Rough budget for living

Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rough budget for living

As I mentioned before, the local restaurants, especially the cheaper ones lace the food with MSG. (What do you expect when it is so cheap?)
But this is of course OK if one doesn't have a problem with MSG.

As for wet markets, the quality varies, some is good, some not so good, one has to be selective as many of the vendors are just traders.
Some vendors who have temporary stands outside the markets are selling their homegrown produce and at good prices.

Standard fruits, veggies, meats, fish & poultry are cheaper in the supermarkets but check for the freshness.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physdude
The property websites seem to quote very cheap rents of around 2k/month for 3 br condos there - are these realistic or are they just posted there to lure you in?

I also probably also need to look into safety as that is something I have not really researched. I don't know if KL Sentral is really safe though it seemed perfectly all right whenever I was there.
Don't believe the listings at all. Most of them are fake in my (KL) experience. They are indeed there to draw in the punters and you will find that many apartments have mysteriously been let a few days ago despite the listing being new that day, or the photos are not of the actual unit, oh, and it happens to be a couple of hundred RM more expensive than advertised. A single unit may be listed by many different agents so before you view make sure you haven't already viewed it!

I can recommend a good agent if you want, but I'm not sure if she deals with that area of KL.

I think KL is a darn sight safer than most cities in Europe. The locals may say it's dangerous, but they obviously haven't walked down a UK High Street at pub chucking-out time. Bag snatchings happen, but interpersonal violence is very rare as far as I have seen. Take the normal precautions and you'll be just fine.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

physdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I don't want to use a dirty word on an open forum so don't click below of you are of a sensitive dispostion:-

Spoiler:
INFLATION!

The retiree's worst enemy and nothing one can do about it. There are plenty of websites which help you look back at past prices and you could use these to build a view of what your future may look like in a decade or three's time.

It is probably why a good many Brits find themselves unable to return home - the UK is out of many a retiree's financial reach now.

I do agree with owned's view that retiring too early can leave an unexpectedly bitter taste in the mouth.
Your point is well taken. I am fairly well hedged against US inflation through my investments (in fact, high US inflation will be great for me) but that is not the same as Malaysian inflation. I am not sure if there is any way to hedge against that.

All retirement safe withdrawals are also statistically based and cannot account for completely unusual happenings so there is that risk too (though at that point one should probably be worried about any number of umpteen things that one can't control in life). Well, for the 1% disasters, one can always fall back upon family.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

physdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
My wife and I found the quality of fresh produce at the wet markets in Penang disappointing. Also the price levels were not that much different from what is on offer at the super markets. So we stopped going to wet markets. We do eat out but certainly not every day. The local restaurants use way too much oil in all their dishes. And they don't replace the frying oil soon enough, leaving a less-pleasant taste to many of the dishes.
Thanks for the info. The wet market and supermarket comparison will be something to look out for.

In KL, we found some above average well reviewed banana leaf places where the food seemed to be quite fresh but you are right that a random place is likely to have issues. These are not quite as dirt cheap as the most basic ones but RM 8 or so for a good unlimited meal is still an unbelievable bargain.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Don't believe the listings at all. Most of them are fake in my (KL) experience. They are indeed there to draw in the punters and you will find that many apartments have mysteriously been let a few days ago despite the listing being new that day, or the photos are not of the actual unit, oh, and it happens to be a couple of hundred RM more expensive than advertised. A single unit may be listed by many different agents so before you view make sure you haven't already viewed it!

I can recommend a good agent if you want, but I'm not sure if she deals with that area of KL.

I think KL is a darn sight safer than most cities in Europe. The locals may say it's dangerous, but they obviously haven't walked down a UK High Street at pub chucking-out time. Bag snatchings happen, but interpersonal violence is very rare as far as I have seen. Take the normal precautions and you'll be just fine.
This is great info! I have encountered this issue a few times before but it is difficult to figure out whether it exists and how bad it is before one sets out on the actual house hunting.

I would love to get the info on the agent since I am still fairly flexible about the location - right now KL Sentral seems good from 2-3 visits and armchair surfing but it would seem a good idea to scope out a bit more when the time actually arrives (I still have about 9 months before the move).

