Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:27 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by JC3
Ooops!

I hope the following is a better tip.
When you are in Penang check out 'The Wine Shop' in Pulau Tikus - 800+ wine labels there.
Also there's quite a good wine selection in Cold Storage supermarkets. There's two branches - one in the basement of Gurney Plaza shopping mall, and one in the basement of Island Plaza mall.

JC3
The Wine Shop's website certainly has some good wines and their restaurant looks very good too. The prices on the Cold Storage website are very attractive - when I arrive I shall need to reacquaint myself with Lindemans Bin 65.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:24 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the last 4 posts (at least) have disappeared off this thread. Is this a website problem of some kind of censorship issue?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

No . You'll find them under new topic What attracts people to Penang. Sue has put an explanation on there.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:13 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Thanks, I see now - good move.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:18 am
Hostage Negotiator

Following my exploratory trip to Malaysia last month I am posting an update for those forum regulars who gave me the benefit of their advice (for which many thanks) and for the edification of newbies considering such a move.

As is my wont, I will tell it as I see it and offer my apologies in advance to anyone who disagrees with my view – it is, after all, just my view.

We started out with 3 days in Kuala Lumpur. One can’t help making the comparison with Bangkok and many internauts have already done so but for me the two cities are just too different to bear much comparison. KL is quiet, spacious and relaxed compared to the boiling cauldron which is Bangkok – KL is a nice place to be and probably a nice place to live but not much like the capital cities of most other countries.

Overall we felt that KL was not a place we would choose to live but we would certainly go back for some visits. However, it was while we were here that we got our first exposure to the Malaysian way of life which was consistent throughout our visit. I would sum this up as follows:-

Extremely friendly, helpful and polite people
Widespread use of English, often to an advanced level
Total lack of being “pestered” to buy things
Harmony between the different races
Wonderful food

We found the KL public transport system confusing and not very “joined-up”, the sidewalks were generally very good but little priority is given to pedestrians crossing the road.

We rented a car from Avis which was an old Honda Accord which although it had done 200,000km was in perfect condition and drove very nicely. Our first stop was Ipoh and we had intended to visit the Cameron Highlands but they looked very cloudy and indeed it started raining when we got to Ipoh so we decided to defer the trip to the next day.

Without wishing to offend the good people of Ipoh we did not like the place very much although the people here have made a real effort to welcome tourists. The town is shabby, the sidewalks in poor repair and some parts are poorly lit so that walking around after dark is problematic. We happened upon Albert’s and had the best fish and chips outside of the UK (a bit chav I know but sometimes you just hanker for these things).

Everyone we spoke to told us there was no point doing the CH as there was nothing to do there plus it is always cold, wet and cloudy. In any case the weather was no better the next day so we postponed this side trip to some time in the future and instead set off for Penang.

I can quite see why so many people decide to settle in Penang – there is something familiar and comfortable here and it starts as soon as you get on the bridge from Butterworth. I don’t know why but I wasn’t expecting it to be so familiar – the tall buildings, the wide roads, the lights and roundabouts, the one way systems plus driving on the left all contributed a certain deja-vu. I think it has an Englishness about it, both in its geometry and its movement. I’ve read many complaints on the internet about the traffic congestion on the island but, honestly, it’s not so bad and, apart from the motorbikes, people generally drive quite well.

We had decided to make our base in Batu Ferringhi for a few days but went via the centre of Georgetown and it wasn’t long before my significant other directed me to a shopping mall. The malls here are glorious and their car parks are cheap, cheap, cheap. Add in the fact that there is a proliferation of bars, restaurants and coffee shops and there is little excuse for us men to deny our womenfolk their addiction. Of course, we also stopped at the Tesco superstore which i has pretty much everything except much resemblance to the British version. It gave us an opportunity to make some price comparisons though not terribly scientifically:-

Wine – expensive (say 30% more than UK)
Vegetables - expensive (some items like broccoli costing double)
Salmon – very expensive (and for some reason, a luxury item)
Most other things - cheap

Although this study is not very scientific it is not very relevant either since it is invariably cheaper to eat out than to buy food and cook it yourself.

At this point in our trip we were taken under the wing of Karl and Thomas at retire-malaysia.info who proved to be the most genial hosts and took us around hawker stalls, various member-only clubs, Chinatown and Little India as well as introducing us to a bank, an MM2H agent and various property agents. The time-saving, the quality of the introductions and the glimpse into the way-of-life of two long term expats was priceless.

