Reload this Page >

Wanting to get advice on where to live in Malaysia

Wanting to get advice on where to live in Malaysia

Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:46 am
Just Joined

paul_thompson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to get advice on where to live in Malaysia

Hi,

I've stayed at Tanjung Bungah Beach hotel a couple of times and find it clean and cheap.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We always used to use the Paradise Sandy Bay.
Then last year the hotel next door can't remember it's former name was refurbed and we've tried it recently and it's slightly better than the Paradise.
Not much in it.
The refurbed hotel is called The Flamingo.

The Crab Village is a 15 min walk turn right out of the hotel and the mini mart opposite the hotel sells all the stuff you might need and does some cheap stir fries.
The Indian Rest opposite is also good and there's a Bavarian Rest 10 min up the road turn left out of the hotel.
Buses stop directly outside the hotel and the Kasina car hire has good rates and their office in BF although they will drop off and pick up for free.

We've tried the Tanjong Bungah Hotel but the Paradise and Flamingo are better imo.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Paul and ex-reg - I'll stick those in the memory bank. We've already booked something for our next trip (unfortunately) but that's handy to know for the future.

I guess the Indian rest is the Sri Ananda Bhawan (sp?). I've not ate there, it gets a lot of good reviews tho' some friends of ours, who live not far away, say that the service has gone really downhill. The Bavarian, I assume you mean Ingolff's Kneipe? Someone told me that the Indian a couple of doors down from there is quite good. Anyway, I've gone terribly off topic Maybe we should start a Penang Foodie thread?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:34 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SUNSHINE_HUNTERS
Hi All,
We are a UK family looking at moving to Malaysia under "the second home programme. We have 2 children of secondary school age and wondered about schooling and the price? Is there such a thing as free schooling??
What would we expect to pay renting a 3 bedroom apartment with mod cons?
Also recommendations on tourist hotspots: Would we need a car? How good is public transport?
Sorry for all the questions..........would really appreciate so honest advice good or bad.
malaysia is a third world country. the only city that i would only live in is Kuala Lumpur. trust me. KL is the most exciting and vibrant city with the most jobs.

yes you WILL need a car depending on where you live. KL less so since they have KL sentral, a train system. public transport outside KL is very run down and inefficient.

Tourist hotspots? a lot of waterfalls, beaches and parks, that is about it. Malaysia is a third world country...you can probably finish viewing KL in just 3 days...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Originally Posted by wowoweee
malaysia is a third world country. the only city that i would only live in is Kuala Lumpur. trust me. KL is the most exciting and vibrant city with the most jobs.

Tourist hotspots? a lot of waterfalls, beaches and parks, that is about it. Malaysia is a third world country...you can probably finish viewing KL in just 3 days...
That's your opinion. Not everyone visits a country and expects home comforts. Something different, is what people like.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by andrewrh
That's your opinion. Not everyone visits a country and expects home comforts. Something different, is what people like.
it is actually an objective fact, not an opinion. i have been to almost every major city in msia.

gdp per capita of 7k usd (same group as botswana and libya) , bumiputra policies, 6 years imprisonment in solitary confinement for homosexual sex aka anwar sodomy case and caning/community service for drinking alcohol! Malaysia!

how about north korea? i heard it is different as well, you might like it.

Last edited by wowoweee; Apr 28th 2010 at 9:06 am.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future

gdp per capita of 7k usd (same group as botswana and libya) , bumiputra policies, 6 years imprisonment in solitary confinement for homosexual sex aka anwar sodomy case and caning/community service for drinking alcohol! Malaysia!
You can get 15 years for smoking weed in the US... and there are lots of people on less than 10k a year...I guess that makes lots of the US third world as well.

Your ignorance is really showing - GDP per capita tells you nothing about a country if houses cost 20-50k and food less than $50 per week.

The average US family needs nearly $12k just to pay for their medical insurance, they owe on average $16k per household on credit card debt alone.

There is more to a country than money...

Looking at your other posts you are a disgruntled Chinese Malaysian wanting to get out - maybe tone down your personal dislikes and just give straight advice.

