Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

1 week in Malta 5 December

1 week in Malta 5 December

Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 week in Malta 5 December

Hi

My BH & I are holidaying in Malta arriving 5/12. We are staying in Sliema, on one end of the promenade there.

We are happy to walk around a lot. Can rent a car for some days, but happy to bus.

We aren't 'professional tourists' meaning we don't do lots of research into building history etc. But enjoy seeing character buildings, nice views etc.

We are foodies and enjoy having a drink and watch the world go by.

We aren't on any budget, but won't say eat in a Michelin 2star resto. Preferring friendly places with great food, not posh, but nice and friendly

If any have recommendations of places to visit / things to do / good casual dining and/or places to enjoy a drink etc, I would appreciate any advice, for this 'low season' time of year.

If we have a few rainy days, again advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:30 pm
Gozo or bust.

RayA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1 week in Malta 5 December

Not sure you would find Michelin starred in Malta. :<}
Lots of places to eat on the Strand from McD upwards and very busy during December so plenty to observe plus ferry to Valletta only about 1.50 e/w, lots to see there. We used the weekly bus pass at about 20+ for unlimited travel. A car certainly gives more freedom, I think it cost us about 80 last Jan for 10 days inc ins protection (Avis I think). We are over again on 1st Dec for a couple of months this time, in Qawra.
Hope the weather is as good as last year.
Ray
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Before you rent a car be sure to observe the area you're staying, you might spend half a week looking for a parking space.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maltaman
Before you rent a car be sure to observe the area you're staying, you might spend half a week looking for a parking space.
Thanks for the feedback re Malta I think the busses are a great way to get around so will probably not rent. Also a whole week for 20Euros sounds like a good deal... do I buy them on the bus, or do I have to go to the ticket offices please?

Are taxis expensive please.. say for going from one main town to another?

Thanks again

Jon
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Good choice, if you land during the day the ticket office in the airport is good, otherwise there are points around the Islands, look at the tallinja site for all the transport info. Without the pass you will pay lots on single trip 2 hour tickets. Good luck, enjoy your break.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:34 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by maltaman
Good choice, if you land during the day the ticket office in the airport is good, otherwise there are points around the Islands, look at the tallinja site for all the transport info. Without the pass you will pay lots on single trip 2 hour tickets. Good luck, enjoy your break.
Thanks Maltaman, we arrive late, so we will check online or ask the hotel for the nearest ticket office.

Jon
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Jon I missed the taxi part, they are fairly expensive and should be negotiated before taken, North, South and Gozo tour bus's offer great value for hitting on all the attractions, The North South tours will usually on request pick and return you to the hotel free of charge, they also have a web site for info.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:56 am
Gozo or bust.

The weekly pass cost 21 Euro and gives unlimited travel on Malta and Gozo (not Gozo Ferry). You could get one at the ferries ticket office on the Strand in Sliema.
On the bus I think it's now 1.5 Euro, valid for 2 hours as already stated.
I would confirm parking in Sliema not good, we were in Qawra and I managed to park within 50 mtrs of hotel every day in January.
This year we have already got our own Tallinja prepaid cards as we are staying for 2 months and these are the cheapest option.
Enjoy your stay.
Ray
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:11 am
Gozo or bust.

One thing to be aware of. Timeshare sales people are rife in Sliema. Avoid at all costs. they can spot you at 1000 paces and are very persuasive. Best thing to tell them is you are a resident.
As Maltaman states the tour buses can be good value, shop around though as prices do vary, you can usually get a deal if you book a 2 harbours cruise or a cruise to Gozo at the same time. I think we did them all. Plenty of sales people on the Strand as you will find.
Ray
Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:21 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by RayA
One thing to be aware of. Timeshare sales people are rife in Sliema. Avoid at all costs. they can spot you at 1000 paces and are very persuasive. Best thing to tell them is you are a resident.
As Maltaman states the tour buses can be good value, shop around though as prices do vary, you can usually get a deal if you book a 2 harbours cruise or a cruise to Gozo at the same time. I think we did them all. Plenty of sales people on the Strand as you will find.
Ray
Thanks RayA and maltaman

Really handy info, depending on the weather we will check out the tours and I think having the weekly pass is a good deal as well.

Gosh we will (try to) avoid the timeshare people like the plague! Hopefully as a regtired salesperson, I will know some of the 'tricks' - to avoid.

Thanks again

Jon
Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:49 pm
Gozo or bust.

