Reload this Page >

Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Originally Posted by ice mocha
walks!?!? shall i just say... walking is the last thing on any Malaysian's list!!! we don't walk anywhere.... we get in the car, air-cond full blast, get to destination, park, get out of car straight into another air-conditioned room!

its too hot & humid a place to walk anywhere!! trust me!!

the only place i actually remember taking "voluntary" walks... is by the beach, at beach resorts
Oh dear in that case Malaysia sounds like hell to me I am not a beach guy - I get really panicy when I am away from the city buzz Even London wasn't buzzy enough for me So it seems there's not many places in the world which may be suitable for those of us who would prefer to stay single and just take long long walks to relax and enjoy the surroundings

Thank you to others for your valuable input

Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Wooh, so many sweeping statements about brainwashed expats. One could be forgiven for suspecting you have an axe to grind.

If I believed the local propaganda rags I would think there was no crime whatsoever in Singapore. Having worked with an ex-gangster, ex-con, junkie, been trained in counselling addicts, and mentored troubled teens, as well as living in the red light district for four years, I can assure you I am far from naive.

Not all of us live in a good-class bungalow in Bukit Timah and spend all our days at the British or American Club, darling.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by runlikethe
I would suggest you visit Malaysia and all the other places you are considering a move to before making your decision. I am extremely sceptical of some of the views espoused here by those who have never ever lived in Malaysia but feel they have the authority to speak about the place, especially those who live/used to live in Singapore. This is for two reasons:

1) Singapore is probably the safest place to live on this planet. That skews ones perception of safety elsewhere, making him less street-smart when in a different environment. Even pizzas getting stolen from a delivery bike makes the evening news in Singapore, so that ought to give you some idea of the level of safety there. Furthermore Singapore expats think JB (the Malaysian border town right across the causeway, which is a bit of a dive, although a massive regeneration project is underway in Iskandar) is Malaysia and Malaysia is JB, and are consequently put off the whole country.

2) Due to the shared history and the sometimes prickly diplomatic ties between them, the Singaporean media is famously anti-Malaysian, and to be fair the reverse could probably be said for the Malaysian media. As much as the expats like to think they are completely immune to the propaganda, you will find many of them parrotting the cliches one would expect from a brainwashed local. As such, you should take their views with a shovelful of salt.

I have never felt any more unsafe in Malaysia than in the UK or the rest of Europe. I would not go as far as saying its the safest country in the world. Yes there has been a spate of bag-snatching cases, and their share of crime which also exist in almost any other country, but it is important to maintain a sense of proportion and realise that the country is otherwise a largely safe, stable and civilised place.

I have never heard of anyone getting their hands chopped off by gangsters. As usual, these stories you hear happen to someone who knows someone who knows someone. It's up to you to believe it or not.

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiative...ghts/index.htm
Curiously Malaysia ranks quite a way ahead of the more popular Thailand?

Naturally Malaysia may not appeal to everyone, and indeed I know many expats who prefer Thailand to Malaysia, but never have I heard them cite safety and security as a factor for moving. In fact many of them bemoan the fact that Malaysia less exciting because it is more orderly and civilised and lack the "sanuuk" spirit of the Land of Smiles.

Very good post, thank you.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Very good post, thank you.

A good post because it is 'unbiased' and agrees with your viewpoint?

Both sides of the coin have been put forward in this thread.

Up to people now to make up their own minds.

Finally I don't believe the hand chopping stuff.

But if considering a move to Malaysia then seriously consider the security aspects.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:24 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
A good post because it is 'unbiased' and agrees with your viewpoint?

Both sides of the coin have been put forward in this thread.

Up to people now to make up their own minds.

Finally I don't believe the hand chopping stuff.

But if considering a move to Malaysia then seriously consider the security aspects.
Handchopping comes from my uncle (current serving police officer in KL). Ex pat (Hong Kong banker) was followed over a week and was attacked at ATM in Bangsar shopping centre (also where the lady was abducted and hacked to death in 2004).
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

lee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant future

When i lived in KL last year i was aware of the crime aspect but all the stories i heard were of INCIDENTS happening to women as they are an easier target. Saying that my friend was in a major petrol station last week in KL when he was mugged on the forecourt where they snatched his laptop jumped on a bike and they were off.Dont be put off by KL these horror stories happen everywhere in the world and you would never travel anywhere if you listened to them all.The food is amazing.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:51 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee.walker1
When i lived in KL last year i was aware of the crime aspect but all the stories i heard were of INCIDENTS happening to women as they are an easier target. Saying that my friend was in a major petrol station last week in KL when he was mugged on the forecourt where they snatched his laptop jumped on a bike and they were off.Dont be put off by KL these horror stories happen everywhere in the world and you would never travel anywhere if you listened to them all.The food is amazing.
Not saying be put off coming - just do not believe its completely crime free and live in La La land as an earlier poster suggested.

Crime is becoming more frequent and more violent, especially in the coming times of global recession.

Plan accordingly and enjoy Malaysia - the food is fantastic (even better when you have hands to eat with)
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:57 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaysia orderly and civilized
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:27 am
Just Joined

runlikethe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Malaysia orderly and civilized
Compared to Thailand, by a mile.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by runlikethe
Compared to Thailand, by a mile.
Oh - touche! Though I would say it's more even-stevens. Some things more orderly/civilized in Malaysia, some other things more so in Thailand (though I can only speak for Phuket).

Anyway.... back to the topic - Starting a new life in KL. The link to the World Economic Forum - Travel and Tourism Competitiveness ratings, whilst it is interesting, I'm not sure that gives a good indication of living in KL. I would have thought first-hand information from someone who is living there, like Geelong Gent, is more relevant.

BTW if you think I'm a Thailand resident having a pop at Malaysia, I'm not. There's some great places to visit in Malaysia and I actually prefer Malay food to Thai food (though it's a close call admittedly), but the orderly and civilized comment gave me the best laugh I've had all week.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:05 am
Legless recluse

leglessfool is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Well just as soon as I can get enough funds together from my meagre pension, I too will be heading for Malaysia, Penang for me though

After 23 years in the land of smiles, I have had more than my fill of their false 'show' society here.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by leglessfool
Well just as soon as I can get enough funds together from my meagre pension, I too will be heading for Malaysia, Penang for me though

After 23 years in the land of smiles, I have had more than my fill of their false 'show' society here.
I took a look at your website link - oh boy, I can understand why you want a change of country. Best of luck in Penang - hope you have a good life there. I think for a western expat male, it's a good choice. A difficult choice if you are western expat female. Anyway - getting off topic again, apologies.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:58 am
Legless recluse

leglessfool is on a distinguished road

I took a look at your website link - oh boy, I can understand why you want a change of country. Best of luck in Penang - hope you have a good life there. I think for a western expat male, it's a good choice. A difficult choice if you are western expat female. Anyway - getting off topic again, apologies.
Hi katongkaren, thanks for your comment and god wishes. I do like Malaysia and especially Penang, I have a lot of Malay friends there now, but it is going to take me a long time to raise the cash needed to go there.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:56 am
Has left the building

I actually prefer Malay food to Thai food (though it's a close call admittedly).
If only all lifes decisions resulted in a win win no matter what the choice
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Please can you explain why Penang is a good choice for men but not for women?

Also, how does Penang compare with KL in terms of cost of living and leisures?

TIA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.