Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Old May 5th 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

amienleo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia ?

Originally Posted by djoerk
I am thinking for so doing - but am surprised at the number of gated communities. Is it really required? Is this merely an import from America or even South Africa? No such thing exists in the UK. They are also terribly expensive!

As a single female with an elderly Mother - would you recommend a gated community? I would prefer to live in a decent residential area amongst the community which I wish to join - rather than a more "exclusive" area.
The gated community in Malaysia is mainly for the sake of exclusivity and also some facilities for the landed properties. This is to cater to those who like the condominium facilities but would lilke to stay in a landed property.
Old May 5th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Thanks Amienlo for your two replies. Very Helpful.

Irritating about the Pension - in fact my Private Pension Scheme Pension will Increase over the years - but my State Government Pension will decrease in real terms as it will be frozen once I leave the UK! The Deposit will then limit the amount of property I can buy in the first year - or I will have to get a mortgage for that amount for one year.

Do you, personally, think it would be wiser\safer for me and my Mother to stay in a Gated Community for security reasons?
Old May 5th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by djoerk
Thanks Amienlo for your two replies. Very Helpful.

Irritating about the Pension - in fact my Private Pension Scheme Pension will Increase over the years - but my State Government Pension will decrease in real terms as it will be frozen once I leave the UK! The Deposit will then limit the amount of property I can buy in the first year - or I will have to get a mortgage for that amount for one year.

Do you, personally, think it would be wiser\safer for me and my Mother to stay in a Gated Community for security reasons?

You will be able to do different arrangements with the landlord for the purchase or even just get a small amount of loan for the property purchase.

While the type of property puchased, that really depends on where you are going to stay.. if you are retiring in Penang, then you can just buy anywhere you would like to... and normally the British will buy a condominium instead.. you will be seeing many british relaxing at the pool deck during the day...
Old May 5th 2008, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

We have lived in Bungalows all our lives in the Far East and UK. So I would prefer a detached Bungalow: and the more traditional or "Malay" it looks the better: Apartments, flats and Condos : My Mother would refuse to live in one! Privacy is essential for peace and quiet - and the new gated developments - look, what the UK would call, a "Housing Estate" which funnily enough is really not exclusive at all!

Where would you say that one could buy a detached, private Bungalow with a nice Garden without breaking the Bank? Penang, JP? Have heard JB is very industrialised and PD getting touristy and dirty.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

tonycheston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katongkaren
If you like Malaysia, can afford to do it, then why not? There are a lot worse places. We considered it but changed our mind and have decided on Thailand.
Hello "katongkaren" I just noticed your message saying you had been thinking of Malaysia but decided on Thailand. My mind is going crazy just now thinking of where I would like to retire to. A couple of weeks ago I went to Malaysia (Penang) to look around. Must say I was disappointed. I have spent weeks thinking about the Philippines, however when I read about the wild west situation there, the many natural disasters, earthquake area, volcanoes and of course the typhoon belt, it seems a little too adventurous for me. Thailand is a new place on my list.
Just now I have been living in Korea for 4 years,I love it but due to political reasons and stronger immigration laws I will have to leave in September, not long now.
I guess I will have to find some base and do some searching from there. Could you please tell me what made you change your mind and why you chose Thailand?
Also anyone have any ideas about how to find a cheap but comfortable long term (maybe 6 month) residence?
Nee your help pretty quick. Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

What is the bad experience you have encountered in Penang visit recently? Mind to share with us?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

LizBorneo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just curious... why Penang? How about other parts of Malaysia?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Penang is an Island in Malaysia that is famous for expatriates. It is not as congested as in KL and has most of the amenities.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:18 am
Just Joined

amienlo, Hi, please don't misunderstand, I did not say I had a bad experience. I said I was disappointed. There is a difference. The people of Penang were very friendly, many times Penangians (I hope thats right) greeted, smiled and said "hello". It was very enjoyable.
The big turn off at that time was not being able to swim in the ocean. The area I was staying (Tanjung Bungah) was invaded with jellyfish. This wasn"t just around our hotel but all along the north coast. Most places that I saw was very touristy, great for a vacation but not really the kind of place I would like to be every day. Property seemed pretty expensive. I am led to believe that this is due to the island already pretty much exploited as far as ground goes. I love Penang for a vacation but not to live. I am not looking for an "England from home" which is the impression I got from Batu Ferenghi or Gurney Drive. If I decide to retire in an exotic place I would like it to be a little more exotic than what I found in Penang. Hope I didn't upset many people. Remember people are different and have different ideas and wishes. If we all had the same life would be so boring.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Hi tonycheston,

Have you considered other parts of Malaysia? For example, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Not yet. I will do. Do you have info about renting, buying and cost of living those areas?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonycheston
Not yet. I will do. Do you have info about renting, buying and cost of living those areas?
In order not to bore you reading my story, why not you browse these websites. Please note that I do not have any relations, business or otherwise, with them.

