Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by marsi
Am I the only one who seems concerned about/uncomfortable with the rainfall and humidity? I have lived in rainy places (British Columbia (Vancouver) Canada), but it's the humidy of the Malay Peninsula that really got to me when I visited years ago. Even so, (maybe because I have sufficiently forgotten ) I am rethinking it as a retirement place (maybe in the hills).
I notice that you said you visited years ago in Malaysia. I can understand then the humidity and rainfall would get to you. Yes it is very humid and yes there is a lot of rain but there is also lots of beautiful hot sunny weather and living in a place like this you adapt. Personally I would rather have hot sunny weather than cold damp rain which doesnt suit the bones if you suffered from arthritis or similar.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

drin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'd be more concerned about the political situation than the humidity, but that's just me.

Thailand, Hong Kong or Singapore? In a hearbeat. Malaysia I'd have to think about for a while.

-drin
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

amienleo is an unknown quantity at this point

what do you think about the political stability in Thailand? We can always read from the newspaper that there are always bombing in the city.

I would think that singapore will be good in terms of political.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:22 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the topic is retirement and Singapore does not have a retirement visa scheme - you cannot just move and retire there.

Bombs - well there was one in the Maldives, Uk had some, Spain had some, many others
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Well, the topic is retirement and Singapore does not have a retirement visa scheme - you cannot just move and retire there.

Bombs - well there was one in the Maldives, Uk had some, Spain had some, many others
marsi,
Regarding your originaal worries, I have lived in the tropical Philipppines now for over a year. In regard to your fears about high temps, humidity etc, here is what I think:

1. I was a little worried about the climate too before I moved. But after a year, I've found that my body has adapted well and naturally to the tropical heat and humidity.

2. All you need are fans and aircon to cool you down. Now, I don't even use aircon during the day, just fans.

3. Buy a car. All cars have good aircon in the tropics. And if you get too hot - just go for a drive.

4. I'm lucky and I live on the cost near mountains. In the hot season, if I feel too hot - I go to the mountain town of Baguio(only an hour away) which is 2000 ft up in the mountains and 10 degree C cooler than where I live in the lowlands.

5. If you have to go out - go out in the early morning or late afternoon - it's much cooler than midday.

6. Do everything slower !! Take your time. If you rush in the tropical heat - it's gauranteed to irrate you and make you angry, sweaty and uncomfortable.

7. Wear the least amount of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes in the tropics. You'll feel cooler.

Just some ideas,

Hope it helps...

--
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:17 am
Just Joined

So since the topic came up, and since we ARE planning on retiring in the next 10 years or so, what southeast Asian countries have retirement visas? I've heard Malaysia in this thread. Are there any others?

Thanks!
-drin
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Philippines does, Thailand does. We've chosen Thailand (we like a challenge )
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Philippines does, Thailand does. We've chosen Thailand (we like a challenge )
I only know about the Philippines. And tather than explaining about the all different long term Philippine visas types - here is the link the link to the main govt site :

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/retirement.asp

This an in depth site and explains all the requirements.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks folks! Much appreciated.

Katongkaren - we miss Singapore a great deal. Wave to Newton Circus for us next time you're near there, please.

Thanks for the link slowsmile!

-drin
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:44 am
Just Joined

vespajames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slowsmile
marsi,
Regarding your originaal worries, I have lived in the tropical Philipppines now for over a year. In regard to your fears about high temps, humidity etc, here is what I think:

1. I was a little worried about the climate too before I moved. But after a year, I've found that my body has adapted well and naturally to the tropical heat and humidity.

2. All you need are fans and aircon to cool you down. Now, I don't even use aircon during the day, just fans.

3. Buy a car. All cars have good aircon in the tropics. And if you get too hot - just go for a drive.

4. I'm lucky and I live on the cost near mountains. In the hot season, if I feel too hot - I go to the mountain town of Baguio(only an hour away) which is 2000 ft up in the mountains and 10 degree C cooler than where I live in the lowlands.

5. If you have to go out - go out in the early morning or late afternoon - it's much cooler than midday.

6. Do everything slower !! Take your time. If you rush in the tropical heat - it's gauranteed to irrate you and make you angry, sweaty and uncomfortable.

7. Wear the least amount of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes in the tropics. You'll feel cooler.

Just some ideas,

Hope it helps...

