View Poll Results: Would you spend some of your hard earned cash in a shop such as this?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Books, anyone?

Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

165721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Books, anyone?

Hi,

This may seem a bit of an odd topic, but here goes.

What do you think the likelihood of getting any footfall in a small secondhand bookshop, knick-knack type shop would be. Kind of small and dusty like one you'd find in a quaint English town? Mostly novels (not trash) with some rarities, first editions, signed, etc. The kind of place I imagine older gents and ladies to peruse of an afternoon, perhaps have a cup of tea too!

Thoughts, suggestions, ridiculing welcomed!

Jack
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Books, anyone?

I think your clientele would be fairly limited, a big majority of older Maltese people i know do not even speak much English, i have been in bookshops here and wonder how they keep trading (they do not offer tea though), if you are doing it for a hobby you may enjoy it but if you need to make a decent living i would possibly think again. Just my opinion, good luck.

Last edited by maltaman; Sep 22nd 2011 at 4:24 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Manuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jack !
This is not an answer to your question but it's so nice to find someone who loves books to the point of losing his mind and money ! Passionate book lovers do not necessarely equate with good book-keepers... Besides Islands are very pecular as far as cultural habits, such as reading, go but I would have thought Malta (and Gozo) to be an exception. In fact, the exception would be New Zealand (and the famous "Hard to Find" stores) at least while I was living there -I left 5 years ago.
Personally, I love your idea and I'm all for it, but do not listen to my selfish interested advise. It's just that I would love your delightfully quaint coffee/book corner to be opened when I move to Gozo !!!!
Please, keep on dreaming, it won't hurt.
Hope to talk to you some other time.
Take care !

Sabine
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:16 am
MVS
Banned

MVS is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a book shop with coffee would be quite good.
I have recently moved here from Bournemouth where a coffe/antiquarian book shop has opened and it does great business.
It has become the home to intellectuals and eccentrics alike!!
I would come. ( I fall into the eccentric catagory )

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Gessika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maltaman
I think your clientele would be fairly limited, a big majority of older Maltese people i know do not even speak much English, i have been in bookshops here and wonder how they keep trading (they do not offer tea though), if you are doing it for a hobby you may enjoy it but if you need to make a decent living i would possibly think again. Just my opinion, good luck.
you must not know many elderly people
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

That is a strong statement you make, on what assumption do you base your facts.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound harsh. I am Maltese myself and I must say I don't quite agree on most elderly people not knowing the English language. They may have funny pronunciation (lol) but you must bear in mind we have not long been independent and the elder people here grew up with British soldiers. I would say most elderly people here speak and read English.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

That's o.k. i offered my opinion as i said on the basis of the many Maltese people i have come to know over the years, a lot of them do speak English and not all of them are elderly, most of them are from the inland villages such as Zetjun and Gudia etc. i have chosen to live here and therefor do the best i can to converse with them in their language which is after all mine too. No offence taken, i just thought i would ask out of curiosity.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

I shall hold you in high esteem for that as not many foreigners try to learn our language instead they expect us to speak theirs. Its really quite alright considering that Maltese is not widely spoken but its nice that you respect us enough to try.