MALTA

Old May 20th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MALTA

Does anyone live out there who could tell me what the job market is like out there, the cost of living and education system?
Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

MackemDanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MALTA

1) Typical problems encountered: Restrictions on foreign labour mean that employment is hard to find and it is particularly difficult to secure a job from outside the country. Even EU nationals can only get a work permit if they already have an offer of employment.
2) How to improve your chances: Generally speaking, there are too many applicants for too few jobs, so you will improve your chances if you have experience and speak other languages.
3) Language requirements: Maltese is the country’s mother tongue and Maltese and English are the joint official languages. Italian is also widely spoken. It is easier to find work if you speak and write Maltese. Maltese language classes are widely available on the island, or, if you want to learn the language before you leave, a self-study course is available through Eurotalk Interactive .

Where to Work?
1) Recent growth areas: tourism, film-making, IT, betting and gaming.
2) Shortage occupations: experienced IT professionals.
3) Search for companies: Yellow Pages (Malta) , Malta Trade Directory, Malta Chamber of Commerce and Enterprise, Malta Employers, Malta Enterprise.

Education
As regards to Malta's education system, it's very similar to that in the UK.
I have broken down the ages and which stage of education they will be in:

Malta Education: Compulsory
School in Malta and Gozo is compulsory for children aged between five to sixteen years.

Primary Education (5 – 10 years)

Primary Education in Malta is divided into cycles and classes are called “Years”. So the first year in primary school will be called Year One, the second Year Two and so on.

The amount of academic content covered increases as children progress to the final years at primary level.

Secondary Education (11 – 16 years)

Most secondary schools in Malta and Gozo are single-sex.

The years at secondary level are called “Forms”. So the first year at secondary school is called Form I, the second Form II and so on.

Upper Secondary Education (16 years onwards)

Upper secondary education in Malta and Gozo is also known as Sixth Form.

Students can either attend the Junior College (which is administered by the University of Malta) or other private or church upper secondary institutions.

Tertiary Education (usually from 17/18 years onwards)

Higher education in Malta and Gozo is given at undergraduate and post-graduate levels at the University of Malta. The university is wholly funded by the Maltese Government. Courses at the university can last between one to six years.

Cost of Living in Malta can be found at this link: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...?country=Malta

I Hope you have found this a little bit of help.

Regards, Danny.

Last edited by MackemDanny; Jun 3rd 2011 at 7:43 am.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:35 am
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Danny! I am also wondering and being new to this forum- how to post a message. Thanks for this item regarding the cost of living.

question for you - hope its not to okay to ask such a detailed question. But do you think a couple could survive on 2800 euros a month. We have 2 children ages 6 and 3. My husband can work in Malta, however his office will not provide a stipen for an apartment etc but will help with the visa process. So he is employed. I will be home with my children. We will not need a nanny or anything of that nature and live rather modestly. I would appreciate some candid advice on the matter.

Thank you,
Jennifer
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Thanks Danny! I am also wondering and being new to this forum- how to post a message. Thanks for this item regarding the cost of living.

question for you - hope its not to okay to ask such a detailed question. But do you think a couple could survive on 2800 euros a month. We have 2 children ages 6 and 3. My husband can work in Malta, however his office will not provide a stipen for an apartment etc but will help with the visa process. So he is employed. I will be home with my children. We will not need a nanny or anything of that nature and live rather modestly. I would appreciate some candid advice on the matter.

Thank you,
Jennifer
Well your market produce such as Milk, Bread, Cheese, Eggs, Chicken are relatively cheap compared to in the UK for the simple reason a lot is home grown in that country or imported from Italy so yeah thats not a problem.

Now transport, a new car is massively expensive epect to pay about 5000-8000 euros more for a new same model car over there than in say the UK for example, however there will be used cars in the country somewhere. A bus ticket single trip is around 0.80 euros so extremely cheap. Taxis are about your average rate no matter where you live in the world its about 12 euros for about 3 miles journey. Petrol is rather mediocre for price selling at 1.25 euros per litre.

Right Utilities now, Gas, Water, Electricity work out about 110 euros a month (usage dependant), Internet is about your regular tariff of abou 12 euros a month for high speed cable.

Now clothes and shoes are obviously very expensive considering Malta is a small country isolated on its own so lots of importing for clothes. This means a pair of designer shoes work out at about 40 euros and sports trainers about 30 euros. Summer dresses and t-shirts etc will average out about 30 euros. Clothes and shoes Im assuming you wont be buying every month unless your a shopaholic .

Gym membership is about 30 euros a month for adult, but a family pass for the local sports facilities will be combined and cheaper than buying single memberships. Cinema for a new film will be about 6 euros.

Rent for apartments found at http://www.malta-lets.com/property.php?type=Apartment range from about 200 euros per month to top end of 600-800 euros per month in city centre with many bedrooms.

If your thinking of buying an apartment then properties found here http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-.../in-Malta.html may provide some info on costs but as you stated you were looking for an apartment

So lets add it up (per month):

Food (I dont know how much you eat as a family but based on four people it is): 1150-1400 euros
Rent: 280-500 euros
Utilities: 100-200 euros
Other Bits and Bobs (Clothes, Homeware etc): However much you either have left or want to spend.

Total: 1530-2100 euros

There we go, I hope that helped a little, I also believe its like a teething process to work out how much you will spend in first month then work out what can be cut or spend more on etc.

Regard, Danny.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links etc. Sorry for delay in responding been having Internet connection issues. Also went over to Malta last week
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

No worries about late reply. Hope everything works out in Malta!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bostonlady, since the introduction of the Euro, Malta has become a far more expensive place to live in, mainly due to the exchange rate if your income is in £s and inevitable cost of living rises, however i would say with an income of 2.800 euros a month you should be able to survive very comfortably, give it a try, you could do worse.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Member03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,
I am going to relocate to Malta in October as I have got a job offer. My office will be in Msida. I am starting to search information about living in Malta. I went through your posts and found them very useful.
Regards, Martin