Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:39 am
Just Joined

TheHairyGoblet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

First thing, this is my very first post, so please be gentle.

I am a 30 year old male and my partner is a 29 year old German girl. We are engaged to be married and will probably do so in Bali next year. My fiance is half Malaysian and we have a dream to live and run a guesthouse in Kuala Lumpur.

My girlfriend does not have a Malaysian passport as she was born in Germany. Now, I need as much information as possible about the possibility of starting our own business in KL.

If anybody could give me any information about getting VISA´s (please not the MM2H programme as that looks way too expensive).....can we actually get permits to live in Malaysia if we are not going to be working for a company. Effectively we will own our own company so we will be self employed.

I know that moving country is a big step, but we want to start a business in KL and begin a family out there so we would like to know the restrictions that the government will apply and basically whether or not we can do it.

My (soon to be) mother-in-law is from Kuching (she lives in Germany also), does this help us with getting VISA´s etc??!

Please excuse my ignorance, but the beginning of hopefully a new life in Malaysia.

Any information would be great as I cant find anything about owning your own company in KL online, it is all assuming you will work for a company out there.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Starting a new life in Kuala Lumpur

Liz,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I am not sure we would provide you with any exciting information as this is the very first step towards moving to Kuala Lumpur and it is very much in the early stages. We are both still working our regular jobs and will not be moving out there until at least next year.

If you are looking for suitable candidates to put on a TV show then we will not make very exciting television as we are a long way off actually moving.

But perhaps you would consider me for a future season of "Britain´s Worst Teeth" or "My Child Won´t Eat"!! That is a joke by the way!

By all means, if you are still interested then just post a reply and I will contact you, but I don´t want to waste your time.

Best Regards.

James
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Liz,

You will have to Private message me your telephone number as your post has been removed from the thread for some reason.

If you send me a private message then I will give you a call.

Regards.

James
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheHairyGoblet
First thing, this is my very first post, so please be gentle.

I am a 30 year old male and my partner is a 29 year old German girl. We are engaged to be married and will probably do so in Bali next year. My fiance is half Malaysian and we have a dream to live and run a guesthouse in Kuala Lumpur.

My girlfriend does not have a Malaysian passport as she was born in Germany. Now, I need as much information as possible about the possibility of starting our own business in KL.

If anybody could give me any information about getting VISA´s (please not the MM2H programme as that looks way too expensive).....can we actually get permits to live in Malaysia if we are not going to be working for a company. Effectively we will own our own company so we will be self employed.

I know that moving country is a big step, but we want to start a business in KL and begin a family out there so we would like to know the restrictions that the government will apply and basically whether or not we can do it.

My (soon to be) mother-in-law is from Kuching (she lives in Germany also), does this help us with getting VISA´s etc??!

Please excuse my ignorance, but the beginning of hopefully a new life in Malaysia.

Any information would be great as I cant find anything about owning your own company in KL online, it is all assuming you will work for a company out there.

Thanks in advance.
I can see that you are looking for information and unfortunately I can't help you with that but wish you all the best.

What I do know is that in this current climate I think you will find things quite difficult. And as by the sound of things your experience in Guest housing is none to great then I would seriously think hard about it.

Not sure if there are any guest houses in KL, maybe backpacker hostels would be the nearest thing. My thoughts would be that generally tourists travelling to KL would be unlikely to choose a guest house and would rather pick a hotel.

The only bit of info I can give you and I hope it is correct is that you won't get a permit to work unless you have a job.

Keep your fingers crossed that others on here will give you more helpful info than me.
No point pussyfooting around with such a big decision as this.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liz Dyson
Hi James,

It won't let me do it. Can you call me on ***** ******* or email me your number privately? (SNIP)

Thanks, liz
Did you read my comments on your other posts??? You can only post about this in media requests
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:19 am
Just Joined

