Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Just Retuned From Malta & Gozo

Just Retuned From Malta & Gozo

Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Retuned From Malta & Gozo

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, do you live year round in Perth Australia, if not, where do you spend your divided time?

After reading all your well put observations, its interesting to read the view from an Australian & very well done, it gives another perspective on Malta from an outsider.

Both Gozit & I have ties to Malta, we are ~50 + years difference in age (that really doesn't matter) and at times we may appear defensive towards any negativity folks might have to Malta, just the same as would those from/living in Australia, the UK, Canada, the US - we'd say its all bollocks & why would anyone want to live in those countries.

I appreciate you posting the facts that you found & what you found. Australia like Canada & the USA are huge open countries with many small density cities, towns & villages (even in the USA), and all majority English speaking & culturally similar.

Small minded, closed minded folks (include in that the Brit expats) that are scattered in Spain, Portugal, Malta, Malaysia, Singapore will tell you 'this, that & the other' it can come off as the 'whinging pom' syndrome.

Malta & especially Gozo would be like living in a mid sized British town. OK, so no huge supermarkets or big box stores (who the heck needs them anyway). Living life in Gozo or the main island of Malta is no different than living in one city, town or village in where you live now, even Fiji, NZ, an island in the Caribbean or Norfolk Island

I figure an Aussie (even an expat from somewhere else) that has lived in Australia for a long while may find it difficult to adjust & settle on a small island because its always the 'comparing back to where one came from (back home this, that & the other).

My view is to each their own lifestyle. What is it one is looking for, what can you afford ... simple. No where is perfect, just like living in OZ on the west coast, south, NT or the Gold coast. Each person living in these areas will have different viewpoints.

I always tell folks that if you intend to live somewhere to call it home, first one must visit, not just once, but several times. If you're not retired & need to work, then that becomes another issue to deal with, just like being an immigrant.

Retired & healthy with some money or enough income to sustain is ideal, as is the ability to be upwardly mobile. Some folks may spend six months a year in two different countries - Brits do it living in the UK who have holiday homes in the sun & sand of Europe.

For me, I would live several choice months in Malta, the UK, Canada & Norfolk Island. Its all doable, as is the choice of others living & rocking back & forth to South East Asia - if you feel safe there & can adapt to that culture, then great, go do it
Yes I do live close to the centre of Perth and though travel yearly do not divide time between ant two countries at this point of time.

I don't see an "Australian" perspective being any different as such than a "Canadian" one, both coming from countries of some similarity.
The perspective far more relevant would be the individual experience of previous countries lived and expectations concerning a relocation to Malta or Gozo.

Actually not at all. I prefer and do indeed contribute warts and all observations towards life in Australia and UK and France and other countries lived, if appropriate and would certainly do the same towards Malta and Gozo.
I know full well the Lotus Eaters who can't stomach any critique ,but is of no concern to me, besides spurring me on more.
Pro's and con's are important for the sake of balance.

Obviously small minded appear everywhere. I believe the term I used was a longer term ex pat used (not a Pom) was insular with regards to Gozo. You do begin to sound a little preachy here, for some reason. Must be the defensiveness you speak about to which I have already stated am well versed to with regards to other places.

Some Aussies as some Canadians may well find the position as you describe, but they would hardly, unless insane, consider a move to a small island in those circumstances. That would be daft.

Obviously each as different view points. What is it you are getting at? Stating a bit the obvious.

In my case it was the third trip to Malta. Although this was the longest and would certainly plan another longer stay prior to moving.

My initial stay would be in the order of six months I'd expect and after that it may or may not induce a longer or regular stay. or may decide somewhere else. As people do. Doesn't matter in the slightest. If one place doesn't suit move on to another. The beauty of having the freedom and the means to do so.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Re cold houses/flats in winter - there's a magical invention called a heater. Use it. You'll be fine

Partly snarky partly I have no sympathy for those who say Malta is cold. I'm sitting in -8 degrees and snow everywhere in Canada right at the minute so anythings better than that for me

You won't need to learn Maltese to live in Malta. English is the second official language and virtually everyone speaks it, except the bloody Italian tourists. Road signs, all signs, etc are all in English too.
Cold is relative. In Canada the houses are built with the cold taken into consideration.

