Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Marriage, Malta and moving to the UK...

Marriage, Malta and moving to the UK...

Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage, Malta and moving to the UK...

Hi,

A have a few short and concise questions that I'm hoping someone could answer. I'll lead up to the questions with a little background info fist.

I'm a UK citizen with a Filipino fiancé. We have been engaged for over 2 years. I work full time but I'm falling short of the £18,660 financial threshold needed to applying for a marriage visa. We want to live in the UK. We ideally would like to marry in the UK but that's not possible right now so we are looking at possibly residing in Malta and gaining entry to the UK through the Surinder Singh route. Here's my questions...

Could we enter Malta unmarried and get married in Malta?

If yes, could we then remain to live and work in Malta until it's possible to apply for a family permit to live in the UK?

Any help with these questions would be grateful. If there's any links or YouTube videos that can enlighten us on the process would be great also! :-)
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage, Malta and moving to the UK...

Hi

I'm sorry, I had written up a huge response to this then the computer deleted and it was late so i went to bed. Lol. Anyway.

The answers to your questions are all Yes.

The first thing you will need to do is inquire about applying for a Schengen visa for the Filipino spouse as Filipinos do not get visa free access to the Schengen zone, and therefore Malta. You can contact the Maltese consulate in Manila here:
Room 1242, Megaplaza Building, ADB Avenue c/w Garnet Road, Ortigas Center
Pasig City
Philippines
Phone
+63-2-687-7245
Fax
+63-2-687-7245
Email
[email protected]

Once you have an entry visa, you travel to Malta, preferably with a return ticket to help make things smoother at immigration, although I would say be honest with them because what you're doing is perfectly legal.

Once there, you both need to apply for eResidence cards.

See Residence

The British spouse needs to apply for an eResidence card form A http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-In...orm%20a_A4.pdf if they are employed or self employed. Form J http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-In...20Form%20J.pdf if they are self sufficient/living off savings.

Filipino spouse needs to file Form F http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-In...20Form%20F.pdf for their residence card.

Then generally you have to be in Malta for at least 3 months before you can apply for the EEA FP to live in the UK.

The tricky thing is the entry visa that will get you initial entry into Malta before you get the residence card. I would email/call the consulate and ask if they can facilitate an EEA FP to enter Malta or if you just apply the tourist visa. I'm sure it's the latter however.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Hi

I'm sorry, I had written up a huge response to this then the computer deleted and it was late so i went to bed. Lol. Anyway.

The answers to your questions are all Yes.

The first thing you will need to do is inquire about applying for a Schengen visa for the Filipino spouse as Filipinos do not get visa free access to the Schengen zone, and therefore Malta. You can contact the Maltese consulate in Manila here:
Room 1242, Megaplaza Building, ADB Avenue c/w Garnet Road, Ortigas Center
Pasig City
Philippines
Phone
+63-2-687-7245
Fax
+63-2-687-7245
Email
[email protected]

Once you have an entry visa, you travel to Malta, preferably with a return ticket to help make things smoother at immigration, although I would say be honest with them because what you're doing is perfectly legal.

Once there, you both need to apply for eResidence cards.

See Residence

The British spouse needs to apply for an eResidence card form A http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-In...orm%20a_A4.pdf if they are employed or self employed. Form J http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-In...20Form%20J.pdf if they are self sufficient/living off savings.

Filipino spouse needs to file Form F http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-In...20Form%20F.pdf for their residence card.

Then generally you have to be in Malta for at least 3 months before you can apply for the EEA FP to live in the UK.

The tricky thing is the entry visa that will get you initial entry into Malta before you get the residence card. I would email/call the consulate and ask if they can facilitate an EEA FP to enter Malta or if you just apply the tourist visa. I'm sure it's the latter however.

Hope this helps
Cheers
They did ask about getting married in Malta as well? can they?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They did ask about getting married in Malta as well? can they?
I don't see why not. Its legal in their EU freedom of movement rights. Technically after marriage the non-eu spouse would have to change their Maltese eResidence card from "partner of European Union citizen" to "spouse of European Union citizen" which is just a matter of filling the same form (Form F) again and applying for a new eResidence card, checking off "spouse" instead of "partner". This link provides info: Civil Weddings & Marriages - Malta Marriage Registry | Visit Malta

It seems rather tedious to do but not totally unrealistic.

Hope that helps
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

it looks like i'll be taking the SS route via Ireland and not Malta. It's more practical and makes the most sense for me and my fianc´as family from the UK could come over and visit easier than them travelling to malta amongst other particulars!

Thanks for all your messages and help an I'm sure I can transfer some of it to my SS route in Ireland!

