Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Don't move to Malta!!!

Don't move to Malta!!!

Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

andronicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't move to Malta!!!

All I can say is that it is a filthy, overcrowded polluted hell-hole. The Maltese are ignorant, arrogant, rude and nasty!

For your own sanity and peace of mind, DO NOT MOVE there! Do NOT be fooled by the promotions and publicity. It is a rip-off place. The Maltese will only use you as a source of income. That is how they primarily see you as: INCOME!

Also, what other people in the world goes around shooting little birds?

Last edited by andronicus; Feb 21st 2016 at 3:04 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't move to Malta!!!

Originally Posted by andronicus
All I can say is that it is a filthy, overcrowded polluted hell-hole. The Maltese are ignorant, arrogant, rude and nasty!

For your own sanity and peace of mind, DO NOT MOVE there! Do NOT be fooled by the promotions and publicity. It is a rip-off place. The Maltese will only use you as a source of income. That is how they primarily see you as: INCOME!

Also, what other people in the world go around shooting little birds?
This is well known. But good that you decide to publish it. However it really does depend on one attitude to the Maltese. We always seem to get on well with them.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what other people in the world go around shooting little birds?
Welcome to BE, thats quite a strong first post.

Do you have specific reasons for your dislike of the place? How long have you lived there?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Welcome to BE, thats quite a strong first post.

Do you have specific reasons for your dislike of the place? How long have you lived there?
Too long. My wife and I can't wait to leave!!

It truly is a disaster. The whole island has become a building zone with ugly high rise apartment blocks!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Do NOT be fooled by the promotions and publicity. It is a rip-off place. The Maltese will only use you as a source of income. That is how they primarily see you as: INCOME! ....
Er, why do you think the Maltese government encourages people to move there?

Encouraging mass immigration by retirees isn't some sort of generous service they are providing for your convenience.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Too long. My wife and I can't wait to leave!!

It truly is a disaster. The whole island has become a building zone with ugly high rise apartment blocks!

how long have you lived in Malta?

If & when you leave, where are you going to move to?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

For years I have been kidding myself, you're spot on with your comments, still far better off here than the UK though.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

and if Malta, the UK or one of the other EU countries is out of the question, or post EU referendum (out of the EU) what about one of those Scottish Islands such as the isle of Bute...

then there is always Norfolk island, smallish, the size of Bermuda with only approx 2200 people, all self sustaining

Home

first page 11, then page 15 in the following link for foreign nationals taking up residency, leading to the GEP, then Australian citizenship

http://www.immigration.gov.nf/Immigr...2002072013.pdf

Last edited by not2old; Feb 21st 2016 at 7:11 pm. Reason: edited post
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by maltaman
For years I have been kidding myself, you're spot on with your comments, still far better off here than the UK though.
Yeah it took me a while to finally work out the Maltese mindset, and believe me, it ain't an attractive one.

Tourists who go there for a week or two and come back saying "oh ow luvely" have no idea what it is they are saying. Once you live there you realize you've made a terrible mistake. The Maltese are nearly all racists and small minded bigots. God, I feel sorry for the Somalis and other African refugee stuck there! They are pretty much treated like slaves - and I do not exaggerate. That's why so many try to flee to Italy.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Encouraging mass immigration by retirees isn't some sort of generous service they are providing for your convenience.
I don't quite follow what you're saying?

As a retiree who will probably need a lot of medical care, I would not recommend Malta at all. Many have died through lack of care and shoddy medical practices. Many have also returned to the UK or their original country.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 2:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite follow what you're saying? .....
The Maltese government believes that retirees will spend more than they will cost, thereby boosting the economy. Obviously part of this balancing act is the Maltese government not spending too much on medical services.

This is something that people used to the "free" provision of medical services in the UK with negligible fees for prescriptions, find hard to understand, and if they haven't done their research might belatedly find rather shocking.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The Maltese government believes that retirees will spend more than they will cost, thereby boosting the economy. Obviously part of this balancing act is the Maltese government not spending too much on medical services.

This is something that people used to the "free" provision of medical services in the UK with negligible fees for prescriptions, find hard to understand, and if they haven't done their research might belatedly find rather shocking.

