Trip to Malaysia

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:30 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to Malaysia

Hi everyone,

NZ expat here after some advice and tips please! I've booked a holiday to Malaysia for May/June this year and have an itinerary worked out. I was wondering if there's anything you would add or recommend - trips, places, restaurants/cafes, activities etc. We a young (30's) couple into outdoorsy stuff, not really into traipsing around shops or museums all day. So far we've got:

3 nights in KL
1 week stay at the Myne Resort on the Kinabatangan River
5 days in Kuching (with a 1 night stay in Bako)
6 days diving on the Perhentian Islands
2 nights KL - bit longer than what we wanted in KL but the way the flights worked out we kind of had to - any suggestions on other activities to do in/around KL? Happy to travel out a bit. We've already been to Malaka. We thought about this place maybe: http://www.skytrex-adventure.com/index.php

Thank you
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 5:39 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Malaysia

Have you looked on TripAdvisor?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...-Malaysia.html
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:02 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi everyone,

NZ expat here after some advice and tips please! I've booked a holiday to Malaysia for May/June this year and have an itinerary worked out. I was wondering if there's anything you would add or recommend - trips, places, restaurants/cafes, activities etc. We a young (30's) couple into outdoorsy stuff, not really into traipsing around shops or museums all day. So far we've got:

3 nights in KL
1 week stay at the Myne Resort on the Kinabatangan River
5 days in Kuching (with a 1 night stay in Bako)
6 days diving on the Perhentian Islands
2 nights KL - bit longer than what we wanted in KL but the way the flights worked out we kind of had to - any suggestions on other activities to do in/around KL? Happy to travel out a bit. We've already been to Malaka. We thought about this place maybe: http://www.skytrex-adventure.com/index.php

Thank you
Reduce time in Kuching with a 2-3 day trip to Mulu

Don’t forget diving no fly time to avoid the bends
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:04 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Of course end May early June will be crazy as it’s Gawai / Harvest
Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Of course end May early June will be crazy as it’s Gawai / Harvest
In that case get a trip to a Long House and imbibe the tuak.
Went from work in Bintulu about 40 years ago.
One of my mates was 6' 10'' tall.
The locals couldn't believe how tall he was and they all wanted to know if other parts of his body were comparatively sized.
So he had to show everyone in the Long House.
He was a great hit and was forever having to put things on show when other Long Houses heard and came visiting.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
In that case get a trip to a Long House and imbibe the tuak.
Went from work in Bintulu about 40 years ago.
One of my mates was 6' 10'' tall.
The locals couldn't believe how tall he was and they all wanted to know if other parts of his body were comparatively sized.
So he had to show everyone in the Long House.
He was a great hit and was forever having to put things on show when other Long Houses heard and came visiting.
Lucky he was in a Long House... I can imagine he was such a hoot he raised the roof...
Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:17 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are booking a kayak trip in Kuching down the Samadang River, which includes a trip to Bidayuh Village. No time to stay overnight sadly, too short of annual leave Hopefully the stop off won't require any kind of showing off of body parts, I'm quite conservative you know
Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:20 am
She'll be right

PS - one last question! Any recommendations for hotels or even an area to stay in KL? There's so much choice and price ranges! Not sure what area to stay in, should we be close to the Petronus Towers, Bukit Bintang, someone else mentioned China Town
Old Feb 5th 2018, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
PS - one last question! Any recommendations for hotels or even an area to stay in KL? There's so much choice and price ranges! Not sure what area to stay in, should we be close to the Petronus Towers, Bukit Bintang, someone else mentioned China Town
Chinatown is a seedy dump. Bukit Bintang slightly less seedy but still too many massage parlours for my taste. KLCC is a nice area but expensive. How gritty do you like it?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I normally stay in Corus hotel opposite of Petronas Towers, near to all.
Walking distance to Bukit Bintang via an airconditioned tunnel and walkway.
The towers just opposite, if you want to visit go (early in the morning)
KLCC metro station just next building (Avenue K Mall) so its easy to go to Chinatown (Get off at Pasar Seni, Central Market)
And - a great Brazilian steakhouse on the third floor of the Avenue K Mall.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:10 pm
She'll be right

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Chinatown is a seedy dump. Bukit Bintang slightly less seedy but still too many massage parlours for my taste. KLCC is a nice area but expensive. How gritty do you like it?
We've actually ended up booking an apartment on Airbnb as part of The Face Suites. We were finding some pretty negative reviews on even some of the higher end hotels. We decided not to spend upwards of $200/night for what could be a damp smelly out-dated room. This apartment costs about $85/night in the location we want to be in and of a good standard (and has a great looking infinity pool )
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Chinatown is KL, it is the place to be. OK, it was the place to be when I was young, meanwhile I also would prefer to stay in Bukit Bintang where we actually lived couple of months after moving to MY. For KLCC I am still many years too young But thanks to the covered and elevated walkway it is connected to BB indeed very good and walking is usally 3 times faster than Bus or Uber.

The massage places in Tengkat are actually all serious Thai and Bali massage places, not what you expect. <teeny snip>

I can highly recommend "The Tropical Spa @ Bukit Bintang".

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 8th 2018 at 1:47 am. Reason: That fine line between jest and offence is all.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 11:27 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Declaring an interest, you have missed the best state in Malaysia - Sabah. We have white water rafting, the tallest mountain in south east Asia - I have climbed, croc farm, sea turtles, Orang Utans, Sabah Tea, the northern tip beyond Kudat, scuba diving, islands of KK with sandy beaches you would not believe, Kokol Hill, Mari Mari village, a steam train, and fantastic restaurants. You really should come to Sabah - it is a whole different world. We have eco farm, organic food, wetlands .... OK i'll stop there. If you come again, add Sabah to your itinerary.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:56 pm
She'll be right

Originally Posted by Hovite
Declaring an interest, you have missed the best state in Malaysia - Sabah. We have white water rafting, the tallest mountain in south east Asia - I have climbed, croc farm, sea turtles, Orang Utans, Sabah Tea, the northern tip beyond Kudat, scuba diving, islands of KK with sandy beaches you would not believe, Kokol Hill, Mari Mari village, a steam train, and fantastic restaurants. You really should come to Sabah - it is a whole different world. We have eco farm, organic food, wetlands .... OK i'll stop there. If you come again, add Sabah to your itinerary.
Hello Hovite, we are heading to Sabah to do a jungle tour along the Kinabatangan River which includes Sepilok and then a few nights in the Myne Resort for wildlife spotting. We are staying in KK for 1 night on our way to Kuching. Trekking the mountain is really expensive so we gave it a miss. Plus we live in NZ, mountains are aplenty here so we would rather focus on things we can't see/do in our own country. We are heading to Perhenthian Islands for a week of beach/diving/snorkeling so didn't see the point doing this in Sabah as well. I must agree Sabah does look incredible, can't wait