Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Looking for work

Looking for work

Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Gpfletch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work

Hi me and my family are moving to Malta in the next couple of months but I'm not sure about what to do for work. I'm a general builder and roofer I have my own company in the uk and will find it hard working for some body eles. I'm not to keen on working on construction site (I know there's plenty of them in Malta) I would like to keep doing what I'm doing here but in Malta (general building painting roof repairs day to day mantancie work) but is there much call for that there or is it all keep to the locals?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work

Originally Posted by Gpfletch
Hi me and my family are moving to Malta in the next couple of months but I'm not sure about what to do for work. I'm a general builder and roofer I have my own company in the uk and will find it hard working for some body eles. I'm not to keen on working on construction site (I know there's plenty of them in Malta) I would like to keep doing what I'm doing here but in Malta (general building painting roof repairs day to day mantancie work) but is there much call for that there or is it all keep to the locals?
Hi... You may be able to do what you want to do down there, but you have to get yourself out there and make a reputation for yourself... Which won't be hard to do as the locals are known for cheaping out on things and not being very nice in their work. So if you can do a good, thorough job and not cheap out, as well as have competitive prices, you should be OK... But have some savings for when you start out as it might not be smooth sailing straight away... Malta is not in the best economic situation so I would hazard a guess to say you will be earning less than you do in the UK, but as i've always said, that's just the price you pay to live in Malta... It really is a beautiful place, friendly locals and the climate is just wonderful!
Good luck in your decision
HTH