Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Don't move to Malta!!!

Don't move to Malta!!!

Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't move to Malta!!!

Originally Posted by themajor
Not at all
Selfie of the day!
Old Feb 24th 2016, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

The OP surprised me; I've 3 ex-colleagues who live in Malta and they love it; the only real difference is they are all married to Maltese ladies, so will have some local knowledge.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
The OP surprised me; I've 3 ex-colleagues who live in Malta and they love it; the only real difference is they are all married to Maltese ladies, so will have some local knowledge.
I would describe this as a very big difference. I doubt their Maltese wives would allow them any choice other than to love it .
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
As not2old mentioned, horses for courses. You will find happy/miserable people in every country. If you appreciate good air quality, don't like traffic, want open spaces etc. Malta is probably not for you

Budget can play a big part too and some people want an apartment, others want a house and some locations just don't offer what you are looking for within your budget. I don't have loads of cash, but I do like living in a detached house with a bit of garden, but with a limited budget it's difficult to find that in Malta, so I would probably end up unhappy.

Others might have other preferences, so they might be happy if the wife is happy etc. and aren't bothered about what the OP wants.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, they are all ex-servicemen and had lived there while serving - so knew the country and had family to help; they moved back at the end of their military careers. So they all had good pensions to fall back on; 2 went on to become teachers, the other one breeds parrots.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 5:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

slight diversion, only slight

On the basis the UK leaves the EU, wouldn't it be wise for those that meet the 'self sufficiency' residence criteria to have a quick long stay in Malta

Originally Posted by themajor
Tourists and MALTA. Special deals from the UK. THREE MONTHS in a four star Hotel all inclusive (so sorry to the cafes/restaurants) Flights included-average price ÂŖ520!! Wahey the pensioners.
Getting the Malta ersidence card (good for 5 years), the Malta health card - you'd be all set, freedom of movement in the EU

http://gov.mt/en/Services-And-Inform...pplication.pdf

"For self sufficiency, its satisfy either capital or income requirement - you must have health cover under either, not necessarily insurance - the amounts are capital of at least â‚Ŧ14,000 or a weekly income of â‚Ŧ84.95 or, in the case of a married couple, a capital of â‚Ŧ23,300 or a weekly income of â‚Ŧ93.10"

Last edited by not2old; Feb 25th 2016 at 5:57 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello not2old, you raise an interesting idea. However, I have a feeling that in practice, it would not be that easy to obtain an eResidence card. I have read on other sites that proof of residence needs to be in the form of a tenancy agreement. The idea that someone could use a hotel as their address seems too good to be true. Further investigation would be required by anyone interested in applying for an eResidence card in this way.

If it were that easy, could the same not be done in other EU countries. For example, many UK pensioners spend winter in long-stay hotel deals in Spain.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Hello not2old, you raise an interesting idea. However, I have a feeling that in practice, it would not be that easy to obtain an eResidence card. I have read on other sites that proof of residence needs to be in the form of a tenancy agreement. The idea that someone could use a hotel as their address seems too good to be true. Further investigation would be required by anyone interested in applying for an eResidence card in this way.

If it were that easy, could the same not be done in other EU countries. For example, many UK pensioners spend winter in long-stay hotel deals in Spain.
Under self-sufficiency

In mid December a retired state pension couple that I know personally went to Malta, stayed at one of the apartment hotels (booked it for 90 days), got themselves a Maltese mobile phone number, had their health card as well as the e-rsidence card all sorted within 30 days of arrival. Travel for free on the buses, having the time of their lives

http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/mhas-in...20form%20j.pdf

First they got their temporary health card, changed to full health card when they got their e-residence card

On application under self-sufficiency, no request for tenancy agreement or utility bills

Yes, its doable

Last edited by not2old; Feb 26th 2016 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

scubajohn is an unknown quantity at this point

i have to agree malta has gone from great to worse, now ive been on in and out of malta for 30 years .i no several maltese personaly, they tolerate expats they spend more, one op mentioned blasting birds, many times ive seen fighting dogs excersized on a beach whether it still goes on i dont no havent been back .tourists harrased by sunglass sellers etc i love the island but no more
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't judge a country based on the group of idiots who decide to shoot at birds. It also must be understood that bird hunting was a part of Maltese culture that we are now trying to phase out gradually. And for a large part, the people who do it will decrease sharply as the older generations start to pass on.

Stray animals are a problem not only in Malta but in alot of other countries as well. You just see more in Malta because its a densely populated island and, well, there isn't far to go on the island.
The sunglass sellers I can sympathise with you on that one, however a comparison to the people selling laser pointers underneath the Eiffel tower comes to mind - do I avoid going to Paris so I don't have to come into contact with those people? No.

