Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Does Gozo Have a Long Term Ex Pat Population?

Does Gozo Have a Long Term Ex Pat Population?

Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does Gozo Have a Long Term Ex Pat Population?

I will be stopping over in Malta for a short visit in November and want to look into residing in Gozo at a later stage.

My question is I suspect Gozo is more a place for part time ex pats to spend summer,rather than long term residence. Is that correct?

Really like Malta but will be first time in Gozo. Is it a bit drab and closed in winter? Should the main is island be the focus being more doable?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does Gozo Have a Long Term Ex Pat Population?

I reside in Malta and am quite happy to remain doing so for the forseeable future, Gozo is a beautiful peaceful place and i have been a couple of times on day trips, much more relaxing and quieter than Malta although most the people i heard speaking were British, i have not visited in mid winter so can't really vouch for activities then, these times are are usually very short anyway, i'm pretty sure there is plenty more to do in Malta all year round.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Manuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I will be stopping over in Malta for a short visit in November and want to look into residing in Gozo at a later stage.

My question is I suspect Gozo is more a place for part time ex pats to spend summer,rather than long term residence. Is that correct?

Really like Malta but will be first time in Gozo. Is it a bit drab and closed in winter? Should the main is island be the focus being more doable?
Bonjour Troubadour !
It really depends what you're looking for. In May, I have spent two weeks in Gozo, I'll be spending a month there again very soon and then I intend to move to the Island -asap. Which indicates clearly my liking of the place, for its beauty, for the peace and quiet and for the people's kindness and "Joie de Vivre".
To answer your question, there are quite a few Brit' ExPats but the older do not like the cold, don't know where they go off, may be Perth ? Never been there though my sister spent nearly 10 years in Perth -and loved it. I've just been to Sydney a few times while I was living in New Zealand.
SO, do you really have the soul of a Troubadour ??? ...
May be we'll meet in Gozo !
Au revoir, Sabine

Last edited by Manuia; Oct 8th 2012 at 5:38 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manuia
Bonjour Troubadour !
It really depends what you're looking for. In May, I have spent two weeks in Gozo, I'll be spending a month there again very soon and then I intend to move to the Island -asap. Which indicates clearly my liking of the place, for its beauty, for the peace and quiet and for the people's kindness and "Joie de Vivre".
To answer your question, there are quite a few Brit' ExPats but the older do not like the cold, don't know where they go off, may be Perth ? Never been there though my sister spent nearly 10 years in Perth -and loved it. I've just been to Sydney a few times while I was living in New Zealand.
SO, do you really have the soul of a Troubadour ??? ...
May be we'll meet in Gozo !
Au revoir, Sabine
Bonjour Sabine,
Merci pour votre reponse. Vivez vous en Provence? I know it reasonably well spending a bit of time in Aix when used to live in the middle of France.

I had even given consideration to returning to France to somewhere in the Herault region...but is looking less likely at the moment.

I will be in Malta in November for a short visit only,as I am really enroute to South Africa,but would like to check out Gozo. I do hear price wise Malta is not a lot cheaper than UK these days.

When do you plan to move there? And you wish to stay full time? Do keep me informed of how you find things there once installed.

So you lived in NZ. You have been around. I've never been there. But besides Australia,France,UK...have lived in a few North European countries along with South Africa and Malaysia......so am a bit of a wanderer,I guess.

I take it your sister is no longer living in Perth? There have been some changes here in recent years. Rather pricey these days as well.
But true enough the climate is very nice..apart from a few hot periods in summer. Just feel there is a time coming to move on.

Happy times in Malta.....et Au Revoir..............
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Manuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura about

Bonjour Sabine,
Merci pour votre reponse. Vivez vous en Provence? I know it reasonably well spending a bit of time in Aix when used to live in the middle of France.

I had even given consideration to returning to France to somewhere in the Herault region...but is looking less likely at the moment.

I will be in Malta in November for a short visit only,as I am really enroute to South Africa,but would like to check out Gozo. I do hear price wise Malta is not a lot cheaper than UK these days.

When do you plan to move there? And you wish to stay full time? Do keep me informed of how you find things there once installed.