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

supersteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Sola1,

I think you're making a wise move going to Ireland, especially if you happen to be in Malta during the off-season.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supersteve
Sola1,

I think you're making a wise move going to Ireland, especially if you happen to be in Malta during the off-season.

Steve which 'Surinder Singh' route will you be taking,Malta or Ireland?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/welco.../#post11682771
Old Jun 27th 2015, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

geebee1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was considering Ireland for SS but Malta really got me thinking.

It's correct that Ireland would be easier and more practical in many ways. However, it's going to be considerably more expensive and I'll be looking at Malta as a little bit of a life experience before eventually settling in the UK.

Lots of English TEFL jobs in Eastern Europe too with Slovakia in particular looking quite interesting.

Whatever happens, it's ridiculous the hoops we have to jump through to get to our home country.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geebee1978
I was considering Ireland for SS but Malta really got me thinking.

It's correct that Ireland would be easier and more practical in many ways. However, it's going to be considerably more expensive and I'll be looking at Malta as a little bit of a life experience before eventually settling in the UK.

Lots of English TEFL jobs in Eastern Europe too with Slovakia in particular looking quite interesting.

Whatever happens, it's ridiculous the hoops we have to jump through to get to our home country.
Maltese marriage certificates are in English & Maltese & besides 80% of the people speak English. Brits get free health cards as do their non EU spouses & Family Permits issued in Malta have a 100% success rate, which is far lower in Ireland

https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/Marriage.aspx

On TEFL in Malta

https://eflmalta.gov.mt/en/Pages/Req...ng-Permit.aspx

On another EU country, what about Lithuania?

EUROPA - Lithuania in the EU

Last edited by not2old; Jun 28th 2015 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Marriage, Malta and moving to the UK...

Thanks, I'll keep Malta in mind in case of a change in circumstances etc. :-)
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

We were refused a marriage/visitor (c) visa for Ireland today. They gave many different reason for the refusal which are baffling especially when my fiancé and myself provided overwhelming good evidences of our relationship and finances etc. but what can you do?! We could appeal all the refusals but this can take upto 8 weeks to receive a final decision which in during that time our proposed wedding day on September 23rd would be past! You also need to be together in Dublin 5 working days before the wedding to finish off all the relevant marriage registry necessities etc.! That's not going to happen, is it!

So, Malta seems like our last realistic hope of getting into my own country on the EEA FP! I've been flicking through most of the links you guys have posted above and they are helpful. Can I give you a poor hypothetical that isn't too far from the truth?! Imagine I've just been plonked on earth and haven't the slightest clue about this SS route. I'm not married to my fiancé and she has been plonked in the Philippines, somewhere in the south! Can you help me with a step by step guide (literal dummies guide!) of how to go about this process via Malta, keeping in mind we aren't married yet and I'm in England and she's over there at this moment of time?!

Any help?!

Thanks in advance! :-)
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Just to add, I've already requested to join the Facebook groups offering help for doing the SS route via Malta. Just waiting for those requests to be approved.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnUn...Malta/?fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/freemovementmalta/
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Sola1...

I've forgotten the idea of Ireland. Driving around in the rain looking for overpriced rents doesn't sound like fun. Why not try the med? The remax Malta site as well as Maltaparks has some really good deals for apartments.

To get into Malta, you'll need a Schengen visa. This is true of most of the EU (UK and Ireland not included) and this is far easier to obtain than a visa into Ireland. Check out the Schengen requirements for Malta at the embassy in the country you're in.

Basic requirements are hotel reservations, flight reservations, health insurance and if you're not married, bank statements. Not too hard.

Let us know how it goes
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply and encouragement.

I take it my fiancé would have to find out from the Maltese consulate in the Philippines about the Schengen visa application as she will be the one applying to travel to Malta as the non-EU person?! I know I don't need a Schengen visa as I'm a UK citizen living in Manchester.

I've been trolling different sites to try and find a step by step guide on the Malta route and finding a few things but none are from the beginning point of a non-married couple going to Malta to get married and then embarking on the SS Route back to the UK.

Do you or does anybody else think it would be better to get married in the Philippines and apply for a Schengen visa whilst I'm also there (the Philippines) with my fiancé? I'm really hesitant about doing this as I work a non-salaried job and would lose out on a lot of money if I went there for a month or two and also knowing that I would have to leave my wife-to-be after getting married so that I return to the UK to work again and hence be apart again from her for an indefinite time! It's a real palava the more you think about it!

I've literally just been accepted in to this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnUn...FamilyInMalta/ so hopfully I can get some help from these guys also

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

No, you wouldn't need any visa to go to Malta.

My situation was slightly easier because I married my wife in Thailand. This took a day at the registry office. Not sure how it works in Philippines but no reason why it should take as long as a couple of months. Not sure how practical this would be for you but it would make life much easier...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.