Reload this Page >

Need school for 13 year old in Malta

Need school for 13 year old in Malta

Old Jun 14th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

micat22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need school for 13 year old in Malta

Hi
We are looking to re-locate to Malta so the kids can start school from this September. I have family in Malta (Maltese & Libyan) but as their kids speak Maltese they are a little unsure of International schools, so I wanted to get advice from other Expats on what they found. My son will be 13 & ready to start year 9 and he is the main concern. I have heard about San Andrea/Anton, St Martins, QSI but their websites don't give much away, so any advice would be very greatly received. Especially any details about whether they do GCSE's or not.
My daughter will be 5 in October - is it like the British system where she will start in September full-time? I'm happy to send her to state school as she is very bright and will take it in her stride - has anyone found any primary schools that are to be recommended (or not).
Also, what areas would anyone recommend? I've been a few times & my family are around San Gwann.
This is my first time using a forum - so please be gentle
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need school for 13 year old in Malta

Originally Posted by micat22
Hi
We are looking to re-locate to Malta so the kids can start school from this September. I have family in Malta (Maltese & Libyan) but as their kids speak Maltese they are a little unsure of International schools, so I wanted to get advice from other Expats on what they found. My son will be 13 & ready to start year 9 and he is the main concern. I have heard about San Andrea/Anton, St Martins, QSI but their websites don't give much away, so any advice would be very greatly received. Especially any details about whether they do GCSE's or not.
My daughter will be 5 in October - is it like the British system where she will start in September full-time? I'm happy to send her to state school as she is very bright and will take it in her stride - has anyone found any primary schools that are to be recommended (or not).
Also, what areas would anyone recommend? I've been a few times & my family are around San Gwann.
This is my first time using a forum - so please be gentle
Hi!! Welcome to BE

I can't really help on the private schools, as being Gozitan I only know of the state/Maltese speaking schools. What I can say, is the state system is exactly like the British system, starts in sept, ends late may/early june. Your daughter, being 5, will pick up Maltese very easily, and shouldn't have a problem at a state school. Your son, on the other hand, depends on how willing he is. I picked up basic Maltese when I went over in the summer, but I worked at it and I want to speak the language. If your son isn't too thrilled about the move / doesn't care to try and speak Maltese than I would say put him in a private school. The other thing is, and he definitely won't like this one , is that the secondary (state) schools in Malta are gender separated, meaning no girls in high school. Malta hasn't exactly gotten with the times on this one. The private schools I believe are mixed gender.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Gozit; Jun 15th 2014 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

financeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need school for 13 year old in Malta

St Martins/Chiswick house are a good choice. Many Maltese go, but mainly English speaking. Reasonable fees. Especially compared to UK Private Schools. Part of fees are tax deductible too! They are Coed, the young ones got to Chiswick in San Gwann and then move up to St Martins in Swatar.

Hope that is useful.