So you lived in NZ. You have been around. I've never been there. But besides Australia,France,UK...have lived in a few North European countries along with South Africa and Malaysia......so am a bit of a wanderer,I guess.

I take it your sister is no longer living in Perth? There have been some changes here in recent years. Rather pricey these days as well.
But true enough the climate is very nice..apart from a few hot periods in summer. Just feel there is a time coming to move on.

Happy times in Malta.....et Au Revoir..............
Re-bonjour Troubadour !
En fait j'habite tout près d'Aix et je connais aussi le Languedoc-Roussillon. Et la Belgique (j'ai vécu à Bruxelles) et j'ai voyagé aux USA mais je ne crois pas que j'y retournerai....
My sister and my children live in Auckland but I felt a need for French stuff. A bit disappointed on that respect. Hence my desire to move forward.
I plan to move-for good- to Gozo sometimes in the New Year and I'll be over there (second time around) from October 22d to November 19th.
Well you have been around a few blocks, haven't you ?
A Troubadour writes ballads et il se balade pour les chanter which, I guess, makes you a poet and a wanderer !!!
I shall keep you informed on ma vie sur "l'Île de la Joie"
I wish you too happy times in Malta and South Africa (how are things down there?) and au plaisir !

Sabine
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bonjour Sabine,
A nice area to live and know in France. I am not sure what you mean with regards to be disappointed after being in need of French stuff?
Do you mean it is time to move on.....? Combien de temp avant devous deplacer Malte?
mais oui,j'aime ecrire,mais balades ne sont pas ma force...pretet.....
I look forward to reading your posts from the island of joy.......
Antoine
Old Oct 10th 2012, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Bonjour Sabine,
A nice area to live and know in France. I am not sure what you mean with regards to be disappointed after being in need of French stuff?
Do you mean it is time to move on.....? Combien de temp avant devous deplacer Malte?
mais oui,j'aime ecrire,mais balades ne sont pas ma force...pretet.....
I look forward to reading your posts from the island of joy.......
Antoine
Bonjour Antoine,

What I meant was that France ain't quite the same nowadays. I guess part of it is due to the globalization phenomenon : everything is losing its cachet and specificity. And partly to the degradation of the social fabric which used to hold the French together... I'm old (fashioned) that explains why I find the prospect of the French culture -or others- fading away and vanishing une véritable pitié !
My moving to Malta (Gozo) will take place into the New Year and I'm really looking forward to it. But, as I said, je serai là-bas (à Marsalforn exactement) du 22 octobre au 19 novembre, prospecting fro Business&Home.
C'est un plaisr d'échanger avec vous, Antoine, moi aussi j'aime écrire ! So let's keep in touch !

Amicalement,
Sabine
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Manuia
Bonjour Antoine,

What I meant was that France ain't quite the same nowadays. I guess part of it is due to the globalization phenomenon : everything is losing its cachet and specificity. And partly to the degradation of the social fabric which used to hold the French together... I'm old (fashioned) that explains why I find the prospect of the French culture -or others- fading away and vanishing une véritable pitié !
My moving to Malta (Gozo) will take place into the New Year and I'm really looking forward to it. But, as I said, je serai là-bas (à Marsalforn exactement) du 22 octobre au 19 novembre, prospecting fro Business&Home.
C'est un plaisr d'échanger avec vous, Antoine, moi aussi j'aime écrire ! So let's keep in touch !

Amicalement,
Sabine
I am afraid the changes are universal to differing degrees. I thought La France Profond..make have retained its Frenchness??
I must look up Marsalforn.....think I know the name......

Je serai vraiment interesse comment vous aimez la vie a Malte.....You are looking for a business?
For sure stay in touch...good prospecting in your few weeks over there.......
good luck with that......

Salut.....A
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

I am afraid the changes are universal to differing degrees. I thought La France Profond..make have retained its Frenchness??
I must look up Marsalforn.....think I know the name......

Je serai vraiment interesse comment vous aimez la vie a Malte.....You are looking for a business?
For sure stay in touch...good prospecting in your few weeks over there.......
good luck with that......

