Reload this Page >

Don't move to Malta!!!

Don't move to Malta!!!

Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:09 am
Just Joined

andronicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't move to Malta!!!

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
An excellent point! And that is exactly what so many retirees don't do wherever it may be in Europe, or elsewhere. They have one or several wonderful brief holidays in a place, fall in love with it, and move to their new found location after burning their uk bridges i.e. selling up completely.
It's when winter comes to those locations without efficient indoor heating, and encountering many other unheard of difficulties, that the rose-coloured glasses start to rapidly erode, and those dreams of paradise can often within a few years turn into terror when the realities kick in. And that's without even mentioning potentially more hospital visits with advancing age.
It's not being pessimistic, it's called being realistic.
Your points are so true. Best to avoid places that are as tourist AND EX-PAT fatigued as Malta, because generally while they want your money, THEY DON'T WANT YOU.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I actually don't think it's tourist people hate, but actually those expats who plan to stay in Malta. Tourists are annoying, but they bring money, create jobs and leave after 2 weeks, while expats either take away jobs, make housing even more unaffordable etc. Every overpopulated island has the same problems and it's mainly lack of affordable housing. The wealthy aren't bothered, but the working class people see Expats as a danger.
Good points. I would also add that in the case of Malta, the non-dom tax regime must add to the sense of envy amongst the Maltese towards expats. In order to be able to afford even basic housing, the Maltese often need to have more than one job, and are paying tax on their earnings. Meanwhile, rich expat retirees are able to live tax-free (depending on how they structure their finances), and have a noticeably better lifestyle.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andronicus
Leave after two weeks, are you kidding! Tourist season is now practically 12 months of the year, with the worst being the summer months. There is no RESPITE! Malta is a business that goes 12 months of the year. Forget about two weeks.
Of course the season is ongoing, but most people book a holiday for a week or two. The tourist is annoying, but doesn't take away jobs, housing etc.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:22 am
Just Joined

I think the OP's post was a bit harsh and we all have different reasons for moving somewhere. I wouldn't see the benefits of living full time in Malta personally, especially if I was a pensioner with a State Pension and have no connection to the island, as you get free heath care in the EU anyway. I couldn't cope living there and the constant noise and pollution would get on my nerves and I suppose it's no different in cities, but at least it's easier to escape the madness, or you have more options.

It's also a question of budget and if you are buying renting, but I do find that Italy, Portugal, Spain can offer the same at a lower price and the quality is better, depending what you want.

Yes, true. There are far better, cleaner and healthier places to live than Malta. It just requires learning Spanish or Italian and making the effort. Sometimes I think people are lazy and think hey they speak English on Malta. I won't have to learn another language. Yeep pee! However, there is going to be a high price for that initial laziness to learn another European language, and it is this: THE MALTESE DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH! This is a myth. What many (not all) do speak is a rigid English text-book type of English and consumer buy/sell English. What you say and what they think you've said, can actually be quite far apart. They will nod as if understanding, and you leave thinking they've understood. But in reality, they haven't. If language is all about COMMUNICATION, I would give the Maltese about a C+.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, true. There are far better, cleaner and healthier places to live than Malta. It just requires learning Spanish or Italian and making the effort. Sometimes I think people are lazy and think hey they speak English on Malta. I won't have to learn another language. Yeep pee! However, there is going to be a high price for that initial laziness to learn another European language, and it is this: THE MALTESE DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH! This is a myth. What many (not all) do speak is a rigid English text-book type of English and consumer buy/sell English. What you say and what they think you've said, can actually be quite far apart. They will nod as if understanding, and you leave thinking they've understood. But in reality, they haven't. If language is all about COMMUNICATION, I would give the Maltese about a C+.
DO you live on Malta? Have you been there long? Where are you moving too (as you clearly aren't going to be staying there!)?

Just helps us outsiders to put things into perspective......
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Hi, yes, we are still in Malta. We are moving soon hopefully. Where do we go next, we are not sure. Probably Spain. Needs more research though.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes, we are still in Malta. We are moving soon hopefully. Where do we go next, we are not sure. Probably Spain. Needs more research though.
thanks for that
Old Feb 24th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Tourists and MALTA. Special deals from the UK. THREE MONTHS in a four star Hotel all inclusive (so sorry to the cafes/restaurants) Flights included-average price £520!! Wahey the pensioners.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 12:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
Tourists and MALTA. Special deals from the UK. THREE MONTHS in a four star Hotel all inclusive (so sorry to the cafes/restaurants) Flights included-average price £520!! Wahey the pensioners.
For 3-months & £520, one doesn't need to pull up stakes & move to Malta full time.

Imagine a revolving door of bargains nine months a year, going between Portugal's Algarve, Spain (Majorca to Costa Brava) & Malta all for approx £1500-£2000

The life of a sun bleached retiree
Old Feb 24th 2016, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Flights included .....
Flexible business class tickets, I presume.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
For 3-months & £520, one doesn't need to pull up stakes & move to Malta full time. Imagine a revolving door of bargains nine months a year, going between Portugal's Algarve, Spain (Majorca to Costa Brava) & Malta all for approx £1500-£2000 The life of a sun bleached retiree
Indeed and you don't have to worry about paying rent, taxes, bills, paperwork in a language you don't understand. People who are worried about their tan fading during the British summer, could also buy a sunbed.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Flexible business class tickets, I presume.
Not possible on those deals from UK.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 1:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed and you don't have to worry about paying rent, taxes, bills, paperwork in a language you don't understand. People who are worried about their tan fading during the British summer, could also buy a sunbed.
I guess if its doable, a home base in a rented apartment in the Republic of Ireland (within 2 hours of an airport), getting all the UK OAP welfare & top-up benefits in Ireland - then 3 month intervals in a European destination.

Could end up being a Brit citizen retirees dream

Senior Care Blog and Information > The Essential Guide to Benefits and Entitlements for Older People in Ireland

Checklist: entitlements for older people
Old Feb 24th 2016, 1:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not possible on those deals from UK. .....
Did you leave your sense of humour in bed today, Major?
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Did you leave your sense of humour in bed today, Major?
Not at all
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.