1. http://www.sabahtourism.com/home.php?lg=1 - Information on tourism.

2. http://www.mm2h.gov.my/ - All the information you need on how to obtain visa etc.

3. www.sabahmedicalcentre.com - Modern medical facilities

4. http://www.borneocountrystay.com/ - Owned by a British/Malaysian couple. Email them (Terry Mills is British) asked him directly what he thinks of living in Malaysia, and Kota Kinabalu in particular.

5. http://www.touchdowncollection.com/ - Owner is British (Phil Dobson), living and doing business in Kota Kinabalu. The following are also under him:-
www.kudatriviera.com - Luxury villas for investment/second home.
http://www.atmosphererestaurant.com/index.swf

6. http://www.1borneo.com/ - The largest hypermall, complete with luxury condos, hotels, entertainments etc. A mere 15 minutes drive to city centre.

7. http://www.nexusresidence.com/main.html - About 40 minutes drive to the city centre. 1Borneo is in between this resort and the city centre.

There are many apartments/condominiums suitable for foreigners to rent. Rental will depend on area, facilities etc. I was back there recently and property price is going up.

I hope you can find some information from the above points
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:51 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonycheston
Hello "katongkaren" I just noticed your message saying you had been thinking of Malaysia but decided on Thailand. My mind is going crazy just now thinking of where I would like to retire to. A couple of weeks ago I went to Malaysia (Penang) to look around. Must say I was disappointed. I have spent weeks thinking about the Philippines, however when I read about the wild west situation there, the many natural disasters, earthquake area, volcanoes and of course the typhoon belt, it seems a little too adventurous for me. Thailand is a new place on my list.
Just now I have been living in Korea for 4 years,I love it but due to political reasons and stronger immigration laws I will have to leave in September, not long now.
I guess I will have to find some base and do some searching from there. Could you please tell me what made you change your mind and why you chose Thailand?
Also anyone have any ideas about how to find a cheap but comfortable long term (maybe 6 month) residence?
Nee your help pretty quick. Thanks
Hi Tony, we changed our mind re Malaysia (for Thailand) for a number of reasons - however it is really just personal. I'm sure a lot of people love retirement there! Biggest factor was just that we feel more comfortable in Thailand. The roads in Phuket are very good (though not the driving!). Good international hospitals within a short drive. Great beaches and scenery - have been to a few locations in Malaysia and IMO does not compare to Phuket. Understand that the Malaysia retirement scheme is a bit expensive though you do have the comfort of 10 years. In Thailand, you get just one year but renewable every year. Understood that in Malaysia you also have to pass a medical. (Correct me someone if I am wrong.) That seems fine in early retirement, but what happens 10 years, 20 years down the road. What if you fail the medical and have to get out of the country at age 70, 80, 90? Will also send you a PM Tony.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Hi Tony, we changed our mind re Malaysia (for Thailand) for a number of reasons - however it is really just personal. I'm sure a lot of people love retirement there! Biggest factor was just that we feel more comfortable in Thailand. The roads in Phuket are very good (though not the driving!). Good international hospitals within a short drive. Great beaches and scenery - have been to a few locations in Malaysia and IMO does not compare to Phuket. Understand that the Malaysia retirement scheme is a bit expensive though you do have the comfort of 10 years. In Thailand, you get just one year but renewable every year. Understood that in Malaysia you also have to pass a medical. (Correct me someone if I am wrong.) That seems fine in early retirement, but what happens 10 years, 20 years down the road. What if you fail the medical and have to get out of the country at age 70, 80, 90? Will also send you a PM Tony.
There are not enough of us on this site to really know about renewing in old age - and only a few have done renewing under the old 5 year deal - but are not as yet "crumblies"! Those that have discovered it is whom you deal with - as usual . Additionally, although probably not being to obtain Private Health Insurance – their medical services are fantastically cheap and extremely good.

All really down to proving that you can be self supporting, I would expect – so I intend to keep the £23k FD on Deposit permanently. As usual, with most things, it all boils down to cash\finance – “Faces of the Queen” 

BTW: Have you heard of MRSA and Salmonella in Hospitals in Malaysia?

Personally, I might after 10 years - try to become Malay Citizen - if that is what it takes: Although I do not know how difficult this is to achieve. After 10 years away from this "Sceptred Isle" - I would know where my home really is (but I do not have children or grandchildren). UK Citezanship is not worth that much anymore anyway - particularly once living abroad - as benefits, NHS, etc are withdrawn and State Pension frozen --- and certainly the time of the Gunboats coming to protect us are well and truly over!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:55 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Was just saying that Phuket intl hospitals within 20 minute drive - not criticizing the state of Malaysian hospitals. Yeh, MRSA - sure both Malaysian and Thai hospitals are MILES better than those in the UK

BTW love the "crumblies" statement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.