YMMV. Malta isn't for everyone, but the reasons you cite really just aren't a big deal, and if those are the reasons you can come up with for not liking a place, then you may as well not emigrate because everywhere has little quirks such as that, that are different from the UK (or wherever else you happen to come from).
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Zarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm new here my hubby and I are currently in Malta doing SS route we applied for our residence cards a month ago and I still haven't heard any reply , please can someone who already received their cards tell me how much time it takes to get it? I want to go back home soon ☚ī¸đŸ˜”
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to reply to every single thread. I replied to one of your other posts.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

OP sounds like a typical whiny old git (no, they aren't all like that) who expects everything in his country of expatriation to be exactly like home, so in which case, stay home! Malta isn't just the UK with a bit more sunshine, its a different country with an entirely different culture. If you expected it to be just like the UK well then obviously it will disappoint you in that regard.

You can't expect to move to someone else's country and not provide a benefit to them. In this case its the hope that you will spend money and boost the economy. In the case of Canada or the US for example, they award residence to those who have skills useful in their countries. The benefit to the country being their skills. Malta being a largely tourism-oriented economy, wants you to come down and spend your money. Thats the benefit to Malta of you living there.

And in terms of health care, with the agreement between the UK and Malta you actually have a pretty good gig compared to other EU citizens who live in Malta, the only people who have better access would be Maltese citizens. We have a different health care system than the UK, there is a reason it is divided into public and private. If you want faster, more immediate and thorough care, go to the private system. If not, the public one will keep you healthy no doubt.

I hope you find better pastures somewhere else.
Spot on I am wondering why the OP has lived so long in a country he despises so much? I am also wondering just how much he has integrated into that country? I don't mean become Maltese,of course that's not possible. But met them half way by learning a little of the language.Learning about their history etc I'm saying all this because he could be my brother (aggh maybe he is? No he mentioned a wife..phew) He has lived in Malta for over 18 yrs.Like many places -randomly picked for tax reason's. He has shown zero inclination to learn the language in that time.and finds fault constantly-(The same as the OP high rise buildings,flats for Russian immigrants,attitude etc) He famously picked a fight with the cafe owner who had the concession below his apartment.. 'For 'littering the pavement with an excessive number of tables and chairs' I kid you not.. Sooooo British. There is an intolerable assumption that some countries are there soley for an others convenience .

I didn't particularly enjoy all my time in the Netherlands,but I learned the language ,accepted the customs , tried not to offend.and worked hard at it. Then, when I could, I left..Time for the op to move on as well
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GeniB
Spot on I am wondering why the OP has lived so long in a country he despises so much? I am also wondering just how much he has integrated into that country? I don't mean become Maltese,of course that's not possible. But met them half way by learning a little of the language.Learning about their history etc I'm saying all this because he could be my brother (aggh maybe he is? No he mentioned a wife..phew) He has lived in Malta for over 18 yrs.Like many places -randomly picked for tax reason's. He has shown zero inclination to learn the language in that time.and finds fault constantly-(The same as the OP high rise buildings,flats for Russian immigrants,attitude etc) He famously picked a fight with the cafe owner who had the concession below his apartment.. 'For 'littering the pavement with an excessive number of tables and chairs' I kid you not.. Sooooo British. There is an intolerable assumption that some countries are there soley for an others convenience .

I didn't particularly enjoy all my time in the Netherlands,but I learned the language ,accepted the customs , tried not to offend.and worked hard at it. Then, when I could, I left..Time for the op to move on as well
Exactly. No reason to stay if you dislike it that much. OPs best move sounds like back to the UK because they are going to compare everything to that.

And with the cafe owner - ... Hes lived there for 18yrs and didn't realise that is part of Malta's culture and the regular life, little cafes where you sit outside and have a cuppa.

And, well, speaking from experience, if he doesn't know the language and is always whinging like that, the Maltese are whinging at him in Malti.

You learn to live in someone else's shoes. In this case, daily life in another country. Things are different, some customs and ways of doing things will be better, some won't. Its a wash mostly.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I too thought it sounded harsh, and I would sincerely like to know what happened to trigger such a post.

I have been here for two weeks, and am coming to the same opinion. The two attractions for me were the use of English, and the favourable tax regime. My plan was to stay for six weeks, and if I liked the country sufficiently, to then rent an apartment for a year. I have decided not to do that, but to leave at the end of the six weeks. I can understand why the contributors to this post who are Maltese would stand up for their homeland, but for the rest of us, there would seem to be better alternatives.

Portugal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.