troides is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived and worked in Kuala lumpur. A fabulous place, in many ways better than Bangkok, and I would recommend it to anyone. I wold think that your chances of running a guest house profitably are near zero. Costs for overnight accommodation are dirt cheap there, even in 4 star hotels. Guest houses are mainly run by the Chinese community who cater to the local wandering trade at maybe 1 to 3 pounds a night (I kid you not!). Other guest houses run by ethnic Malays are only for Muslims and are run on quite strict lines. The last type are run by ethnic Tamil Indians. These are always good, but again very cheap. As to moving to start a business, it would be perfectly possible. Malaysia is a very welcoming country in every way. However, you would have to spend interminable days sitting around arranging the permits and visa at the big visa office on the edge of the city (cant remember its address but the Brit High Commission, Jalan Ampang, 50450 KL, will give it to you). Last time I was at that office (two years ago) there were people from all over Eastern Europe doing what you are thinking of trying and getting visas OK. The main thing that the Malays will want to be sure of is that you can support yourself completely while you are over there.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by troides
I have lived and worked in Kuala lumpur. A fabulous place, in many ways better than Bangkok, and I would recommend it to anyone. I wold think that your chances of running a guest house profitably are near zero. Costs for overnight accommodation are dirt cheap there, even in 4 star hotels. Guest houses are mainly run by the Chinese community who cater to the local wandering trade at maybe 1 to 3 pounds a night (I kid you not!). Other guest houses run by ethnic Malays are only for Muslims and are run on quite strict lines. The last type are run by ethnic Tamil Indians. These are always good, but again very cheap. As to moving to start a business, it would be perfectly possible. Malaysia is a very welcoming country in every way. However, you would have to spend interminable days sitting around arranging the permits and visa at the big visa office on the edge of the city (cant remember its address but the Brit High Commission, Jalan Ampang, 50450 KL, will give it to you). Last time I was at that office (two years ago) there were people from all over Eastern Europe doing what you are thinking of trying and getting visas OK. The main thing that the Malays will want to be sure of is that you can support yourself completely while you are over there.
Is it true that living in Kuala Lumpur has become unsafe recently?

Also, how much a one-bedroom furnished apartment would be to rent in a safe area per month.

Thank you in advance.

TD.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:19 pm
Banned

monster2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Is it true that living in Kuala Lumpur has become unsafe recently?

Also, how much a one-bedroom furnished apartment would be to rent in a safe area per month.

Thank you in advance.

TD.
Absolutely untrue. It is one of the safest cities in the world (and I have travelled most places and lived on three continents). There is virtually no crime in Malaysia as the government have an absolutely zero tolerance policy. Foreigners are greatly valued and highly respected. Also, the society is amazingly orderly. A trip on the metro system really lets us see how it should be done! Apartments are very cheap and price depends upon zone and size in square metres. They do expect foreigners to live in upmarket areas in upmarket flats!!! All areas are safe, but you may not want the open drainage ditches and so on in a very cheap zone. Apartments are extremely plush compared with most of Europe. I would reccommend Ampang as an ideal area with excellent links to the centre, lovely scenery, great, cheap restaurants (it is impossible to spend more than 2 pounds on a superb meal) and lots of tropical trees and flowers.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

SvampBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely untrue. It is one of the safest cities in the world (and I have travelled most places and lived on three continents). There is virtually no crime in Malaysia as the government have an absolutely zero tolerance policy. Foreigners are greatly valued and highly respected. Also, the society is amazingly orderly. A trip on the metro system really lets us see how it should be done! Apartments are very cheap and price depends upon zone and size in square metres. They do expect foreigners to live in upmarket areas in upmarket flats!!! All areas are safe, but you may not want the open drainage ditches and so on in a very cheap zone. Apartments are extremely plush compared with most of Europe. I would reccommend Ampang as an ideal area with excellent links to the centre, lovely scenery, great, cheap restaurants (it is impossible to spend more than 2 pounds on a superb meal) and lots of tropical trees and flowers.
2 pounds! You can have it for half of that. Beef Rendang lots of veggis, rice, one egg 5,35 RM!
I love Beef Rendang!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SvampBob
2 pounds! You can have it for half of that. Beef Rendang lots of veggis, rice, one egg 5,35 RM!
I love Beef Rendang!
Too true mate. I said it is impossible to spend more that 2 pounds. I didnt say you had to spend that. I like Beef Rendang also, and the ever present and ever delicious true Tandoori Chicken, and various types of prawn dishes.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely untrue. It is one of the safest cities in the world (and I have travelled most places and lived on three continents). There is virtually no crime in Malaysia as the government have an absolutely zero tolerance policy. Foreigners are greatly valued and highly respected.
We all have our own opinions and I will have to strongly disagree with you about safety and security.

Others may agree with you however.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
We all have our own opinions and I will have to strongly disagree with you about safety and security.

Others may agree with you however.
This one, however, will agree with ex-reg. "Virtually no crime in Malaysia"? Have you ever been to JB? Crime starts with the police that pull you over for alleged speeding and demand on the spot payment, and escalates from there.

I still like KL, but let's not be naive.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Wow, it sounds great - I can't wait sorting out my things and getting there asap. Many thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:06 am
Banned

Davess is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaysia is a great place, i Stayed there for 5 years,I am sure you are going to like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.