(As I read more, it sometimes seems tempting to even try out different cities before settling on a final choice but that would be a bit of a logistical nightmare.)
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

8k should be plenty. And 2k for a 3 bedroom condo around sentul is about right. I rented a 3 bedroom condo at Sri putramas II which is only 5mins from sentul for rm1500pm.it was an ideal location. Just off Jalan kuching,close to the highway,can get to Curve mall, Ikea, Tesco's in 15mins and this was at peak times.
I now live on Ipoh where it is even cheaper to live.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacmac
8k should be plenty. And 2k for a 3 bedroom condo around sentul is about right. I rented a 3 bedroom condo at Sri putramas II which is only 5mins from sentul for rm1500pm.it was an ideal location. Just off Jalan kuching,close to the highway,can get to Curve mall, Ikea, Tesco's in 15mins and this was at peak times.
I now live on Ipoh where it is even cheaper to live.
Sentul is about 6km north of Brickfields which is where physdude was talking about. Did you perhaps mean Sentral or Seputeh?
Old Dec 4th 2016, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

I can get to sentul in about 10mins if there is some traffic,half that at night. but that's still very close.

If you drive out of the Sri putramas condo you are 10mins from Solaris dutamas and 10mins from mount kiara.

So it's in prime location from all amenities.

I wish we had bought a unit, but by the time I left, prices had doubled from the time we moved in 18 months earlier.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Malaysia!
3 BR apartment at KL Sentra area rental is around RM 4k now.
Good decision that you plan to own a car in Malaysia, it is very important. Is very inconvenient if you don't have a car in Malaysia.
Since you already plan to have a car, you can choose place to stay out of city.
You can find 3 BR apartment rental below RM 2K around 20km out from city which you can enjoy lower density living environment.
Or else you can explore other state like Melaka, rental below 2k you can find landed house in city center.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

If having fast internet is important to you don't forget to check about it. It is not country wide available yet.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Check mudah.

Plenty of condos for rent in sentul from rm1200-rm2800 average price is rm1500.

Here is a link to mudah.

http://m.mudah.my/list?q=sentul&ca=6_3_u&sa=&cg=2020&catname=Apartme nts&o=1&f=a&srch=1&so=1&mre=&frn=&ros=false&roe=fa lse&ss=false&se=false
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

When in KL for holidays and visits to family we have always eaten through hawker and hotels (wedding dinners and reunions) so have no real idea of day to day food costs - we do prefer to eat quality fresh produce.

What about other costs such as flights/holidays car running costs?
It has been pointed out to me that one of the benefits of using the retirement visa is a tax free car? Downside was if we came to sell it - which would not happen - worst case would pass on to extended family. Always have problems parking in KL so would look at a small car like a Golf but spec it up

I worry about being bored so what things to do? I don't drink (more than sociable 2 or 3 pints a week). Any clubs where I wont be harassed by social climbers? or Amway types.

Golf
Tennis
Badminton
Skeet shooting
Sailing
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

@Stuck in Auckland: it would have been better if you had opened your own thread, instead of posting your various questions in multiple, old, threads.
Cost of living is discussed in another thread, including links to websites with detailed cost analysis.
If you have an MM2H visa you have access to a "car with lower purchase tax" program. However, there are various considerations attached to it, which have also widely been discussed on this forum.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
My wife and I found the quality of fresh produce at the wet markets in Penang disappointing. Also the price levels were not that much different from what is on offer at the super markets. So we stopped going to wet markets. We do eat out but certainly not every day. The local restaurants use way too much oil in all their dishes. And they don't replace the frying oil soon enough, leaving a less-pleasant taste to many of the dishes.
The wet markets/supermarkets/online is changing as the younger generation have no inclination to sort through wet markets nor spend time in supermarkets.

This will move price changes to online and so too more convenience
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
The wet markets/supermarkets/online is changing as the younger generation have no inclination to sort through wet markets nor spend time in supermarkets.

This will move price changes to online and so too more convenience
You could be correct in general but I think that it will take some more time in Malaysia before online shopping gets a strong foothold. The logistics for online shopping incl. home delivery is not yet well-enough developed to use it for fresh produce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.