Salut.....A
Bonjour Antoine,
So here I am in Marsalforn, face à la Méditerranée... le soir on voit parfois les lumières de la côte sicilienne.
Sorry, I didn't answer your last mail, it's been crescendo prior to my departure to Malta. Yes, I am looking for business over here. Not too sure what yet et j'ai le temps d'y réfléchir. Right now I am unwinding and this is a great place to do so.
When you do come to Gozo, will you rent a car ? It might be a good idea if it's gonna be a day-trip. Can't imagine going around visiting the island by bus. Mind you have the hop on, hop off sightseeing (red or blue) double-decked ones you can catch right outside the Ferry Terminal. They're handy and I used them quite a lot last time I was here.
En tout cas, venez voir cet endroit que je trouve merveilleux (et je ne suis pas la seule) surtout que le temps est encore doux et agréable en ce moment.
Bien amicalement,
Sabine
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Comment est la procedure de recherche,Sabine?
Malheureusement, I only passed a day in Malta and didn't have time to visit Gozo. I did look around St Juliens though. Rather expensive....but nice.

So will need to make a further trip. Loved South Africa and Namibia though....
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Sorry Antoine, I just got your message now.

A shame you only spend one day in Malta... I was, at the time, en France qui est à mes yeux l'horreur totale !!! Plus jamais je ne pourrai y vivre.
L'Afrique du Sud a l'air en effet d'être un pays intéressant mais en ce qui me concerne, j'ai trouvé mon petit coin de paradis sur terre et c'est Gozo - mais qui ne plaît pas à d'autres.
I have met a few people -and made a couple of very good friends- and I -or rather they- could be of some help when you come back pour une exploration plus appronfondie sur Malte et Gozo, if you want.

A bientôt, amicalement,

Sabine
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:06 am
Just Joined

P.S. La Namibie m'attirait beaucoup, cela semble un pays propsère mais l'Afrique effraie toujours les femmes (seules) .... c'est un étrange continent où les Blancs ont fait beaucoup de dégâts, malheureusement.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am hoping to return to Malta for a prolonged stay next year and stay in Gozo....searching a rental.........

Namibia is really great and checked out prices in Swakomund,but they have gone through the roof.........will return there as well as just like the country.
Cape Town is one of my favourite cities..never tire of it or the countryside.

A shame indeed only one day in Malta. St Julien's had a buzz although Valetta appeared quieter than usual.......

What is Gozo like in winter? I shall await your report........
Salut,
Anton
Old Dec 16th 2012, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Well Anton, the "real" winter hasn't started yet. It is much warmer here than it was in the Midi during the month I spent there. But the climate is extremely humid (the island syndrome) so the cold is vicious (so I was told) and goes right through your skin and bones... that's January and February, sometimes March (so I was told). It actually reminds me of the wintery time in New Zealand where it doesn't get that cold but the humidity really gets you.
Of course like all ex-English colonies, nothing was ever done about (central what !!??!!) heating until very recently.
Gozo is cheaper than Malta but you've got to like the lay-back even backward way of life typical of this place.
There are currently loads and loads of properties for sale on both islands, you can pick and choose. BUT a few years from now, things will have changed... The Russians and other Slavs are already here... even the French (so I was told)
Are you back in Perth for the summer et les Fêtes ?
C'est l'occasion pour moi de vous présenter mes meilleurs voeux pour Noël et l'année 2013. J'espère qu'elle vous apportera encore plus de beaux rêves et de bonheur(s).

Bien amicalement,

Sabine
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Sabine
Aujourd hui etaint le dernier jour sur terre..comme une croyance (is it Mayan?)thought I'd better write just in case.
Oui,Je suis de retour a Perth. Must admit my mind is elsewhere at times.
I guess the sensible thing to do would be to rent and see if Gozo is really for long term living..or more holidays.
Wonder if the Russians are buying more to invest rather than moving there?
They are everywhere.

Must check out the costs around buying there. I've been hearing about fnon residents paying more than locals even on the bus.....

I hope you have..nombreous salutations festives.....and lots of luck in the new year.....Anton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.