Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help? Malta questions!

Can anyone help? Malta questions!

Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

165721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help? Malta questions!

Hi,

I have just received a job offer to work in Mosta in Malta. I need to gather info to make an informed and sensible decision, as I have other opportunities available to me and need tobe sure I make the right choice!

First of all I need to ensure the offer is suitable in terms of averages and cost of living. It is E20,000 plus a modest accommodation allowance of E2,640. Now this is a big drop from what I have been earning in the UK, but is this fair; the job is technical and I have a PhD.

Next is taxes. What are the taxes like and what should be expected as a take home from the above?

Also, my partner will be joining me, so we need to be sure that she would be able to work. She is a highly experienced secondary school English teacher in the UK, would there be opportunities for her, and what could she be expected to earn? I have heard there is a big industry in English as a foreign language, but she doesn't have a TEFL certificate or anything...

I don't need to ask about what it is like to live there, as I have got a good feeling for the place over my few days here...

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,

Jack
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help? Malta questions!

Mmmm, I should have a read on the internet as it seems most of the TV progs broadcast in Malta are in English, and certainly when I was there (quite some time ago) nearly everyone I saw spoke in English

I think Wiki says the population is fluent in Maltese and English, so if thats true I dont know what openings there would be for an English teacher
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

TheRusvaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Ship I'm on has been through a refit there for a considerable period, and other than that while in the Med we occasionaly stop by and I just love the place and I'm even considering it as potential location for shorebased employment no matter the gross pay... 165721 go for it if you can, thats my 2 cents on this one, altough salary seems to be somehow low even for Maltese standard for what I know... good thing is that almost everyone speaks English, altough at some point you might be tempted to learn Maltese which is one of few turn offs the place has, complicated language if you are not already speaking both Arabic and Italian...and good thing you are there over the winter as things are completely different in the Med off the season, so if it is good to you now most probably will be the summer. About Misses 165721, perhaps considering other suitable employment than teaching language?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:52 am
Just Joined

165721 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for looking at my post. My quandary is this. Yes Malta seems lovely to live in and that is not the concern. As for the job and the income, I would be leaving a job paying much more than twice the salary I would receive in Malta (based in Madagascar). However Madagascar is not easy to live in and I can’t be sure of the viability of the company I work for. So essentially I need to know what I could expect to take home, etc. form the Maltese job.

I was made to believe that the industry in English as a second language in Malta is very big, and that there are plenty of English schools which would provide some opportunities. My partner is a teacher of 8 years, and a very good one, so change is not really on the cards. Again she would be leaving a well paid job in the UK to live in Malta.

I know it’s a nice situation to be in in the current economic climate to be choosing between two or more jobs, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy!!

Cheers all,

JJ
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

TheRusvaj is an unknown quantity at this point

First, sorry if I got a bit too personal with a sort of a sugestion I made... however I'm also interested in this Malta topic and would be more than glad if someone actually living there joins the thread. About Med (European part) countries have many similarities, especially tourist areas, and altough (from my POV) an average Maltese is more considerate and polite than lets say Greek counterpart and Malta more international and hospitable place, check on this article http://livingingreece.gr/2007/07/03/...obs-in-greece/ especially the language teaching part is emphasized. Briefly speaking, locals having the advantage in that profession I'm afraid. F. e. it's the same in my country and on several other places I'm familiar with in the same arena so I guess Malta is no exception either. Anyway, good luck and hopefully something appropriate comes around!

Last edited by TheRusvaj; Jan 11th 2011 at 12:07 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Malta currently has two international schools: St Edward's College, a Catholic boys' school which follows the British curriculum and prepares students for GCSEs at age 16; and The Verdala International School for boys and girls, which offers an American-style education and prepares students for the international baccalaureate or IGCSEs. The Verdala School offers boarding facilities.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we researched Malta and Gozo in some depth when considering it as a possible location to relocate to. From memory, the majority of primary and secondary schools teach several lessons in English - the exceptions being Maltese, history and a couple of others which I forget. As such, your partner may be able to find employment in one of the secondary schools though you are also correct in that there are many English language schools. I believe your income tax would be 15%, above 20,500 it jumps to 25%, more info and a tax calculator can be found here.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

owl123 is an unknown quantity at this point

My best advice would be to contact the Maltese Embassy in London.

Alternatively the British High Commission in Malta.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice

i just saw this thread... don't know whether you're still interested with the info...

firstly, english is a compulsory subject since day 1 at school, moreover, it is a failing subject along with maltese and mathematics. to better explain, should a student fail two of these three subjects, s/he has to repeat the year. not sure how things are in secondary schools nowadays, but english is definitely compulsory here.

yes there are a lot of english language schools for foreigners & the business is very busy during the summer months. there are specific qualifications for one to teach english at these schools, however.

as for the annual salary, what you were offered is by far above average : http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...lary-at-14-466

as for taxes, according to the finance minister it is amongst the lowest in europe: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...urope-minister

it's more the cost of living that should be a headache, though. petrol is some €1.31 per litre, water, gas & electricity prices keep increasing. don't forget that malta does not have natural resources, it depends on tourism mostly.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

stiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Malta is beautiful laid back country. I lived there for 2.5 year and have wonderful memories. What you've been offered is not much to be honest and the accommodation allowance is indeed very modest.

If your wife is going to work there, then it might make sense. I believe that as a teacher, she should be able to earn at least €1000 / month but most probably it would be more.

I believe also that what you have been offered is a net pay. Otherwise expect approximately 20% to be deducted from your salary. If you have any questions, let me know.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

jacknife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

(SNIP)

In answer to your question, I think EUR 20,000 is too low - even if wages in Malta are on the low side. However, your wife can make good money teaching in schools of English, which roughly pay around 1.75 - 2.00 the average wage (approx. EUR 13,700 per annum).

You should look into submitting a joint income tax computation though - some good savings there.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 28th 2011 at 10:19 pm. Reason: Commercial URL removed
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:07 am
Senior

donpedro1939 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone that lives in Malta tell me if you can exchange an Australian Driving Licence for a Maltese one. Alternatively does anyone know who or where to call to find out this information.

Last edited by donpedro1939; Apr 24th 2011 at 12:25 am. Reason: word missed out
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:24 am
Senior

donpedro1939 is an unknown quantity at this point

Next question. Can anyone who lives in Malta give me any information on Maltese Private Health Funds and their suitability and reliability and approximate cost? I am 72 and my wife is 59.
On top of that is Travel Insurance for over the hill 72's and from whom is it available?
Thank you.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donpedro1939
Can anyone that lives in Malta tell me if you can exchange an Australian Driving Licence for a Maltese one. Alternatively does anyone know who or where to call to find out this information.
In general a non EU driving licence is only valid for a short period of timem that being 12 months, and after that you have to take a test to get a licence for the country you have moved to. It depends if there is an inter country licence agreement ... you would need to check for sure with the Maltese authorities, although what I have seen on the web suggests not.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Hi not sure if i can provide links but the Malta official site for healthcare is sahha.gov.mt hope you find what you need. a.d.t. malta should give info on driving issues. Good luck.