Too hot

Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:42 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot

Originally Posted by SushiFan
I was referring to Penang, more precisely to Tanjung Tokong and surrounding areas.
I think Penang and especially Tanjong Tokong suffers from the urban heat island problem. Too much concrete which absorbs the heat and not enough trees which give shade and cooling.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think he is being sarcastic hence the smilie at the end.
#IVV were you being sarcastic, ironic or sardonic? Either way I'm sure there was no offence intended.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:05 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Well now there's a tough one. Given I was responding to a comment which was, on the one hand, somewhat vague it could be I was being sardonic. On the other hand, given this thread is about Penang and we don't get temperatures in the low 20's, it could be I was being being sarcastic. Which is all rather ironic, don't you think?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools
I think Penang and especially Tanjong Tokong suffers from the urban heat island problem. Too much concrete which absorbs the heat and not enough trees which give shade and cooling.
You could be correct about the urban heat island problem. Plenty of concrete around here, and even more under development.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:37 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
You could be correct about the urban heat island problem. Plenty of concrete around here, and even more under development.
Up at Kek Lok Si you can feel this effect on a smaller scale, way hotter than the Botanic Gardens!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:17 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Well now there's a tough one. Given I was responding to a comment which was, on the one hand, somewhat vague it could be I was being sardonic. On the other hand, given this thread is about Penang and we don't get temperatures in the low 20's, it could be I was being being sarcastic. Which is all rather ironic, don't you think?
Please help me understand where this thread was specifically about Penang, given the number of different locations mentioned even on the 1st page?

Actually you know, please don't. I don't know why I bothered coming back to this forum given the hostility I encounter.

Last edited by OriginalSunshine; Jan 28th 2016 at 8:24 pm. Reason: Given up. I don't live in Penang and I don't have an mm2h so obviously I must be wrong.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Please help me understand where this thread was specifically about Penang, given the number of different locations mentioned even on the 1st page?

Actually you know, please don't. I don't know why I bothered coming back to this forum given the hostility I encounter.
A lot of people are attracted to this forum for help, advice and general information, often without making any contribution. Posts that are inaccurate or incorrect are quickly corrected. Where a post is vague, the sardonic side of British humour usually ensures a tongue in cheek response.

Far better that you comment 'Here in 《insert location》the temperature can range from X to Y' than to give some vague response. I have never been there but I understand that in the Arabian desert it can be blisteringly hot during the day and freezing at night, which beats your original reply by quite some margin.

OS I don't know your nationality, maybe you are not English and struggle with our humour. And yes, I know the forum is open to all not just Brits living in Penang on an MM2H visa. We just happen to nothing better to do other than to be prolific posters. Don't go and don't be so sensitive but do think about your posts, are they helpful, accurate and correct?
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It's that time of the year again. Maybe it's because I've been away, but isn't it much hotter than usual? I saw a farcebooker mention 38 degrees C and the humidity is of course off the scale in March. My aircon units are groaning.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 7:58 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abdulawwal
No problem. Let me know when you need some more rain sending up! ;-)
Hi Abdul,
Could Penang call on your help again please?
Some rain anyday now would be great!

JC3
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

It's that time of the year again. Maybe it's because I've been away, but isn't it much hotter than usual? I saw a farcebooker mention 38 degrees C and the humidity is of course off the scale in March. My aircon units are groaning.
It is indeed hotter. The newspapers talk about heatwave and are speculating whether the schools should remain closed (or refrain from outdoor activities) next week. The heatwave is supposedly going to continue until the end of the month. Changes will take place in April, when the weather patterns slowly change from a north-eastern monsoon to a south-western one.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools
I think that car temperature gauges read over-hot, especially in direct sunlight. Something to do with being encased in a block of metal I think, which makes the readings higher because of conduction.
I thought that too as I've been seeing 40c on my cars display. But a couple of days ago I was driving down green lane past the race course my car was reading 40c and the temp gauge by the race course sign was also reading 40c. About 5 mins further down green lane and my car was reading 41c. Interestingly though, when I got to gurney drive it was down to 36c on the car display, must be the cooling effect of the water. I've never seen the race course temp gauge go higher than 35c.

I have a very accurate digital thermometer at my house with the sensor placed in the shade and away from any ground that could help produce a false reading due to thermal effects, and that has not gone over 35.8c so far this year. Most days are reading between 34 to 35.5 at the moment in the afternoon. This lower reading could be because my house is high up on a hill though. I'm no where near sea level.

I was reading that they expect next week to get even hotter. They say the max on Tuesday could be around 43c.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I keep seeing links to the Equinox phenomenon Maybe someone more learned than myself can comment on this.
Malaysia ready to face extreme heat wave | Astro Awani
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:57 am
Hostage Negotiator

I keep seeing links to the Equinox phenomenon Maybe someone more learned than myself can comment on this.
Malaysia ready to face extreme heat wave | Astro Awani
I think Dr Mazlan has a degree in Stating the Bleedin' Obvious!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think Dr Mazlan has a degree in Stating the Bleedin' Obvious!
Surely for using so many words to say not very much his dissertation is worthy of a chair.

For bb's benefit, the earth is slightly tilted on its axis so that as it orbits the sun it has a more northerly attitude facing the sun during the summer months and a more southerly attitude facing the sun during the winter months. It is at its most southerly position (23.5°S) on the winter solstice (around Dec 21), moves up until it crosses the equator on the spring equinox (around March 21) reaching its most northerly position (23.5°N) on the summer solstice (around Dec 21). It then moves back south, crossing the equator again on the autumn equinox (around Sep 21).

So as Penang is near the equator the sun will be directly overhead two times a year. But Penang sits at a latitude of 5.4 °N so the sun won't be directly overhead until, I am guessing, about 3 weeks after the spring equinox and 3 weeks before the autumn equinox. Which by my calculation means the temperature won't peak until the middle of April.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any spare rain please send it over to us. Reservoirs are nearly dry , really hot most days - around 33/34 - and quite humid. Having to drink lots of canned liquid to keep hydrated but think there's something not quite right as I have a heck of a headache each morning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.