Tesco

Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

ruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tesco

Originally Posted by roystevenung
Godspeed!
Thanks. I'm still a bit dubious by the on-line side of things, on the other hand it's sells itself on convenience-just hope that we don't receive a lot of alternatives as I thin that will irk the Mr.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

ruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud of

Well, I'm impressed, as is him indoors!

Only a few items were substituted, the delivery was well within the allocated timeslot, delivery man very polite and helpful.

Definitely using this service again.

N.B. We didn't order any fresh produce on line as we feel safer seeing this first hand and knowing what we're getting.

Thanks to everyone for the advice etc
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Ruby thanks for the update. Traffic can be horrendous in KL, of which it may contribute to the delay, but thank God you got yours on time ... cheers!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if there is a "red Cross parcels" allowance system simular to the one we have in the Philippines called the Balikbayan Box

I posted this question in the Philippines forum, yet for expats in Malaysia it may also be of relevance, then again perhaps not!!
We know that imported foods are sold at a significant premium, not surprising as shipping costs would not be cheap neither are costs of ales if you wish to retail such a product line.

"Has anyone here used Balikbayan Box( BB ) services from the UK? I know you have to pay someone to shop and then pack into an approved BB? Is there enough improvement in costs to warrant a DIY importation or is the saving insignificant over the cost of buying from here?. Anyone have any examples?"
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 7:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it was because of the Day of Mourning today but Tesco had the muzak wound right down, almost silent, and what a more pleasant experience to shop in. Would be nice if they kept that permanent. I don't suppose for one minute that they will.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

there was me thinking this was in response to my Uk red cross parcels post above lol
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:56 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mikemike Looks like no response to that. I've not heard of them here.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:54 pm

I'd like to know where those nice packets of smoked haddock have got to. Not seen them in months and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms
Old Oct 29th 2014, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

First bad experience with online delivery. Delivery booked for 18:00 - 20:00 just turned up at 23:00 without an apology or an explanation. :-(
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing specific in the UK press about Tesco moving out of Malaysia but they are in a lot of trouble. They are loosing a lot of market share to two discount chains and were recently discovered to have seriously over stated their profit. A number of top execs were suspended, the share price has fallen badly and the news today is that they are being investigated by the Serious Fraud Squad over the misleading profit. There was something in the news a few days back about scaling back their Asian market which may be where Bloomberg got their info.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
There is nothing specific in the UK press about Tesco moving out of Malaysia but they are in a lot of trouble. They are loosing a lot of market share to two discount chains and were recently discovered to have seriously over stated their profit. A number of top execs were suspended, the share price has fallen badly and the news today is that they are being investigated by the Serious Fraud Squad over the misleading profit. There was something in the news a few days back about scaling back their Asian market which may be where Bloomberg got their info.
I think we all will be hoping that Tesco will have learnt from the mistake made by Marks & Spencer, when they withdrew from mainland Europe in 2001/2, as a knee-jerk reaction to their own trading problems at that time. This withdrawal is now seen as a major strategic error, and M&S have recently re-entered the mainland Europe market at great expense.

Tesco is different in so far as its Malaysian operations are a joint venture with Sime Darby (Tesco 70%, Sime Darby 30%). If Tesco did wish to exit, it is possible that Sime Darby would buy Tesco's 70%, and continue to run the business as a franchise. This is how Marks & Spencer operate in Malaysia, with Robinsons running the M&S stores as franchisee.

However, we don't know how profitable the Tesco stores in Malaysia are, and what Sime Darby's view is of its partnership with Tesco. The return on capital that both parties are making is what will ultimately dictate what happens.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:25 pm

Well isn't that interesting. I had no idea about these joint ventures. Thanks for that TeeJayDee.

We were at Tesco today and discussing if Tesco were to pull out here. I'd said I would imagine that a company like Giant would takeover ...but maybe not then.

Very slightly off topic but I believe that Bt Ferringhi is going to finally get a supermarket as part of the big developments planned for the town. Wonder if that will be a Tesco.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:37 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco Malaysia saw 2013 revenue up 5.6% to RM 4.57 billion although profit down by 14.2% to RM 223.7 million. However, this is considerably better than Tesco plc's 92% profit drop!
Old Nov 1st 2014, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
We were at Tesco today and discussing if Tesco were to pull out here. I'd said I would imagine that a company like Giant would takeover ...but maybe not then.
It's not impossible to think Giant would take over. They could either buy Tesco's 70% share and retain the joint venture arrangement with Sime Darby, or buy out both Tesco and Sime Darby, to take full control.

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Very slightly off topic but I believe that Bt Ferringhi is going to finally get a supermarket as part of the big developments planned for the town. Wonder if that will be a Tesco.
It's good news that a supermarket is planned for Bt Ferringhi. It could be Tesco, but they might consider the one in Tanjung Tokong is too close. Maybe Giant? Whichever it is, the residents of Bt Ferringhi will be spared the long journey to Tanjung Tokong.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Tesco Malaysia saw 2013 revenue up 5.6% to RM 4.57 billion although profit down by 14.2% to RM 223.7 million. However, this is considerably better than Tesco plc's 92% profit drop!
As a matter of interest, do you know how they explained how an increase in revenue was accompanied by a large drop in profits? I am sure they will have a ready excuse, which will almost certainly not include "bad management" as a factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.