Reload this Page >

Single Lady Moving to Malta from UK

Single Lady Moving to Malta from UK

Old May 1st 2017, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Louise43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Lady Moving to Malta from UK

Hi Everyone,

Im a single lady looking for work in Malta I had previously worked as an expat years ago in Libya so I used to visit Malta but not since 1982.

I am 62 now but still have to work full time. I have a housing association flat in the UK so Id have to investigate if I can keep it or lose it as I cant pay two rents.

Can anyone tell me what the rents are like. What are the taxes like. Whats a good place to live for a single person. Any information would be useful.

Best Wishes
Louise
Old May 1st 2017, 9:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Lady Moving to Malta from UK

You plan sounds very shaky to me. I personally would not expect the housing association to keep the flat for you if you cannot pay the rent and as you have stated that you cannot pay two rents it seems certain that you would lose it. Having a permanent home such as this is important as you get older so maybe it would be more stable for you if you initially looked into having long holidays in Malta rather than making such a life changing decision.

Do you have full time work in the UK? I hate to say it because I know that it is hurtful but your age may be against you regarding finding work.

Sorry for my negativity, I really hope that you can find a way of following your dream.

Rosemary
Old May 1st 2017, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Rosemary,
thank you that is sound advice. I will seriously consider that. But now my mum is no longer here i dont want to stay in stansted an ive had an interview with an agent in malta for a PA role. I dont get my pension for five years yet and also there is Brexit to consider for expats it might not be a positive thing! im not in a permanent job at the moment its a contract which is ending.

Thank you
Louise
Old May 1st 2017, 10:17 am
Just Joined

What is it like living in Malta?
Old May 1st 2017, 10:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise43
What is it like living in Malta?
Sorry, I have no idea as I live in Spain.

I am happy to hear that you have had an interview, that is one step closer for you. My biggest fears are that you would not gain employment and also that you would lose your housing association flat because if you found that you wanted to return to the UK at a later stage you would possibly find housing an issue.

Good luck with your research.

Rosemary
Old May 12th 2017, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

slammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Louise43
Hi Everyone,

Im a single lady looking for work in Malta I had previously worked as an expat years ago in Libya so I used to visit Malta but not since 1982.

I am 62 now but still have to work full time. I have a housing association flat in the UK so Id have to investigate if I can keep it or lose it as I cant pay two rents.

Can anyone tell me what the rents are like. What are the taxes like. Whats a good place to live for a single person. Any information would be useful.

Best Wishes
Louise
UFF! How long is a piece of string? Rents can be horrendous as a lot of eastern Europeans are on the market paying any price which in turn raises the prices for everybody else, Taxes are ok-ish, and where to live is all about what you want, quite like someplace inland our loud like Bugibba.
Best grab a Ryanair tourist bomber from Stanstead and come and see yourself.
Old May 19th 2017, 6:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Louise, what is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Do you want to live in Malta all year round or go back & forth to the UK?

If you are looking for a winter getaway then it's possible to do in a package or a all-in apartment hotel for approx €500/mth

for reference only http://www.falconcourtmalta.com/special-offers/

Factor in flight costs, transportation, whether you want to work in Malta or take long holidays away?

Do you want to live/stay in Malta or on Gozo?

If you want to maintain a full time residence in Malta & aren't too fussy about it not being too posh, a furnished one-bedroom is doable for approx €400/mth include utilities. €300/mth for the rental + €100/mth utilities give or take.

Then you need to get around by bus, groceries etc
Old Feb 14th 2018, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

You can ask the Housing Ass if you can sublet your home for a year and see how it goes. This means they will give it to somebody else and you will be expected to be in touch with them before the end of the year to come back or give the house up. This will give you some breathing space to see if Malta works out for you and employment works out for you in the long run.
You have received good advice to come on holiday and look round. There is vast choices, rural, built up, beach resorts, pretty quaint old villages. You need to do a reccie. Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cermignano
You can ask the Housing Ass if you can sublet your home for a year and see how it goes. This means they will give it to somebody else and you will be expected to be in touch with them before the end of the year to come back or give the house up. This will give you some breathing space to see if Malta works out for you and employment works out for you in the long run.
You have received good advice to come on holiday and look round. There is vast choices, rural, built up, beach resorts, pretty quaint old villages. You need to do a reccie. Good luck
This seems sound advice providing the job offer is confirmed. As a great man once said, "Always have an escape plan."
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the OP has apparently not been around since May of last year. Wonder if she ever took up that PA job.......
Old Feb 16th 2018, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cermignano
Curious as to what the HA might make of such a scheme.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Cermignano - our Housing Association (in Scotland) would not agree to what you propose. Maybe they do it differently South of the Border.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP did not come back I would like to reiterate that subletting would almost certainly NOT be permitted by the Housing Association.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

I live in Scotland and the three Council areas i have lived in have a sub-letting scheme but that is for council houses. I did it about 8 years ago when i had to go and care for somebody
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

But yes, OP seems to have disappeared