,no idea how much I have spent in that store over the past 2 years lol.
Old May 2nd 2015, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I'm sitting at the garage waiting to waste $$$$s fixing the car, so I'd much rather be spending it on concert tickets! It's something I never get round to somehow. Have fun tonight, wish I was there! ( also as someone who has seen Barry Manilow more than once - I went with a friend..... I don't think Chris is that embarrassing )
My dad was a big Barry Manilow fan. I went to see Barry in concert in Manchester with my mum and dad in December 2008 just before I moved to Canada and I'm going to see Barry again later this month, he's coming to Vancouver on May 26th.
Old May 2nd 2015, 2:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I like Tinpusher am a camera whore- can never get enough then a new sexy Dell powerful ultra book to take away with me to mess with the images (Snoopdawg calls it fannying around... I'm saying nothing!) Then travel to get nice photos- Costa Rica here we come!
She like Sharkus worships at the alter of Apple, 5k top specced Mac. Most underutilised processor on the planet... Solitaire, web browsing ...
. And unfortunately she has an eye on the iWatch .. I am praying that this will be the cheaper one, not 18k or she can go find a new kennel to live in!

I have cunning plan
Apple says tattoos can cause watch problems - BBC News
I'm talking her into getting a few tattoos, just at the wrists, going up the arms ... It might work!
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, look at you all, wonderful splurges of the dollars - I'm very impressed with you.

Once Republic last night was pretty good - my only (constant) complaint is about the venue. Calgary always uses the Saddledome which was built for hockey and not great acoustics. Imagine Dragons next month though, so ear-drums at the ready.

I LOVE musicals too Schnooks but I have been a little disappointed about the Canadian Broadway on Tour type ones that come to our city. The venue is usually the Jubilee Auditorium (which has wonderful acoustics by the way) but the stage shows always seem a scaled back version and although competent, not as polished as I expect when spending stupid money. We saw West Side Story last year and for $500 for the four of us, I was not impressed at all.

It's made me wary about booking any others. I'd book one in London or New York or Toronto though, as they would be professional static shows.

Well done everybody - keep buying....
Old May 2nd 2015, 5:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Oh, look at you all, wonderful splurges of the dollars - I'm very impressed with you.

Once Republic last night was pretty good - my only (constant) complaint is about the venue. Calgary always uses the Saddledome which was built for hockey and not great acoustics. Imagine Dragons next month though, so ear-drums at the ready.

I LOVE musicals too Schnooks but I have been a little disappointed about the Canadian Broadway on Tour type ones that come to our city. The venue is usually the Jubilee Auditorium (which has wonderful acoustics by the way) but the stage shows always seem a scaled back version and although competent, not as polished as I expect when spending stupid money. We saw West Side Story last year and for $500 for the four of us, I was not impressed at all.

It's made me wary about booking any others. I'd book one in London or New York or Toronto though, as they would be professional static shows.

We saw wicked last year, was pretty good overall. But the seating at the theatre in Vancouver is not good for tall people, worse then a movie theatre.

But the show was good. First time I had been to a musical.

If I could have picked a talent to have, acting would be it. Looks fun...lol

Probably why my wife used to do it.
Old May 4th 2015, 2:45 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
You're on! (But only if we go on the bus - all cheesy concerts must be preceded by a coach trip)

Schnooks - was Once any good? I'm very tempted by the adverts.
It was decent. The music was great, really different from other musicals, the story was maybe a bit weaker, but it was still enjoyable. One that's worth seeing, but you can get away with cheaper seats and still be just fine. (Other shows I would recommend better seats, this one doesn't really need it.)

Originally Posted by ann m

yeah a lot of it depends on the size of the venue. I've seen Wicked in a few cities, and certainly the production was a little bit more limited in the smaller theatres. The more "permanent" the show the better the stage production I think - shows in London or NY will be there often for years; even in Toronto they often only do 8 week stints, sometimes less (though there are exceptions - We Will Rock You and Jersey Boys each ran for ~5 years I think, and Phantom ran for 10 - ah Colm Wilkinson...). Worth looking into the venue. As James posts below, a theatre in Vancouver probably is going to be big enough to do the show justice.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We saw wicked last year, was pretty good overall. But the seating at the theatre in Vancouver is not good for tall people, worse then a movie theatre.

But the show was good. First time I had been to a musical.
A lot of theatres aren't great space-wise, especially the older ones. I'm going to see Kinky Boots in June, but it's at my least favourite theatre in Toronto, the Royal Alex, which has tiny squidgy seats... My parents flat out refuse to see shows there for that reason. I'm dying to see Kinky Boots so I'm sucking it up... Glad you liked it though, Wicked is my all-time favourite, just saw it for the 6th time last year (4th city - 3x in London, 1x Toronto, 1x Ottawa, 1x Buffalo).
Old May 4th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
My dad was a big Barry Manilow fan. I went to see Barry in concert in Manchester with my mum and dad in December 2008 just before I moved to Canada and I'm going to see Barry again later this month, he's coming to Vancouver on May 26th.
so glad I'm not the only one
Old May 4th 2015, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
A lot of theatres aren't great space-wise, especially the older ones. I'm going to see Kinky Boots in June, but it's at my least favourite theatre in Toronto, the Royal Alex, which has tiny squidgy seats... My parents flat out refuse to see shows there for that reason. I'm dying to see Kinky Boots so I'm sucking it up... Glad you liked it though, Wicked is my all-time favourite, just saw it for the 6th time last year (4th city - 3x in London, 1x Toronto, 1x Ottawa, 1x Buffalo).
Queen Elizabeth in Vancouver is made for short people, leg room non-existent and seats ultra low with no back support for tall folks...lol

I would have seen Wicked earlier if I had known it existed, I don't follow shows for the most part, just happened to see it advertise on TV and decided to see it as I like most Wizard of Oz related stuff.

I am glad I did, it was a really enjoyable show.