Even here in Australia, which hardly gets cold, if judging by Canadian terms, I've come across countless Brit and European migrants that find the houses cold. Central heating can be expensive in a time of rapidly rising utility bills and as such its use needs to be monitored by many.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 7:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yes I do live close to the centre of Perth and though travel yearly do not divide time between ant two countries at this point of time.

Obviously small minded appear everywhere. I believe the term I used was a longer term ex pat used (not a Pom) was insular with regards to Gozo. You do begin to sound a little preachy here, for some reason. Must be the defensiveness you speak about to which I have already stated am well versed to with regards to other places.
again your observations were good ones IMO

As far as being where we're at - as some on here are already aware, know that me & the missus have been PR's in the early 80's in OZ (lived in Perth & Sydney) as well as Wellington NZ & a few other places around the globe for extended periods.

Once a Brit now more a Canuck. Life is easy, one day at a time

As far as living anywhere, as I've mentioned on a few threads, as long as its safe, affordable with a tolerable climate for us - then we are upwardly mobile

Good luck to you in your shangri-la search
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Malta would be a pretty decent location for folk interested in things Italian, without living there necessary as well.
Having a base in Germany as well as Australia should prevent 'island fever' along with the possibility change of location, probably necessary of time.
I guess not being confined to the Anglo speaking world in preference as well opens further doors.

I returned to Perth in the early eighties and couldn't wait to leave eighteen months later. Happily a number of those factors which I found so appalling back in those days have been diluted to the point of non existence or minimal but others have arisen that question long term retirement feasibility.

Malta would appear to fit a number of the requirements at least during the early stages of retirement. It does seem apparent that a number do return at a later stage from my reading observations to home countries. I wonder if this is related to health care needs with the passing of time?
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another interesting aspect in the case of Australian readers is the connection forged with Australia through immigration. On at least two occasions Maltese folk brought to my attention the belief that there are more Maltese in Australia, than on the Maltese Islands.

This I have heard long ago but personally doubt. Still to be raised on the islands means the belief has certainly spread. The numbers include of course those with any iota of Maltese blood, however many generations removed.

The last Australian census of 2011 showed there to be 41,700 Malta born living in Australia. Come to think of it perhaps not as far fetched at first thought.
Most came after WW2. Maltese immigration peaked in the 60's at close to double the present rate.In 70 years with rather high birth rates, at least within the first generation, I may be indeed possible.

As I have stated it is the third or fourth largest foreign born population in Malta. They appear to celebrate Australia Day with some gusto and have Christmas get togethers and the like.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

post 19 & post 20

for a Brit retiree wanting to spend indefinite leave, hopping from place to place or watching the sun go down till they pop their clogs, then, Malta over Portugal or Spain in terms of language, healthcare & average running costs is not a bad choice.

To each their own I suppose. Some folks just like the Spain or Algarve life of booze it up & lots of tourists.

As for living asa retiree in the sun & sand, seeing folks from Africa, the Middle East, Far East, sub Asian continent or Eastern Europe/Russia - you will find them no matter where you live, even in the patch where we live, its the united nations & something about living in an immigrant country that one gets used to after 47 years

Last edited by not2old; Nov 26th 2014 at 6:18 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting aspect in the case of Australian readers is the connection forged with Australia through immigration. On at least two occasions Maltese folk brought to my attention the belief that there are more Maltese in Australia, than on the Maltese Islands.

This I have heard long ago but personally doubt. Still to be raised on the islands means the belief has certainly spread. The numbers include of course those with any iota of Maltese blood, however many generations removed.

The last Australian census of 2011 showed there to be 41,700 Malta born living in Australia. Come to think of it perhaps not as far fetched at first thought.
Most came after WW2. Maltese immigration peaked in the 60's at close to double the present rate.In 70 years with rather high birth rates, at least within the first generation, I may be indeed possible.

As I have stated it is the third or fourth largest foreign born population in Malta. They appear to celebrate Australia Day with some gusto and have Christmas get togethers and the like.
The whole reason the law was changed in my favour to allow people of Maltese descent beyond 1 generation born outside Malta to obtain Maltese nationality was because of Maltese-Australians complaining about it! So that argument might not be too far off.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
post 19 & post 20

for a Brit retiree wanting to spend indefinite leave, hopping from place to place or watching the sun go down till they pop their clogs, then, Malta over Portugal or Spain in terms of language, healthcare & average running costs is not a bad choice.

To each their own I suppose. Some folks just like the Spain or Algarve life of booze it up & lots of tourists.