If you take the tour bus, get an early one as the service is reduced during winter months so if you decide to stop at any point along the route and get the next bus then you may find that you will be only stopping at a couple of places. I reckon we've seen most of Malta from a tour bus but never got off one anywhere.
We fly out on Wednesday for 8 weeks.
If you already have a timeshare you will find that they will try to get you to swap/exchange., there's no winning, we were offered a 100Euro + tour tickets, just to go and look around an aparthotel, not worth the hassle. To make it harder, the touts are usually English or Scots.
Onre point worth remembering about the buses on Malta, they don't run to timetables, even though they are quoted at the stops and online, mostly due to the traffic. On Gozo however they are pretty reliable, again down to the traffic.
We have finished packing now and just making sure the house is good for 2 winter months. We will also be arriving at MIA late but have booked a transfer to Qawra.
Enjoy your stay.
Ray
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Positive

If you take the tour bus, get an early one as the service is reduced during winter months so if you decide to stop at any point along the route and get the next bus then you may find that you will be only stopping at a couple of places. I reckon we've seen most of Malta from a tour bus but never got off one anywhere.
We fly out on Wednesday for 8 weeks.
If you already have a timeshare you will find that they will try to get you to swap/exchange., there's no winning, we were offered a 100Euro + tour tickets, just to go and look around an aparthotel, not worth the hassle. To make it harder, the touts are usually English or Scots.
Onre point worth remembering about the buses on Malta, they don't run to timetables, even though they are quoted at the stops and online, mostly due to the traffic. On Gozo however they are pretty reliable, again down to the traffic.
We have finished packing now and just making sure the house is good for 2 winter months. We will also be arriving at MIA late but have booked a transfer to Qawra.
Enjoy your stay.
Ray
Thanks again Ray

No way will we go for the touts, even if its pouring down and they are taking us somewhere dry!

It looks like the weather forecast isn't good for us both for the first week, unfortunately for us that could affect the whole week's holiday.

Good point about the bus, maybe a way to see around from the dry of the bus.

But Im sure for you it will get better and you will enjoy some winter sunshine - in a beautiful part of the world!

Jon
Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:49 am
Gozo or bust.

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks again Ray

No way will we go for the touts, even if its pouring down and they are taking us somewhere dry!

It looks like the weather forecast isn't good for us both for the first week, unfortunately for us that could affect the whole week's holiday.

Good point about the bus, maybe a way to see around from the dry of the bus.

But Im sure for you it will get better and you will enjoy some winter sunshine - in a beautiful part of the world!

Jon
I don't think we got 300 yds from the hotel before being accosted.
How are you finding Malta the weather has not been too bad.
Ray in Qawra
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:39 am
BE Positive

I don't think we got 300 yds from the hotel before being accosted.
How are you finding Malta the weather has not been too bad.
Ray in Qawra
Hi Ray

Like Baldric, we had a 'cunning plan' .. I think most were selling tours, but we avoided them all by speaking French!

Weather was mixed in Sliema sometimes it was chucking it down. Other times we were happy if we could walk around even though overcast..

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your stay for Xmas and the New year
Jon
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:43 am
BE Positive

I just wanted to say thank you for the advice. I cut'n' pasted the info into a list on my phone. We had a good time though the weather was dodgy at times. Allowing me to keep in touch with the forum When the sun came out switch the dam thing off We did most of what everyone recommended. Plus other things. Hours of walking, including checking out non-tourist areas - just to see how they live. We didnt take the 7 day unlimited bus pass as the first 2 days were on foot and we also did the hop on/off bus when it got bad... then some people gave us an unexpired pass with a day and half on it. But this I would also recommend to anyone

Some stand outs:

The friendly people

The heat! Even with rain. I was in shorts and short sleeved shirt day and night, had I known, I would've taken my sandals (but 'no socks please, we're British' . ) Mid December!!

No rip offs. Even on the strand right on the beach, the prices weren't elevated. Go to France & you'll pay double at least. Even at the Gozo ferry terminal, once they 'had you' after the electronic check in the prices were fine. Also on the ferry.

The best public transport.

Glad we chose the strand/Sliema as first timers was perfectly located. First day we walked 24K steps for hours to Valetta, the next all over St Julians and Paceville 22k, (the last not our fave place, but couldn't believe 60 shots for 19.90 eur!!)

Rabat - a living town and Gozo greenery and scenery with some great stops, if we bought we would probably buy there as there is the 24hr ferry

Loadsa history! But an unexpected free pleasure was the miles of aquaducts... And the line of sight 'beacon-forts'. All that built without modern tools, and so much more beautiful than the rubbish we can make with them, these days!

I've been a lot to Texas. But nowhere I've been has so many burgers in the restos!! E.g Italian resto: pizza, pasta..... and burgers! Had a laugh at the airport on leaving yesterday .... What do you have there? A hard rock cafe!!

Lots more, but just wanted to say thanks

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 13th 2016 at 8:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.