Last edited by Zootalaws; Apr 28th 2010 at 10:18 am.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Singaporean I imagine. He seems to be getting his bowels in an uproar at the moment. I mean, it's only a forum.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Harry100 is an unknown quantity at this point

----- "Looking at your other posts you are a disgruntled Chinese Malaysian wanting to get out - maybe tone down your personal dislikes and just give straight advice" ----

I entirely agree.

Some people are best ignored - why bother ???

Cheers,

Harry
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Probably Singaporean I imagine. He seems to be getting his bowels in an uproar at the moment. I mean, it's only a forum.
bowels in an uproar, i like that phrase, interesting.

Originally Posted by Zootalaws
You can get 15 years for smoking weed in the US... and there are lots of people on less than 10k a year...I guess that makes lots of the US third world as well.

Your ignorance is really showing - GDP per capita tells you nothing about a country if houses cost 20-50k and food less than $50 per week.

The average US family needs nearly $12k just to pay for their medical insurance, they owe on average $16k per household on credit card debt alone.

There is more to a country than money...

Looking at your other posts you are a disgruntled Chinese Malaysian wanting to get out - maybe tone down your personal dislikes and just give straight advice.
you are right. malaysia is a first world country and a great place to live in.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future

you are right. malaysia is a first world country and a great place to live in.
I didnt say that, what I did say was that you would be better giving factual advice rather than personal bias.

You obviously dont have the necessary skills or maturity to carry on an adult conversation, judging by the sarcastic reply.

Maybe just go to another forum, you arent a British expat, you arent being helpful, you arent progressing anything other than a sterotypical view you have gleaned from reading inappropriate and outdated fact sheets.

As I said, there is much more to a country than money. Perhaps if you were to understand that, you wouldnt be so keen to leave your own?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt say that, what I did say was that you would be better giving factual advice rather than personal bias.

You obviously dont have the necessary skills or maturity to carry on an adult conversation, judging by the sarcastic reply.

Maybe just go to another forum, you arent a British expat, you arent being helpful, you arent progressing anything other than a sterotypical view you have gleaned from reading inappropriate and outdated fact sheets.

As I said, there is much more to a country than money. Perhaps if you were to understand that, you wouldnt be so keen to leave your own?
With his pov, I wonder why he has been to almost every major city in Malaysia.

I don't think he is Singaporean or chinese malaysian either.

My bet is a childish ex pat whose parents are out and he has found out how to use a computer.

We can do without him.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ex reg
With his pov, I wonder why he has been to almost every major city in Malaysia.

I don't think he is Singaporean or chinese malaysian either.

My bet is a childish ex pat whose parents are out and he has found out how to use a computer.

We can do without him.
As usual you are wrong. But that is the story of your life isn't it?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:14 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Of course a good discussion about a country should absolutely include the positive and the negatives, but wowoweee there is no need to keep posting the same thing over and over again. We get it, you think ML is a third country. However, it would be better to have a constructive discussion, and answer the OP's questions. Here is her first post just to get us back on track:
Originally Posted by SUNSHINE_HUNTERS
Hi All,
We are a UK family looking at moving to Malaysia under "the second home programme. We have 2 children of secondary school age and wondered about schooling and the price? Is there such a thing as free schooling??
What would we expect to pay renting a 3 bedroom apartment with mod cons?
Also recommendations on tourist hotspots: Would we need a car? How good is public transport?
Sorry for all the questions..........would really appreciate so honest advice good or bad.
Thanks all
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sue
Of course a good discussion about a country should absolutely include the positive and the negatives, but wowoweee there is no need to keep posting the same thing over and over again. We get it, you think ML is a third country. However, it would be better to have a constructive discussion, and answer the OP's questions. Here is her first post just to get us back on track:

Thanks all
It is a FACT that Malaysia IS a third world country. Maybe second world if you are feeling generous.

I wonder if anyone here has even been to Malaysia before. The only place I would live in is Kuala Lumpur, the capital.

Another drug damaged brain.

Last edited by wowoweee; Apr 30th 2010 at 9:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.