British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Things to do at Malaysian traffic lights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/things-do-malaysian-traffic-lights-907278/)

geedee Dec 29th 2017 2:55 pm

Things to do at Malaysian traffic lights

Read War and Peace.
Take an online course in flower arranging.
Estimate how long it's going to take the car in front of you to notice the light is green, to the nearest minute.
Get pro-creative with your partner.

Any other ideas??

uk_grenada Dec 29th 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Things to do at Malaysian traffic lights

Set up a haircutting business in the median?

geedee Dec 29th 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12406980)
Set up a haircutting business in the median?

:lol::lol:

bakedbean Dec 29th 2017 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 12406932)
Estimate how long it's going to take the car in front of you to notice the light is green

I just love (not) the way they edge edge forward while the light is red. And then when it turns green.....nothing :banghead:

geedee Jan 3rd 2018 1:09 pm

BB... hope all well, haven't seen you for ages!
Thread started after a nightmare trip to Malacca. Have you seen how many freaking traffic lights they have there, and how long they're red, and how dozy so many of the drivers are...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You missed the punch line.... "to the nearest minute" :-) Okay, not that funny....

bakedbean Jan 3rd 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 12409950)
BB... hope all well, haven't seen you for ages!

All good with me thanks. Not in Malaysia very much at the moment, just a week here and there... doing lots of travels.

Gunnar45 Jan 3rd 2018 11:35 pm

I have a friend here who fell asleep on his motorcycle while waiting for the light to turn green. With the result that the bike tipped over and he broke his collarbone in the fall.
It happened late night on a weekend which may explain part of the reason why the accident happened.

ex reg Jan 4th 2018 10:34 am

Akchewlee don't mind the wait at the traffic lights on the road from the Ayer Keroh toll into Malacca center.
Without the timings being shown though it would drive me crazy.

Gunnar45 Jan 5th 2018 12:05 am

Yes, with such boring wait anything can be considered entertainment ;)

InVinoVeritas Jan 7th 2018 4:06 pm

What you can do depends on whether it is a 60 sec, 120 sec, 180 sec or 240 sec red light. The longer the wait, the more likely someone in front of you has either dozed off or answered the call to prayers. In that case you probably have time to swap your tyres round.

InVinoVeritas Jan 10th 2018 8:47 am

Here's another possibility:-

geedee Jan 10th 2018 2:05 pm

That's funny, and a great idea.... I'm going to try it at the next lights!!

BB, lucky you..... sounds like you are now having a pretty cool life!

SushiFan Jan 11th 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12415280)
Here's another possibility:-

Be aware of passing bikes breaking off your arm....:eek: The traffic light being red doesn't deter them, it is only an "advisory", it seems.

mikelincs Jan 11th 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12410491)
I have a friend here who fell asleep on his motorcycle while waiting for the light to turn green. With the result that the bike tipped over and he broke his collarbone in the fall.
It happened late night on a weekend which may explain part of the reason why the accident happened.

Not in Malaysia but in France, we, my ex and I were travelling down to the South of France on holiday and she was doing the driving, we stopped at traffic lights, they turned green but we didn't move, I looked across and she was asleep, woke her and we found a lay-by, stopped for half an hour to have a nap then carried on with me driving.