Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in Malta

Car Insurance in Malta

Old Dec 21st 2013, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance in Malta

Hi guys, was just [attempting] looking into car insurance in Malta. It seems as if Middlesea (http://middlesea.com/) is the only one that offers rough online quotes... Was just really looking out of curiosity... From when I get down there, I will probably be driving either a) My uncles 2007 Kia Picanto, which would cost about €400/year to insure, or b) My nana and nanus old Opel Astra (1999), which would cost maybe €250/year to insure. But after I get a good job with decent pay etc... i'm obviously gonna want to get something nicer

Was looking into a sports car with 3700cc engine (3.7L... Did i do the north american litres to European cc right??) but it seems as if Middlesea (the only one with online "hypothetical" quotes) will not insure something over 1600cc to people under 25, which is absurd in my opinion. What if you are under 25 and have a good paying job and some money and want a sports car? You simply can't? Like what's the deal here.... Why should I be forced to buy a car I don't want / continue driving one I can afford to replace just because i am not of a certain age? Like come on we only have one life

Anyway, just wanted to see you expats already living in Malta opinion on car insurance down there. All i know is it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Canada!

Thanks
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Insurance in Malta

In the UK it is also difficult, if not impossible to get insurance on a powerful car under the age of 25.

Perhaps that is a legacy of British influence in Malta?
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in Malta

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
In the UK it is also difficult, if not impossible to get insurance on a powerful car under the age of 25.

Perhaps that is a legacy of British influence in Malta?
True, true... At least it is cheaper than here in Canada!! Insurance will run you about $2,000/€1600 a year on a small car for an 18-26 year old... Freakin insane. One of the reasons for my move to Malta. Now, I don't know if I did the north american litres (for engine capacity) to cc correctly. For the 3.7L Nissan 370Z, I put in the middlesea.com insurance calculator that it was a 3700 cc engine. Is this correct?

Funny, it told me that the maximum they can insure on ANY driver over 25 is 3500cc... I coulda swore I saw some Ferraris last time I was down and those have to be over 3500cc. What's with that?