Reload this Page >

moving to gozo with children

moving to gozo with children

Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

svgb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to gozo with children

Hello there
I guess I am already an expat as I have lived in italy for many years but to be honest I have never considered myself so - probably because I moved here from uni to work and never went back to the UK.
Now however my husband and I are considering uprooting to gozo with our 2 children - 10yo and 7yo - to make a new start and the decision feels bigger and scarier than 20 years ago!
My husband is italian but speaks good English. My kids' first language is italian but they have a resonable knowledge of spoken english even though reading and writing is not so good.
Both of us are self employed and at least to begin with my husband will keep his italian business going.
My first question is about schooling:
I have read there are three types of school in Malta. .... on gozo will I be able to find educational facilities to suit my kids?
My second question is a clarification of taxation...what is double taxation???
Thanks
Svgb
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to gozo with children

Originally Posted by svgb
My first question is about schooling:
I have read there are three types of school in Malta. .... on gozo will I be able to find educational facilities to suit my kids?
My second question is a clarification of taxation...what is double taxation???

Svgb
Yes, three different type of school - state run, Private & International schools

Education & Schools on Gozo

https://www.gov.mt/en/Services-And-I...Education.aspx

https://www.gov.mt/en/Life%20Events/...Education.aspx

http://curriculum.gov.mt/en/Pages/Home.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o....C4.A7awdex.29

In the link below, there is no double taxation agreement between Malta & Italy

Italy-Malta Double Taxation Agreement - Chetcuti Cauchi, Malta

Malta tax rates & related info

https://ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx

https://ird.gov.mt/default.aspx

Self employment residence card application

http://identitymalta.com/wp-content/.../form-a_A4.pdf

For sale & rentals on Gozo

Long Term Rental - Gozo Apartments & Penthouses, various properties for long term Rental, various location on Gozo

Frank Salt Real Estate Malta: The Charms of Gozo

Gozo Prime - Property in Gozo, Malta at the best prices on the market!

Long-let Rentals - Gozo Prime Properties

http://www.quicklets.com.mt/property-in-gozo

Healthcare questions

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

http://www.malta.com/en/local-information/health-care

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/about/

Last edited by not2old; Jul 7th 2015 at 3:24 pm. Reason: added links
Old Jul 8th 2015, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much.
I dint suppose you or anyone else has had personal experience of schools on gozo....
Old Jul 8th 2015, 6:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svgb
Thank you so much.
I dint suppose you or anyone else has had personal experience of schools on gozo....
no, cant help on 'which school'

Gozo is relatively small & with the number of inhabitants, along with the number of schools, watering holes & churches, it more like a small community... well big UK town.

Gozo 67 km² (26 miles x 8.7 miles) ~35,000 people.

Suggest you google 'Gozo state school reviews'

One I found on a search was Naxxar primary was rated high from parents of Brit children who fitted in well.

You are in Italy, Malta is fairly close - maybe have a one week visit look at furnished places to rent as well as visit the schools. Better to spend a few euros doing that IMO

From within the link below, click on the 'explore Gozo' map to see each of the different areas/towns etc

Explore Gozo - Gozo Prime Properties
Old Jul 8th 2015, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
no, cant help on 'which school'

Gozo is relatively small & with the number of inhabitants, along with the number of schools, watering holes & churches, it more like a small community... well big UK town.

Gozo 67 km² (26 miles x 8.7 miles) ~35,000 people.

Suggest you google 'Gozo state school reviews'

One I found on a search was Naxxar primary was rated high from parents of Brit children who fitted in well.

You are in Italy, Malta is fairly close - maybe have a one week visit look at furnished places to rent as well as visit the schools. Better to spend a few euros doing that IMO

From within the link below, click on the 'explore Gozo' map to see each of the different areas/towns etc

Explore Gozo - Gozo Prime Properties
Thanks again!
We have just been there for two weeks - got home three days ago.
Unfortunately the schools were closing and we were unprepared.
Our idea has been to move on for a while now - gozo pushed all the right buttons.
Will follow your advice.
Svgb
Old Jul 8th 2015, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As for the school systems yes there are 3 kinds

Church schools - you do not want your kids to go here. They are run by nuns who are largely uneducated (ie do not hold teaching degree) ...

State schools - these are good, but instruction is largely in Maltese so your kids would have to adapt fast.

Private - These are obviously the best, instruction is in English and the class sizes are very small and there is lots of attention to individual children.

Your kids having good knowledge of spoken Italian is good. Lots of people speak Italian here so they will be OK.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 9:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Gozit
Hi

As for the school systems yes there are 3 kinds

Church schools - you do not want your kids to go here. They are run by nuns who are largely uneducated (ie do not hold teaching degree) ...

State schools - these are good, but instruction is largely in Maltese so your kids would have to adapt fast.

Private - These are obviously the best, instruction is in English and the class sizes are very small and there is lots of attention to individual children.

Your kids having good knowledge of spoken Italian is good. Lots of people speak Italian here so they will be OK.

Gozit, good to see you on the Malta thread & I understand that you are presently in Gozo?

Specific to the OP question, can you please do some leg work to find out & report back which 'state primary schools' are reviewed & have a good reputation?

Name, place address, location etc

Thanks

N20
Old Jul 9th 2015, 1:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

OP, maybe you could also google or contact folks or expats in the Italian community in Malta

one I found ...

Italian in Malta, Italian expats living in Malta
Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Morning
I have been doing some research and have more questions than answers. 😨
As far as I have learnt there is no independent school on gozo.
Gozo college is the umbrella for state schools - 11 elementary and 2 secondary.
This introduces the question of maltese. Reading around it seems that it is virtually impossible for expats to keep up????
Then there are the matsec exams at age 16????
The happy school in Victoria is well reviewed???
But is residence in the catchment area necessary????
I have suggested to my husband that we might need to take a year and hire a maltese au pair to start the kids but giacomo will start secondary school in 2016/2017...maybe it is too much ???
Do my kids have the right to maltese lessons outside of classes through a eu directive???
Think that is enough for now.