Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Touchngo and cashless road tolls

Touchngo and cashless road tolls

Old Mar 13th 2016, 9:36 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touchngo and cashless road tolls

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Somebody told me it is possible to top-up at the toll booths, but I have never done that. If this is true, it saves any worry of finding you have an insufficient balance on the card when at the toll. I was told I would need to park the car, go inside the office and do the top-up.
I've not done it. But I believe you need to take the exit on the left before the toll gates and top up in the office, i.e. not at the actual toll booth.

JC3
Old Mar 13th 2016, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

So do I. They do make a small charge for this.
Oh! I was told by a local that it does not matter where to top up because charging a fee for it is illegal.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eCdD
Oh! I was told by a local that it does not matter where to top up because charging a fee for it is illegal.
I added RM100 and was charged (if I remember correctly) 50 cents. The cashier at Sam's told me about the charge in advance and it was printed on the statement he gave me.

I've just looked at the TnG website, and there are two lists of "reload locations", one with a reload fee and one without.

Touch 'n Go :: No Reload Fee

Touch 'n Go :: With Reload Fee

The reload fee is small, but to avoid it, the answer is to choose one of the locations that do not charge it. I notice Watsons and Guardian are examples where there is no fee, so they would be a convenient choice.

Sam's Groceria is on neither list, so they are perhaps a little out of date .
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:33 am
Just Joined

patr is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you can top up your touch n go at the tolls so long as you chose the lane marked tambah nilai. There's one at every toll I believe. It's usually the one with the longest queue!
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
So, how to proceed now when you are a very infrequent traveller??
As I understand, a Touchngo card needs to be purchased and loaded with a suitable amount of money and then be used.
BUT, for the infrequent traveller this seems to be a much more complicated and expensive option or am I wrong here, assuming that:
1. I need to load the card with a minimum amount so I will always need to have a surplus on the card.
2. I must use the card regularly to not let it expire.
What a coincidence: I investigated this one week ago (I am also an infrequent traveller). I found it difficult to find a place where they sell the TnG cards. It appears much easier to find locations where you can recharge it. In the end it turned out the easiest solution for me was to buy the TnG card at Watson (Gurney Plaza shopping mall B1). Basically it is a Watson loyalty card with additional TnG functionality. Charging it can also be done at Watson, in multiples of RM10. So yes, you aways have a surplus on your card, but it does not have to be large amounts.
The TnG functionality remains active as long as you make at least one transaction within 24 months of the previous transaction (once every two years). As others also already mentioned: since then have I also started to use it for parking. I'm too lazy to cue at the payment machines to pay for parking.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 4:09 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
What a coincidence: I investigated this one week ago (I am also an infrequent traveller). I found it difficult to find a place where they sell the TnG cards. It appears much easier to find locations where you can recharge it. In the end it turned out the easiest solution for me was to buy the TnG card at Watson (Gurney Plaza shopping mall B1). Basically it is a Watson loyalty card with additional TnG functionality. Charging it can also be done at Watson, in multiples of RM10. So yes, you aways have a surplus on your card, but it does not have to be large amounts.
The TnG functionality remains active as long as you make at least one transaction within 24 months of the previous transaction (once every two years). As others also already mentioned: since then have I also started to use it for parking. I'm too lazy to cue at the payment machines to pay for parking.
Great advice SushiFan, appeals to my laziness too! JC3 will no doubt explain how to get a discount as well!
Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

We always use a Plus card, my wife did get a Watson card but then cashed it in, no point if you already have a Plus card.

We always top up at Petronas here in BF to cover our journeys before we do any expressway trips as sometimes the stations on the expressway either run out or do not offer a top up service, we were caught once & its a real pain driving in & out of stations. We don't keep much on it whilst we are on the Island.

If they do away with paying cash on the tolls then all those people queuing to pay cash will then end up queuing at the touch machines with the rest of us.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

I added RM100 and was charged (if I remember correctly) 50 cents. The cashier at Sam's told me about the charge in advance and it was printed on the statement he gave me.

I've just looked at the TnG website, and there are two lists of "reload locations", one with a reload fee and one without.

Touch 'n Go :: No Reload Fee

Touch 'n Go :: With Reload Fee
Thanks for sharing this and for correcting my wrong information. I would be surprised if I really never recharged at 7-11, but can be! Usually I use the small shop in Putrajya Sentral or the one in Pasar Seni or the KK Mart opposite my home.

If anyone is interested: The TnG Card discounts only the bus fare in KL, not the fare for Komuter, Monorail, LRT...
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

TousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond repute

You can top up at Tescos in Tanjung Tokong at the customer service counter. You can also use it to pay at some tills at Tesco & at Sams in Straits Quay. Rapid Penang are also fitting their buses with touch & go payment capability presumably the same as in KL.