Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

We considering move to Malta

We considering move to Malta

Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Inguna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We considering move to Malta

Hello everyone! We felt in love with this beautiful island, especially my husband. At the moment we live in UK. I'm 46-have some ♿,not in wheelchair but I have damaged spine, use cruch, my husband -36, daughter -11.English talking, we know some other languages is well. We have small savings and thinking about moving to Malta. I looking for some honest advices, ideas and experience. If honest any replys. 😘 , please join me we start discuss. I read many negative posts. Would love to hear something positive as my husband so much in love with Malta and really wants to move.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We considering move to Malta

What passport do you hold ? If from the EU you can work in Malta. If not................
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
What passport do you hold ? If from the EU you can work in Malta. If not................
I have GB pasport, husband EU pasp, daughter GB
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Do you live there? How are with jobs in Malta?
Old Apr 27th 2018, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So BREXIT will impact on you ! Better get there before the Sky falls on your heads.
Old May 4th 2018, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

slammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Not wanting to rain on your dream, and I don´t know the extent of your spinal damage but the roads and pavements are not what I would call "disabled friendly" Driving and walking could be a problem and apart from the tourist areas, ways and means for disabled are not widespread.
Maybe come and take a look before you move.
Old May 4th 2018, 10:19 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inguna
Hello everyone! We felt in love with this beautiful island, especially my husband. At the moment we live in UK. I'm 46-have some ♿,not in wheelchair but I have damaged spine, use cruch, my husband -36, daughter -11.English talking, we know some other languages is well. We have small savings and thinking about moving to Malta. I looking for some honest advices, ideas and experience. If honest any replys. 😘 , please join me we start discuss. I read many negative posts. Would love to hear something positive as my husband so much in love with Malta and really wants to move.
Malta has got to the point where it's too expensive to live there unless both adults are working, especially now that the tourist season is here.

Rents for a 2-bedroom are €600 (£500) per month upwards, and you'll need the first month's rent plus one month's rent as deposit plus half a month's rent for the agent's fees. On a £500 pm rental, that's £1,250 upfront before you move in, and some landlords will illegally try and force you out if they find someone willing to pay more (or one of their family members wants somewhere to stay. You'd also be very lucky to find a place to rent that is wheelchair-friendly unless you're prepared to pay double the £500 pm.

Minimum wage is less than £4 per hour, and most jobs will be in hospitality (hotels, restaurants, cleaning), though anyone fluent in other languages could look at the iGaming (online gambling) industry where pay is much higher.

Public Transport isn't wheelchair accessible, but if you can manage a few stairs is doable. But as Slammer says, the pavements can be terrible.

Originally Posted by slammer
Not wanting to rain on your dream, and I don´t know the extent of your spinal damage but the roads and pavements are not what I would call "disabled friendly" Driving and walking could be a problem and apart from the tourist areas, ways and means for disabled are not widespread.
Maybe come and take a look before you move.
Yes, definitely visit for a couple of weeks and look at what you need.
Old May 4th 2018, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Malta has got to the point where it's too expensive to live there unless both adults are working, especially now that the tourist season is here.

Rents for a 2-bedroom are €600 (£500) per month upwards, and you'll need the first month's rent plus one month's rent as deposit plus half a month's rent for the agent's fees. On a £500 pm rental, that's £1,250 upfront before you move in, and some landlords will illegally try and force you out if they find someone willing to pay more (or one of their family members wants somewhere to stay. You'd also be very lucky to find a place to rent that is wheelchair-friendly unless you're prepared to pay double the £500 pm.

Minimum wage is less than £4 per hour, and most jobs will be in hospitality (hotels, restaurants, cleaning), though anyone fluent in other languages could look at the iGaming (online gambling) industry where pay is much higher.

Public Transport isn't wheelchair accessible, but if you can manage a few stairs is doable. But as Slammer says, the pavements can be terrible.