--
slowsmile,
For someone like me who prefers the mountains to the coast, your mention of Baguio sounds tempting. Any other expats up there? And hopefully less mossies?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:58 am
Just Joined

wabbitz is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in KL and have lived both locally and in Australia and the UK for a number of years. I don't know I consider any country home anymore - but as to whether you would retire in Malaysia? Sure, so long as you like the country.

Every country in the world has significant pros and cons. The only choice in this region which is a first world country would be Singapore (excluding HK, Taiwan, etc.). However, Singapore is also the only country in this region to be reacting adversely to an over influx of expats. Generally speaking, caucasians travelling in Asia has for the past few decades been treated very well not just as visitors, but because many Asians seem to hold a view the caucasians are superior. Singapore is bucking this trend - confrontations are increasingly common on a racial level. This situation has arisen as a result of high pressured living in a small country and an extremely high percentage of foreigners.

So, back to Malaysia. Politically it is more stable that Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia and others around here. Security-wise it's not much different than most countries in the world that's considered normal. Not much different than London or Sydney - crime is basically on the rise anywhere in the world, which comes from growing migration, overpopulation, competition, rising costs of living and other factors. So long as you stay somewhere sensible, move around sensibly, trouble will most likely stay out of your way.

Malaysia offers many gated communities or highly secure homes and the rate of break-ins in most suburbs is not much different than Australia or UK. The huge plus is the cost of living and relative quality of life. You can employ a maid very cheaply - they start around 70 pounds a month as a live in maid, whom locals work around the clock as slaves. Even the most expensive filipinos only command around 230 pounds a month. Drivers can be employed for around the same money - though experience etc. can make the more expensive.

All depends what you're after. Want a nice home by a beautiful beach or in the mountains? Go to Australia - many parts of NSW and VIC will offer that. Want an easy life with domestic help, a driver, decent shopping malls and low cost of living? KL isn't at all a bad choice, so long as you can live with the pollution, temperature and humidity.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose having lived in Singapore for many years and now retired here I am rather defensive about the place and would disagree with wabbits point of view regarding confrontations between Singaporeans and foreigners being on the increase.

But sometimes the view gained by people living outside the country will always give a different perspective to that of those 'too close to the action'

For me the 'confrontation' problems in Singapore pale in comparison to the 'security' problems in Malaysia.

But they are both great countries .
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Let's face it, you get negative propaganda about Malaysia in the Singapore papers, and negative propaganda about Singapore in the Malaysian papers - called spindoctoring.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:17 am
Just Joined

kk131 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived & worked in Malaysia almost continuously since 1986, originally from the UK. I pretty much agree with wabbitz summary. I could also add that especially the region around KL (Klang valley) has becoming increasingly cosmopolitan.

Katongkaren also makes a a valid point re Malaysia v Singapore. I haven't been to Singapore for a couple of years but I remember my last impressions could include clinical, big brother ... The local press & TV in both countries is controlled, Singapore as in everything seems to be more successful in implementation.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

RobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really nice
Default Retire in Malaysia?

I have read with real interest every page on this thread. My name is Rob, am American, and I've lived and worked in Singapore for 19 years as a teacher in international schools. I'm also a PR in Singapore (Permanent Resident). I'm currently living and teaching in Amman, Jordan at another international school for only a year. At 61 years of age, I am looking for a more relaxed pace of life. I have retirement funds I've accumulated that will allow me to do that nicely.

I have always had my rent paid for in Singapore, so while I want to semi-retire there, I really dislike the US$2,000+ rentals for decent apartments they are now asking. I am seriously considering retiring in Malaysia, because it is close enough to Singapore to always have contact there, and a lot of you have even recommended Malaysia.

I have a few questions. If you can answer them, I'd appreciate that.

Are any of you out there now in the "Malaysia- My Second Home" Programme? Can you offer feedback? While I do not need to work, I like the idea of a part-time job. Are you expressely forbidden to do that in Malaysia?

I have read that buying a private apartment is relatively easy, and I have read that as a foreigner I can even get a mortgage? Is that true?

If you buy a place in Thailand or the Phillipines, do you need to pay for the hounse or private apartment outright, or can you also get a mortgage. I have heard that you cannot.

I am looking to buy a place, call that my homebase, and venture off from there. I have considered the States, but after being gone for so long (30 years), I do not like it here so much.

I look forward to your feedback.

Sincerely,
Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.