As for living asa retiree in the sun & sand, seeing folks from Africa, the Middle East, Far East, sub Asian continent or Eastern Europe/Russia - you will find them no matter where you live, even in the patch where we live, its the united nations & something about living in an immigrant country that one gets used to after 47 years
In terms of language for not speaking or wanting to learn additional languages I'd agree. Although the Maltese language, which most do converse is certainly harder than Spanish or French to learn.
Ideally for one to be really a have sense of connection an effort should be made to learn to ones ability the local language, even if not essential but desirable.

I wonder why you consider health care superior in Malta to Spain? My understanding is folk with serious ailments may go to UK for treatment not readily available in Malta.
I'm sure the service is good but better?

The fact that see folk from the African/Mid East region is a plus in my book. Gives a less parochial feel and hopefully breeds greater tolerance and acceptance for difference.
Russian involvement, at least the big end of town, can often refer to something else. Corrupt investment pushing up prices above local ability to pay and causing resentment in turn.

I still think Malta is a highly desirable place to reside as mentioned. I very much would welcome a range of views from both sides, as necessary to complete the frame.

The positives in many cases speak for themselves. The negatives are often not so apparent and may indeed be few and far between.

Still my number one location choice at this time.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The whole reason the law was changed in my favour to allow people of Maltese descent beyond 1 generation born outside Malta to obtain Maltese nationality was because of Maltese-Australians complaining about it! So that argument might not be too far off.
The numbers being so big as stated, on reflection it could indeed influence proceedings.

I met a Maltese/Canadian in Gozo who are married many moons ago a Maltese woman who originally migrated to Melbourne, but met wife while she was visiting relatives in Canada and she stayed. Now in the age they are considering a full time move back instead of yearly holidays.

It seems the feeling of Maltese never leaves.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers being so big as stated, on reflection it could indeed influence proceedings.

I met a Maltese/Canadian in Gozo who are married many moons ago a Maltese woman who originally migrated to Melbourne, but met wife while she was visiting relatives in Canada and she stayed. Now in the age they are considering a full time move back instead of yearly holidays.

It seems the feeling of Maltese never leaves.
No, indeed it doesn't.

I like to call it the Maltese alarm clock... The older you get, the alarm clock gets louder. It says "go home, go home"........
Old Dec 13th 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looking through real estate booklets picked up while on the Maltese Islands, it is very evident the price to purchase is on the high side.

Even with a faltering economy the prices don't seem to reflect this reality and one wonders just who are the buyers.

Is the industry being held together by foreigners buying though not necessary living in Malta or the rich on the islands? Rather clear an average working wage would hardly get a look in at the prices charged.

Or could these glossy booklets be aimed squarely at the foreign market ?
Old Jan 27th 2015, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

" I am sure more modern buildings have better insulation and are less prone to cold and damp"

Nope, modern apartments don't seem to have any insulation in the walls or ceilings or floors - so buy one on the top floor to avoid noise pollution. Two bed apartments start at around 100k euro, not that far from Sliema, so prices are not that bad AND maintenance charges are remarkably low plus no council tax. Front line, luxury apartments are a different matter, though. Also depends on which currency you are using, until recently Sterling was way down.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by britishbull
" I am sure more modern buildings have better insulation and are less prone to cold and damp"

Nope, modern apartments don't seem to have any insulation in the walls or ceilings or floors - so buy one on the top floor to avoid noise pollution. Two bed apartments start at around 100k euro, not that far from Sliema, so prices are not that bad AND maintenance charges are remarkably low plus no council tax.
many of the reports about living on the 'top floor' of even newer buildings is that in the 'heat of the summer' the apartments are like furnaces & never seem to cool down even if you have AC its going full blast from June to the end September & even without AC with the breeze, its far too hot & humid.

I guess there is no happy medium unless one can afford a villa, maisonette or detached house.

If you do the maths its probably better to rent & to stay away from the tourist areas if staying or living in Malta for long stretches, unless someone wants a holiday home that they can also benefit renting it out sveral months a year.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Gozo you can get a 3 bed, fully loaded flat for 125k euros... I'll take that pls and thanks
Old Jan 27th 2015, 11:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

In Gozo you can get a 3 bed, fully loaded flat for 125k euros... I'll take that pls and thanks

yes, any day 'far from the madding crowd' , zero property tax too boot & no snow to shovel

And there isn't anything wrong with escaping to Gozo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.