OP sounds like a typical whiny old git (no, they aren't all like that) who expects everything in his country of expatriation to be exactly like home, so in which case, stay home! Malta isn't just the UK with a bit more sunshine, its a different country with an entirely different culture. If you expected it to be just like the UK well then obviously it will disappoint you in that regard.

You can't expect to move to someone else's country and not provide a benefit to them. In this case its the hope that you will spend money and boost the economy. In the case of Canada or the US for example, they award residence to those who have skills useful in their countries. The benefit to the country being their skills. Malta being a largely tourism-oriented economy, wants you to come down and spend your money. Thats the benefit to Malta of you living there.

And in terms of health care, with the agreement between the UK and Malta you actually have a pretty good gig compared to other EU citizens who live in Malta, the only people who have better access would be Maltese citizens. We have a different health care system than the UK, there is a reason it is divided into public and private. If you want faster, more immediate and thorough care, go to the private system. If not, the public one will keep you healthy no doubt.

I hope you find better pastures somewhere else.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:44 am
Just Joined

amthello is an unknown quantity at this point

As a Maltese living abroad, (so an expat myself) I do not agree with you. Yes some Maltese are bigoted racists but you find that everywhere. On the concrete high rise buildings, well that depends on where you decide to stay. A lot of expats want to stay in St Julians area. I frankly do not understand that as we Maltese (I am 30ish) always try to avoid it. It is overly expensive, crowded, parking is a headache. There so many nice hidden places all over the island.

If someone is considering moving and reading this post I just tell them to do their own research properly. I own an apartment in Marsascala and have rented it over the past months including UK expats. Most of them told me they wanted to avoid the noisy Sliema/St Julians area. They did their research and loved it being in a quieter area yet close to sea.

On the Maltese just want your money thing, well if you go to real estate agents or aim for accommodation that is in high demand areas, you don't have to be surprised that they try to make a quick buck from you.

I love Malta and I am aiming to go back to the island in the coming years. One thing I do however agree that it is becoming unbearable is the traffic situation. In most cases, driving etiquette is nowhere to be found. This is in part attributable to the very relaxed driving tests that were permissible in the past. I hope that public transport is improved as well as in the last years it lacked a lot.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 2:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Also, what other people in the world goes around shooting little birds?

of course same could be said about the UK, with all of the refugees, immigrants, benefits cheats, free loaders, graffiti, chavs, overcrowding, grime & filth everywhere, slums etc etc

Now, do tell us how long you have lived in Malta, do you work, are you retired

Then, if you leave Malta, where is it that you are planning on moving too?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to read the various comments on this thread, as I recently arrived in Malta to see if it is somewhere that I could retire to. Before arriving, I had done a lot of research and so knew more or less what to expect.

I suspect the OP must have experienced something dramatic to warrant the emotive comments, and it would be nice to know more about what triggered the post. Although I would not be as strident in my comments, I do agree with many of his/her points, and they should not be dismissed out of hand.

There is no doubt that Malta is a small island, and perhaps as a result, is somewhat insular. Despite, or maybe because of, the many visitors to Malta, those in customer-facing roles are often lacking in politeness or helpfulness. I am talking for example, about grumpy bus drivers and unsmiling check-out operators. Of course, surliness is not unique to Malta, but could be a surprise to anyone expecting a more friendly welcome from those with whom they come into contact.

Malta is certainly overcrowded in the East (Valletta, Sliema, St. Julians, etc). The traffic is really bad in most of the island and the driving standards are very poor. Pollution from car fumes is a known problem on the island. There is also a lot of rubbish discarded along the roadside in many places, and quite a bit of fly-tipping.

Building standards are very poor. Even new-builds generally lack heating and insulation. Walls are single-skinned (no cavity). It gets cold here at this time of year and so the absence of heating is both surprising and off-putting.

I can't comment on the health service, although the large Mater Dei hospital looks impressive from the outside. I have no idea what it is like for anyone having to venture inside.

Of course there are many plus-points. For someone from the UK, the fact that English is used widely is welcome.

As always, anyone thinking of moving here should come and spend several months (in winter and summer) to see if it suits them. It's not for everyone of course and an extended visit is essential before taking the plunge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.