Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Travelling from Singapore to Malaysia

Travelling from Singapore to Malaysia

Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future
Default Travelling from Singapore to Malaysia

Can anyone inform me what visa if any is required to travel from Singapore to Malaysia for the day. We will be travelling to the city in January and we would like to visit my place of birth in Johor Bahru. We are both UK nationals.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling from Singapore to Malaysia

Originally Posted by THESHARMANS
Can anyone inform me what visa if any is required to travel from Singapore to Malaysia for the day. We will be travelling to the city in January and we would like to visit my place of birth in Johor Bahru. We are both UK nationals.
from what I have read no visa is required. you just get a stamp at the border
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Travelling from Singapore to Malaysia

No problem at all for British citizens travelling on a British passport and going between Singapore and Malaysia.

How long will you be in Singapore for? See below!

My mum visited me in Singapore for 6 weeks just after my dad died. Anyone flying into Singapore as a tourist gets 30 days, tourists arriving by land eg. ferry from Malaysia & Indonesia, or arriving via Malaysia by train, bus, car, taxi, bike or on foot only gets two weeks (it might be 15 days).

When my mum's 30 days were up, I drove her across the border into Johor Bahru and we spent an afternoon visiting the Istana and then went to the Holiday Inn Plaza shopping complex....and then spent ages in the usual traffic jam trying to get back into Singapore - but hey, she got a Malaysian stamp in her passport and most importantly, another fortnight's permission to remain in Singapore on her UK passport!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future

Only staying for three nights and popping over for the afternoon.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine on a British passport. JB is only around 20 to 25 miles away from Singers,right up the Bukit Timah road and across the Causway and you are there.I was stationed in JB for about one year.Were you born in the town of JB or at the army hospital at Majeede?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

No problems requiring visa you'll be chopped at the causeway.
One thing about JB though unless you know exactly where you were born you might find it difficult to find the house or even roughly the area.
Care to share and we might be able to help.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies. I have an address for where I spent my first few months so hopefully shouldnt have any problems finding it. Unfortunately I dont have the details to hand at the moment,oh and my dad was in the navy. Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for a taxi ride from Singapore central to JB? Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet is to take the MRT to Kranji.
On the opposite side of the road at Kranji is a bus stop with buses to JB.
Get on one and it'll take you through customs where you get off and on and off and on and you're in JB.
Really suggest you do some research into the street or road where you lived beforehand as asking a taxi driver in JB for a road might not work.

Only special taxis will take you through to JB and it isn't worth it IMO.

Oh and if you get into a taxi in JB then agree the price of the ride before you get in the taxi.
Last time I was there taxis weren't metered.
But taxi drivers there are very helpful.

Last edited by ex reg; Sep 29th 2008 at 9:17 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies. I have an address for where I spent my first few months so hopefully shouldnt have any problems finding it. Unfortunately I dont have the details to hand at the moment,oh and my dad was in the navy. Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for a taxi ride from Singapore central to JB? Thanks
Here is a link thats pretty interesting,it sure brought back a lot of memories for me and a few of my friends.I spent three years out there in 1955/56/57 Nee Soon Singapore Island/ Majeede and Ulu Pandan Johore Baru/Sungie Besi near Kuala Lumpur/Bentong/Ipoh and Penang,enjoyed every minute of it,a beautiful country.
http://www.derektait.co.uk/sembawang.html.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It might be easier just to get a bus at Queen Street all the way to JB.

I haven't done it since 2002 but at that time it was S$2.40 there and the same in Ringgits back, which was basically half the price. Cheap as chips.

Keep your wits about you in JB, and your wallet safe.

(reg - chopped You might want to explain that one.)
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:45 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Travelling from Singapore to Malaysia

Another way is to take the (Malaysian operated) KTM train from Singapore ...... It's located at Tanjong Pagar, near the financial district.

Here's an excellent guide to getting to JB from Singapore....scroll down for the KTM train info. Also has 'safety tips' too:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Johor_Bahru

http://singapore.angloinfo.com/infor.../20/trains.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanjong...ailway_station

Official KTM Timetable:

http://www.ktmb.com.my/

(You might even wish to take the train up to Kuala Lumpur or perhaps even further afield to Bangkok....they have sleeper cabins -it's sooo cheap and I'm hoping to do this trip in the near future):

This is a fabulous website for train travel and here is the info with timetables and photos of the trains and cabins on the KTM trains between Singapore, KL and Bangkok:

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Hope this helps!

(Does anyone know if they still sell the 'copy' DVDs at the Holiday Inn Plaza complex in JB?).

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 1st 2008 at 12:56 am.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:57 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sure do, EM, although these days it's easier to ring a man and order them, and get them delivered to your door.

Allegedly
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

MichaelDPoole is an unknown quantity at this point

I did my National Service in RE and spent most of my time (1957-58) at Sungei Besi Camp as a clerk in 74 Fd Pk Sqn office.
I have just located this forum and have found a posting by Brian (Arizona Wurzel) which indicates that he was there at that time. I should like to make contact, but not having posted 3 messages the system will not let me contact him privately. How can I get past this barrier?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MichaelDPoole
I did my National Service in RE and spent most of my time (1957-58) at Sungei Besi Camp as a clerk in 74 Fd Pk Sqn office.
I have just located this forum and have found a posting by Brian (Arizona Wurzel) which indicates that he was there at that time. I should like to make contact, but not having posted 3 messages the system will not let me contact him privately. How can I get past this barrier?
Hi Just post two more and i will give you my e mail address