Our stay in Penang was punctuated by a 2-day trip to Langkawi to check out the retirement potential of this stunningly beautiful island but after a short time we were already missing the liveliness of Penang – there is not so much to do in Langkawi especially if it rains (which it did) and the cable-car breaks down (which it did). It’s only 35 mins by plane so this is another trip for the future.

Back in Penang we stayed our last few days in Georgetown and since we had now made our decision that this is where we would like to live we set off to open bank accounts, lease an apartment and kick-off the MM2H process. Karl and Thomas assisted us in all of this – Karl is great at negotiating (he is German after all) and Thomas got us everywhere on-time (he too is German!) and also he showed us curiosities along the way. Everyone we met spoke perfect English and although the people are quite laid-back, the system itself appears fairly simple and straightforward and (dare I say it, quite English).

Our final night was spent at the Oktoberfest where we met more wonderful though significantly intoxicated residents.

Before returning to Europe we spent a few days in Koh Samui and then Bangkok. This was our fourth trip to Thailand – a place where we thought we might possibly retire one day – but, after our trip to Malaysia, for some reason Thailand no longer seemed so attractive and the Thai people did not seem as friendly as we remembered. The lack of widely-spoken English makes everything so much harder, and the lack of comprehensive systems in Thailand, means it operates in a typically Asian way (inconsistent rules, corruption etc) which Anglo-Saxons, such as I, find deeply frustrating. Still it’s a great place for a holiday even if it doesn’t really cut the mustard as a retirement destination.

For us, Penang ticks all the boxes as a place where we could live plus it also has the significant advantage of being a great hub for holidaying in the other countries of SE Asia which we also very much enjoy.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Following my exploratory trip to Malaysia last month I am posting an update for those forum regulars who gave me the benefit of their advice (for which many thanks) and for the edification of newbies considering such a move.

As is my wont, I will tell it as I see it and offer my apologies in advance to anyone who disagrees with my view – it is, after all, just my view.

We started out with 3 days in Kuala Lumpur. One can’t help making the comparison with Bangkok and many internauts have already done so but for me the two cities are just too different to bear much comparison. KL is quiet, spacious and relaxed compared to the boiling cauldron which is Bangkok – KL is a nice place to be and probably a nice place to live but not much like the capital cities of most other countries.

Overall we felt that KL was not a place we would choose to live but we would certainly go back for some visits. However, it was while we were here that we got our first exposure to the Malaysian way of life which was consistent throughout our visit. I would sum this up as follows:-

Wonderful food

We found the KL public transport system confusing and not very “joined-up”, the sidewalks were generally very good but little priority is given to pedestrians crossing the road.

We rented a car from Avis which was an old Honda Accord which although it had done 200,000km was in perfect condition and drove very nicely. Our first stop was Ipoh and we had intended to visit the Cameron Highlands but they looked very cloudy and indeed it started raining when we got to Ipoh so we decided to defer the trip to the next day.

Without wishing to offend the good people of Ipoh we did not like the place very much although the people here have made a real effort to welcome tourists. The town is shabby, the sidewalks in poor repair and some parts are poorly lit so that walking around after dark is problematic. We happened upon Albert’s and had the best fish and chips outside of the UK (a bit chav I know but sometimes you just hanker for these things).

Everyone we spoke to told us there was no point doing the CH as there was nothing to do there plus it is always cold, wet and cloudy. In any case the weather was no better the next day so we postponed this side trip to some time in the future and instead set off for Penang.

I can quite see why so many people decide to settle in Penang – there is something familiar and comfortable here and it starts as soon as you get on the bridge from Butterworth. I don’t know why but I wasn’t expecting it to be so familiar – the tall buildings, the wide roads, the lights and roundabouts, the one way systems plus driving on the left all contributed a certain deja-vu. I think it has an Englishness about it, both in its geometry and its movement. I’ve read many complaints on the internet about the traffic congestion on the island but, honestly, it’s not so bad and, apart from the motorbikes, people generally drive quite well.

We had decided to make our base in Batu Ferringhi for a few days but went via the centre of Georgetown and it wasn’t long before my significant other directed me to a shopping mall. The malls here are glorious and their car parks are cheap, cheap, cheap. Add in the fact that there is a proliferation of bars, restaurants and coffee shops and there is little excuse for us men to deny our womenfolk their addiction. Of course, we also stopped at the Tesco superstore which i has pretty much everything except much resemblance to the British version. It gave us an opportunity to make some price comparisons though not terribly scientifically:-

Although this study is not very scientific it is not very relevant either since it is invariably cheaper to eat out than to buy food and cook it yourself.