Yes, definitely visit for a couple of weeks and look at what you need.
I now know two people out of the diving community where that has happened, not wanting to diss our Eastern €uropean neighbours but they come cash in hand and are prepared to pay more for a flat where five or six of them take residence. At the moment in St Paul´s there is no affordable living space to be had. Period! Even in the gaming industry where wages are (relatively, at least for Malta) high, people have now started to go leave.
This is going to get bad I fear.
Old May 4th 2018, 11:07 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slammer
I now know two people out of the diving community where that has happened, not wanting to diss our Eastern €uropean neighbours but they come cash in hand and are prepared to pay more for a flat where five or six of them take residence. At the moment in St Paul´s there is no affordable living space to be had. Period! Even in the gaming industry where wages are (relatively, at least for Malta) high, people have now started to go leave.
This is going to get bad I fear.
iGaming has another issue. People are hired on contracts with a probation period, and after making their own way to Malta and signing a year-long rental agreement, they're being told after 3months that they haven't passed probation. So they then have no job, and are still responsible for the rent for 9 months.

And if they're non-EU in Malta on a work permit, that permit is tied to the employer. It's not easy getting another.
Old May 4th 2018, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
iGaming has another issue. People are hired on contracts with a probation period, and after making their own way to Malta and signing a year-long rental agreement, they're being told after 3months that they haven't passed probation. So they then have no job, and are still responsible for the rent for 9 months.

And if they're non-EU in Malta on a work permit, that permit is tied to the employer. It's not easy getting another.
Malta really has some big issues and you really wonder what will happen in the future. The island is already overpopulated, but they also want the economy to grow and need to attract more foreigners.
https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/n...n#.WuxFlmyWxPY
So here they say that 29% of foreign workers leave after 3 years, which might be a good thing for the island, or how many people do they really want. 3 million does sound like a joke:-)
Old May 4th 2018, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Malta really has some big issues and you really wonder what will happen in the future. The island is already overpopulated, but they also want the economy to grow and need to attract more foreigners.
https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/n...n#.WuxFlmyWxPY
So here they say that 29% of foreign workers leave after 3 years, which might be a good thing for the island, or how many people do they really want. 3 million does sound like a joke:-)
If I remember correctly, Malta requires 400,000 temporary seasonal workers each year for the tourism industry.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Volker is an unknown quantity at this point

So BREXIT will impact on you ! Better get there before the Sky falls on your heads.
Here is some points for possible impact caused by BREXIT https://www.integritas-trustees.com/...iding-in-malta

Hope this will make it more clear to discuss author's situation.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Volker
Here is some points for possible impact caused by BREXIT https://www.integritas-trustees.com/...iding-in-malta

Hope this will make it more clear to discuss author's situation.
Interesting as from next year on Malta will be the only county both in the EU and the Commonwealth, there should be some interesting twists and turns a-coming.
Sadly I am leaving Malta in a few days after four and a half years and even in this relatively short period I see that Malta is being (I coined this phrase myself and it went viral) "Benidormized," the national bird is the crane and the national tree is now the greased palm. Just looking out of my window in Bugibba I can see 10 tower cranes and hear the jackhammers that have been hammering away every morning since six. The roads are crumbling, national treasures are being destroyed, corruption is rife, rents have climbed into Swiss territory, boutique hotels are being built at an alarming rate along with luxury apartments that nobody on a crappy Maltese wage can afford and Albert town is now Malta´s first no-go area, the mafia have a stranglehold on commerce and politics and Caruana Galizia´s murder is still unsolved.
Development, development, development at any price, but I see a bubble that will burst in the next five years, it can´t go on at this temperature and then Malta will be covered with half built edifices that nobody wants or can afford. Next object in the sights of these developers is Manoel Island with one of the prime dive sights on the Island, the X-127 or the Carolita as it is also known, on of the few in-situ war wrecks and a veteran of the Galipoli assault from WW1, one fine day it will be dredged out of existence.
Don´t get me wrong I love it here but I fear that in a few years that what makes Malta Malta will be gone forever.