50 Years On

Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 50 Years On

2014 is the 50th anniversary of Maltese Independence. Any regrets ? Does anyone want to return to the status of Colony ? I am old enough to remember the vitriol directed at Dom Mintoff and others who struggled for Maltese Independence. The London tabloids have different targets now !
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 50 Years On

My nanu's proxy vote! - "Hell no!"
My vote - same thing "Hell no!"

Although I am definitely not old enough to remember the Maltese fight for independence, i know that if Malta were to be annexed to the UK again, the Maltese would lose all respect for the UK they might have.

The EU would also strongly oppose it (and prohibit/prevent it 100%. It would not happen under the EU) as it is focused on de-colonization, not re-colonization. The Maltese people I think would also not like it either. Malta has a very good relationship with the UK as it stands, the Maltese like the UK, buy things from the UK, buy cars from the UK and such. But I don't think we want to go back to being ruled by the UK. Being close friends with the UK is different then being ruled by it.

I am proud of my Maltese passport and proud of ir-Repubblika ta' Malta. I wouldn't carry a UK passport over my Maltese one I am proud of my home and my nationality.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly I think Malta actually was pushing for Crown dependency status, the same as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, but London said no. This led to becoming an independent Commonwealth realm before they axed the Queen as their Head of State a few years later.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Interestingly I think Malta actually was pushing for Crown dependency status, the same as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, but London said no. This led to becoming an independent Commonwealth realm before they axed the Queen as their Head of State a few years later.
Yup, thats right! But in todays times, I don't think my fellow Maltese would like to be a colony of the UK
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Yup, thats right! But in todays times, I don't think my fellow Maltese would like to be a colony of the UK
I think Malta is safe for the foreseeable future from British annexation
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
2014 is the 50th anniversary of Maltese Independence. Any regrets ? Does anyone want to return to the status of Colony ? I am old enough to remember the vitriol directed at Dom Mintoff and others who struggled for Maltese Independence. The London tabloids have different targets now !
Have visited Malta many times over the past 50 years, and have good friends there. Well remember Dom Mintoff, and didn't like him. Like lots of us was not comfortable with the way he cozied up to maoist China and Col.Gheddafi. But I do congratulate Malta on the way it has progressed and coped with a changing world over the last 50 years.:-)
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think Malta is safe for the foreseeable future from British annexation
I would agree
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ononno
Have visited Malta many times over the past 50 years, and have good friends there. Well remember Dom Mintoff, and didn't like him. Like lots of us was not comfortable with the way he cozied up to maoist China and Col.Gheddafi. But I do congratulate Malta on the way it has progressed and coped with a changing world over the last 50 years.:-)
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno
Ah yes, the stories my nanu tells of the Mintoff days... Thats the reason they came to Canada in the first place...

The PL gov't in Malta is trouble and made alot of false promises to get elected... PN has steered the country out of PL madness since the 90s... They got rid of the notorious Maltese green passport with Arabic writing all on the inside (this:http://static.squarespace.com/static...greenpass.jpeg), and replaced it with a red one with the words "Unjoni Ewropea" on it. PL was against joining the EU in the first place and would of rather maintained relations with rogue states like China, Former Soviet Union, and Ghaddafi's Libyan Arab Jahamariya. PN built relations with the European Union and the US/Canada while cutting off relations with China and Libya's Ghadaffi regime.

In the history of Malta, PL has caused more trouble than it has solved, and PN has always had to clean up the PL's mess. For example with the citizenship "IIP" program which is basically selling EU citizenship to anyone with €1 million... , the PN will have to clean up that mess... PL is obviously not handling the whole migrants issue well either. Muscat's first reaction was "We are gonna put them all on an Air Malta plane and fly them back to Libya" OK well Joseph, if you weren't aware, your country is in the EU, and that's not the way it works. These people are human too, and it isn't their fault they were born in an economic and political wasteland. They should be given full asylum, but Malta shouldn't have to shoulder the responsibility alone. The EU should be farming them off to EU countries that need skilled workers. Malta is already full enough, and the little jobs there are in Malta should be given to Maltese and EU citizens like you and I.