At this point in our trip we were taken under the wing of Karl and Thomas at retire-malaysia.info who proved to be the most genial hosts and took us around hawker stalls, various member-only clubs, Chinatown and Little India as well as introducing us to a bank, an MM2H agent and various property agents. The time-saving, the quality of the introductions and the glimpse into the way-of-life of two long term expats was priceless.

Our stay in Penang was punctuated by a 2-day trip to Langkawi to check out the retirement potential of this stunningly beautiful island but after a short time we were already missing the liveliness of Penang – there is not so much to do in Langkawi especially if it rains (which it did) and the cable-car breaks down (which it did). It’s only 35 mins by plane so this is another trip for the future.

Back in Penang we stayed our last few days in Georgetown and since we had now made our decision that this is where we would like to live we set off to open bank accounts, lease an apartment and kick-off the MM2H process. Karl and Thomas assisted us in all of this – Karl is great at negotiating (he is German after all) and Thomas got us everywhere on-time (he too is German!) and also he showed us curiosities along the way. Everyone we met spoke perfect English and although the people are quite laid-back, the system itself appears fairly simple and straightforward and (dare I say it, quite English).

Our final night was spent at the Oktoberfest where we met more wonderful though significantly intoxicated residents.

Before returning to Europe we spent a few days in Koh Samui and then Bangkok. This was our fourth trip to Thailand – a place where we thought we might possibly retire one day – but, after our trip to Malaysia, for some reason Thailand no longer seemed so attractive and the Thai people did not seem as friendly as we remembered. The lack of widely-spoken English makes everything so much harder, and the lack of comprehensive systems in Thailand, means it operates in a typically Asian way (inconsistent rules, corruption etc) which Anglo-Saxons, such as I, find deeply frustrating. Still it’s a great place for a holiday even if it doesn’t really cut the mustard as a retirement destination.

For us, Penang ticks all the boxes as a place where we could live plus it also has the significant advantage of being a great hub for holidaying in the other countries of SE Asia which we also very much enjoy.

Welcome to Penang!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Wow What a great load of information IVV. I'm sure that a lot of newbies will appreciate that.

I pretty much agree with most of what you have written. That's a good recommendation from you re retire-malaysia.info. I had never heard of them, though I have of course heard of the German Association, which seems to have a lot of things going on. Looks like a good website that they have too.

Did you have any big surprises on your trip? Was there anything that you really did not expect?

A couple of things to say. As you may have gathered, October is usually the wettest month here in Penang. I've grown webbed feet

Re: wine. Tesco is probably not the best place to get wine, though they are getting a bit better. Generally, Cold Storage has a better selection and usually has a few 'specials' on. I usually pay between RM 30 and 35 for a half-decent bottle, and occasionally splurge on a very nice bottle for RM40-42. You can find Cold Storage in the basement of Gurney Plaza on Gurney Drive. They also have a supermarket in the basement of Island Plaza (Tanjung Tokong) though have to wonder if that one will last. I'm sure they're losing a lot of business to Tesco these days.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:30 am
Hostage Negotiator

Hi BB,

retire-malaysia.info is quite new on the scene though Karl Ebinger, the principal has been round the block in Penang a few times and as President of the German Society he certainly has lots of useful contacts. In fact, it was through this very site that I met him so all credit to britishexpats.com for welcoming the German community.

I can't say that there were any big surprises - the only annoying things were:-

1. Taxis refusing to use their meters, although I think they are cheating the owners more than the customers because it always seemed to work out cheaper for us when they put their hat over the meter.

2. The freezing temperatures in the vast majority of malls and other public places - why on earth do they think it's comfortable to go from over 35C outside to below 21C inside?

As regards the weather, October is a wet month but it doesn't rain all the time and it clears the air when there is a good shower. Obviously it takes a little while to get used to the humidity especially as the older we get, the less efficient our bodies are at regulating temperature. For sure it feels cold back here on the Cote d'Azur!

I did go to Cold Storage where the wine prices seemed quite similar to Tesco although there was more choice. There was a very good selection of Oz whites including my favourite budget wine, Lindemans Bin 65. I paid RM41.99 in Cold Storage but I think it saw it at RM39.50 at Tesco. Anyhow it's some time since I bought this in the UK and I see it is now selling at around GBP7.50 per bottle (by the case) so the prices are not really so different. In France it's easy to get good wines for EUR7.00 a bottle so I stick by my 30% but only in respect of France.

