Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Time to ship household goods to KL

Time to ship household goods to KL

Old Aug 7th 2014, 11:55 am
Just Joined

BritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to behold
Default Time to ship household goods to KL

Can anyone tell me approximately how long it should take a sea freight shipment (20ft shipping container) to be delivered to me in Kuala Lumpur? I'm currently in Eastern Canada near a shipping port, but if someone has moved from the UK or anywhere else, that will give me a good idea as well.

Also, when a company does an air freight shipment, how long will that take to be delivered?

We have 30 days in a hotel or serviced apartment before we need to move into a flat, so I'm trying to figure out what should be brought with us in our luggage, what should be shipped via air, and what should be shipped via sea freight.

Thank you
Old Aug 7th 2014, 1:50 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to ship household goods to KL

Not quite what you are asking, but we did a container load UK to Singapore about 9 years ago. A lot depends on when the ship actually leaves. Ours got there quicker than expected so we had to pay for a weeks storage as I recall as it beat us there. I think we had estimated 4 weeks, but it got there in 3 I think.

I imagine you may get someone on here who has done the UK to KL shipment which may be more useful to you.

Actually.....I think Geedee may have shipped Canada to Malaysia (or Singapore) so maybe I'll give him a little nudge.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

BritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Not quite what you are asking, but we did a container load UK to Singapore about 9 years ago. A lot depends on when the ship actually leaves. Ours got there quicker than expected so we had to pay for a weeks storage as I recall as it beat us there. I think we had estimated 4 weeks, but it got there in 3 I think.

I imagine you may get someone on here who has done the UK to KL shipment which may be more useful to you.

Actually.....I think Geedee may have shipped Canada to Malaysia (or Singapore) so maybe I'll give him a little nudge.
Great! Thank you!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 40 footer (we were conned... they could have managed with 20' and perhaps a part stow in another!!) shipped from near Montreal to Johor Bahru (I think it was transhipped in KL) and it took about four weeks door to door. It was sat in Pelepas Port for nearly a week getting customs clearance and collecting very large spiders!! Might be an idea to have the moving company fumigate it before they start bringing boxes in the flat!!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Good to hear that it should take around 4 weeks. Although, the spiders sound dreadful!

Thanks!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

This was posted on the Canadian forum.... from Australia. But the bad news is they have them here!

Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:48 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, I'm glad I didn't know that when our shipment arrived . Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate, been in Penang 4 years now, and not seen a spider in either the first rental flat, or our own flat......and don't wish to.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Wow... If I ever see one of those things, I may be on the first plane back here, where no bug can manage to survive in the cold weather.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
This was posted on the Canadian forum.... from Australia. But the bad news is they have them here!

They have fake huntsmen where you are as well ?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
They have fake huntsmen where you are as well ?
No, we have real ones!

Do you think that video's faked??
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

No, we have real ones!

Do you think that video's faked??
Yes

Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Er.... not sure how that video is a fake? Could you elaborate?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Er.... not sure how that video is a fake? Could you elaborate?
Can tell by the exaggerated breathless steve irwin way he's talking that he is pre setting the videos up...he has a series of them which seems far too coincidental and the little girl has rehearsed lines she stumbles over...the inside spider looks fake in that first video and others...he's not scared of them, admires them, but is still removing them constantly in various youtube headline grabbing ways...none of it adds up...

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 29th 2014 at 9:08 am.