visa for Malaysia?

Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

michellea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa for Malaysia?

Hi, can anyone confirm whether a tourist visa is required to visit Malaysia. I have searched the net which seems to suggest a UK citizen doesn't require a visa, unfortunately I can't check this on the HC site as the page is unavailable. I'm assuming if not a visa will be issued on entry as in Thailand? If this is the case how long can you stay in the country. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:33 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa for Malaysia?

No visa required and, I think, no maximum stay.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for your info.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:24 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michellea
Hi, can anyone confirm whether a tourist visa is required to visit Malaysia. I have searched the net which seems to suggest a UK citizen doesn't require a visa, unfortunately I can't check this on the HC site as the page is unavailable. I'm assuming if not a visa will be issued on entry as in Thailand? If this is the case how long can you stay in the country. Any help would be appreciated.
I have UK passport and last time I went there (last year) it was visa on arrival and you get a mighty 3 months stamped in the passport - one reason why so many Brits choose Malaysia to live in and do 3 monthly visa runs
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

that's great thanks, we were thinking of spending a few months over the winters there but wasn't sure about the visa. I don't really want to go down the MM2H route, only wanting to rent not buy. So if we get 3 months and possible extension that would be ideal.

Anyone know the best place to stay in Penang?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

that's great thanks, we were thinking of spending a few months over the winters there but wasn't sure about the visa. I don't really want to go down the MM2H route, only wanting to rent not buy. So if we get 3 months and possible extension that would be ideal.

If you want a beach stay then Batu Ferrenghi is the main part of Penang to stay. The beaches are sandy but beware of the jelly fish in the sea which is not very clear. However all the hotels have lovely gardens with swimming pools and a walk through to the beach. When I lived in Kuala Lumpur my husband and I along with ten other friends (5 couples) spent Christmas at the Penang Park Royal which was very nice and then my husband and I stayed a couple of times at the Bayview Beach Hotel which was further round and a bit quieter but very very nice. The Holiday Inn is also there but make sure you ask for a beachfront room as they have buildings on both sides of the main road. It depends on your budget and what you want but I am sure you will find somewhere nice to stay. The Sheraton in Georgetown is very nice if you want a city break again see what you want. Enjoy your stay and I a very jealous, I love Penang and hope I will get back there some day again.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:41 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about extending an entry visa - maybe someone based in Malaysia can answer that one, though why not do a short visa run to somewhere close by, say Phuket or Singapore - both worth a visit and only a short flight, then you'll get another 3 month entry visa on your return. (If going to Singapore in the winter months check out the weather first as it gets the North East monsoon around December or January and it really rains.)
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, it's a good idea but wonder if anyone on a tourist visa has done this. We have been doing winters in Goa (it's had it's day now after 10 years) but have decided this year to take a month out to explore Malaysia and decide where we think would be best for a winter stay and infact even if we only got 3 months it wouldn't cause too many problems. Thanks again
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, it's a good idea but wonder if anyone on a tourist visa has done this. We have been doing winters in Goa (it's had it's day now after 10 years) but have decided this year to take a month out to explore Malaysia and decide where we think would be best for a winter stay and infact even if we only got 3 months it wouldn't cause too many problems. Thanks again
Having lived in Malaysia for over 4 years, the humidity is always very high and it can rain most days so wouldnt let that put you off. Our Christmas' in Penang were spent on the beach and during the day it was glorious and hot and we used to watch the rain coming in off the sea but sitting under our shade it would last possibly half an hour and then out came the sunshine again. On the visa run most people who did this were people who didnt have a residency visa which was normally done by the company but at the end of our time in Kuala Lumpur they were starting to clamp down on the "Visa runs". Our company always had our residency visas all done and dusted well before the run out date.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Amazing Grace, thanks for your posting. Do you know if it is possible to leave at the end of a visa and re enter Malaysia say after a couple of weeks, is there a limit to the number of times you can have a visa in a year? Look forward to hearing from you.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Amazing Grace, thanks for your posting. Do you know if it is possible to leave at the end of a visa and re enter Malaysia say after a couple of weeks, is there a limit to the number of times you can have a visa in a year? Look forward to hearing from you.
If for example you are in Malaysia and then went to Australia for three to four weeks there is no reason why you cannot go back to Malaysia for another three months. If you are on a British Passport you just get it stamped on entry and thats it on your way.

Have a look at this link it might help you, have lovely travels and enjoy Malaysia it is a beautiful country

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun.../Malaysia.html
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:35 am
Just Joined

AJ Pawanteh is an unknown quantity at this point

I quote from the Malaysia Immigration Dept. Booklet:

VISA REQUIREMENT
i) Nationals of these countries do not require visa to enter Malaysia for all purpose of visits.

LEICHTENSTEIN, NETHERLANDS, SWITZERLANDS, St.MARINO, SINGAPORE, BRUNEI All COMMONWEALTH countries except INDIA, PAKISTAN, BANGLADESH, SRI LANKA, NIGERIA.

I am asuming that you are a UK Nationla, so you do not need an entry visa.

Regards,

Jamel
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks to you all, the information has been very useful, looking forward to going for a visit.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

amienleo is an unknown quantity at this point

you can do the visa run to Phuket to extend the visa if you are staying in Penang, there is a direct flight to Phuket by firefly, community airline daily. I do not think you will be facing problem if you are just running for once or twice. Since you are going back to UK after the winter.