Can't wait to get back!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:07 pm

Haha didn't realise you were in France so, yes, some difference in price I imagine.

Oh I didn't know that Karl was on britishexpats. Well, good for him. All nationalities welcome on here
Old Nov 6th 2013, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Great write up! Thank you.

Regards
Abdul

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas

Wonderful food

Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Haha didn't realise you were in France so, yes, some difference in price I imagine.

Oh I didn't know that Karl was on britishexpats. Well, good for him. All nationalities welcome on here
I hope I can make it next Tuesday to Viva so we finally meet...
Karl
Old Nov 8th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

@InVinoVeritas, I hope you'll give us a monthly update on your Penang experience, especially as I've booked my flights (SYD-PEN via KUL) for next April.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
@InVinoVeritas, I hope you'll give us a monthly update on your Penang experience, especially as I've booked my flights (SYD-PEN via KUL) for next April.
+2. I certainly hope so. InVinoVertas posts are a mind of information.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:06 am
Hostage Negotiator

Well, by popular request (and because I still have one or two nuggets of information to share) I’m back with another post!

As a bit of background, although British, I have lived the last 20-odd years in France. General economic mis-management in Europe plus mind-boggling incompetence by its President have created a situation where what was my preferred country of retirement is now a place that people are falling over themselves to leave.

I had the good fortune while in Penang last month to receive an email from my solicitor telling me that my house in France had been sold – two days later I signed a lease for an apartment in Batu Ferringhi. I still have other properties to sell in France but although the market is very depressed I’m hoping the tide will carry me back to Penang quicker than expected.

On the subject of renting property on Penang Island it’s been mentioned in several posts (and not always by bakedbean) that the area between Batu Ferringhi and Tanjong Bungah is the most popular with expats and this is where I ended up, partly because after staying at Lone Pines for a few days we became rather fond of the place and partly because this is Karl Ebinger’s stomping ground (remember he’s the principal of retire-malaysia.info) so he knows this area particularly well.

At this point it’s worth mentioning that, on the internet, there appears to be zillions of apartments for rent in Penang and hundreds of property agents. However, according to Karl, the vast majority of these apartments are either not available for rent or not in a rentable condition. Assuming this is the case, I think it would have been impossible for me to find somewhere suitable in the time I had available. As it is I only saw 3 apartments. One was so high up you needed binoculars to see the ground, the next one had a panoramic view of the local paper factory but the last one was the Goldilocks of the three with its view of sea and mountainside. It’s about 100m2, has two bedrooms and very nice furnishings which include things such as flatscreen TV and DVD player. For anyone doing their budgets, the cost of this is RM1,500 per month. It makes you wonder why anyone would bother buying here as I think this apartment would sell for around RM1M. This represents a return of under 2% pa and can surely only be of interest if property prices continue their upward spiral.

As I mentioned in my last post, I met with an MM2H agent in Georgetown (I won’t give the name as this is a contact from retire-malaysia.info). The lady was very competent and we were soon told that if I were to be the MM2H applicant then I would have to adopt my wife’s young son (from a previous marriage) in order for him to be included in the application. Alternatively my wife could make the application with me as her spouse and then no adoption would be necessary. This demonstrates to me the value of using a professional agent for the MM2H process and of discussing all the relevant factors in order to get the best possible advice. I anticipate we’ll submit the MM2H application in 1-2 months time so I shall learn more later.

My final observation in this post concerns banking arrangements. I’ve been an HSBC Premier customer for years without ever getting any real benefit from this status. All this changed however from the moment I walked into HSBC in downtown Penang. In the space of 2 visits (which were about 4 days apart) I had opened RM, EUR and GBP current accounts, a savings account for the MM2H fixed deposit, plus a debit card and internet banking key. By associating these new accounts with my existing HSBC account I can do instant bank transfers from Europe at no cost. It goes without saying that, as an existing customer, I didn’t have to provide any documentation whasoever apart from my passport.

It’s going to take me some time to tie up my affairs and become a regular on the Penang scene. My wife is still working and not yet of a a mind to retire (although it’s possible the President may have other plans for her), so it’s a little early for me to start a monthly blog on my Penang experiences. But when I have something to share or a question to ask I shall certainly be on here again.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Nov 10th 2013 at 9:20 am.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Another great and valuable posts from #InVinoVeritas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.