Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Robberies in landed properties Bt Ferringhi and Tg Bungah

Robberies in landed properties Bt Ferringhi and Tg Bungah

Old Nov 21st 2016, 8:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Robberies in landed properties Bt Ferringhi and Tg Bungah

This has been doing the rounds across Facebook groups the last day or so. For those of you not on FB here's an article from the Star:

Couple robbed of RM500,000 - Nation | The Star Online

The facebook grapevine has confirmed that the Batu Ferringhi break-in where the Dutch couple got tied up (and thankfully unharmed) was at Moonlight Bay. I hope someone has kicked the security guys into the bay

Re: Tanjung Bungah, it seems to be up at Casa Permai in Tg Bungah hillside. Whether that is Alila Homes or one of the surrounding houses, I don't know. There have been break-ins up in that area before.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Jorbobean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Robberies in landed properties Bt Ferringhi and Tg Bungah

Great! Here we are hoping to escape South African crime situation by moving to Malaysia and I see the news like this.

I thought Batu Ferringhi was quite a safe area. Now I have to rethink it.

What do you think is the safest place to live in Penang?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Jorbobean is an unknown quantity at this point

Great! Here we are hoping to escape South African crime situation by moving to Malaysia and I see the news like this.

I thought Batu Ferringhi was quite a safe area. Now I have to rethink it.

Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jorbobean
In a condo is the easiest, as you generally have several layers of security. In a landed place, you need to be very sure of your security...like anywhere!

Nowhere is crime-free. You need to be realistic. Penang is NOT Utopia but I personally think it is a great place to be, and so do a lot of others.

I have a load of friends living in Batu Ferringhi, both in landed and condos, and I don't know of any of those experiencing any crime. Oh I even know a South African lady who lives there :-)

Penang for sure is not South Africa. I can tell you that.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

JustAnotherFerringhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Was anyone caught for this? Moonlight Bay seems posh, I guess they didn't invest enough in security though.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 9:15 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustAnotherFerringhi
Was anyone caught for this? Moonlight Bay seems posh, I guess they didn't invest enough in security though.
For landed property I think the best way foe expats to deal with burglary problems are:[LIST][*]Gated community with security patrols[*]Metal grills on your windows and doors[*]Alarm system[*]CCTV[*]Dog

And don’t keep valuables and cash at home, put them in the bank. A safe deposit box is less than RM 250 a year.

The basic principle is to make your home a less inviting proposition to a burglar than the other homes nearby. In my view good quality grills are essential for landed property.

That said, in Penang, it is unwise to flaunt your wealth (flashy cars, watches etc), and ‘high-value’ burglary is often an inside job – e.g. you have a wonderful foreign maid for a year or two, she leaves…you later get burgled. You have a contractor in, he spots valuables in the house…you later get burgled.

It's worth remembering that in Malaysia about 1/3 of security guards are employed illegally, and it's a lowly job, paying about RM1,200 a month. You may be lucky and get top notch guards - that's a rarity though.

JC3
Old Dec 20th 2016, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JC3
The basic principle is to make your home a less inviting proposition to a burglar than the other homes nearby. In my view good quality grills are essential for landed property.
Sensible advice. I'm currently shopping around for a place to rent. Other than walls and guards at the gate, I don't think any of the places I've seen thus far have had much in terms of security. It's obviously tricky to know whether the guards are any good or not.

Any idea how much it might cost to outfit a 2,000 sqft villa with security details? Say I find a nice place with everything except grills, alarms and whatnot.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot comment on grill pricing, you will need to phone around try, & get some basic quotes, price needs to include installation, that can vary depending on window, & door types. A nice reasonable grill fitted for a normal external door may cost about 2.5k myr, windows will depend on if sliding or swing out, that depends where the grill will go, also are windows wood, ally, resin based.

Alarm systems again think about 4/5.K+ myr this depends on CCTV how many cameras ? alarm unit, recorder, monitor, do you want it connected to Internet for remote viewing ? all have a price impact.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea how much it might cost to outfit a 2,000 sqft villa with security details? Say I find a nice place with everything except grills, alarms and whatnot.
Before actually doing any of this you may want to discuss this with the house owner. The owner might not be too thrilled if you make all kind of modifications. And may force you to remove everything by the time you move house to another place.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

The owner might not be too thrilled if you make all kind of modifications. And may force you to remove everything by the time you move house to another place.
Or will keep it in place thus adding value to their property at your expense.

If the house doesn't have what you need, get the landlord to fit it. If they won't then move on to the next as there is lots to choose from. It doesn't hurt reminding any potential landlord this fact either during negotiation.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Before actually doing any of this you may want to discuss this with the house owner. The owner might not be too thrilled if you make all kind of modifications. And may force you to remove everything by the time you move house to another place.
Yes, I was asking so I'd have an idea of the costs involved. A landlord might be OK with a small investment but not a major one.

The properties I've been looking in don't have any major security features other than guards, yet people have AFAIK been living there a good while without any incidents. Some of them even have large glass doors on ground level, those would certainly be tricky to secure against brute force.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Some of them even have large glass doors on ground level, those would certainly be tricky to secure against brute force.
When I was in a landed with guard and security I replaced the lower floor big panes of windows and doors with the security laminated glass ie a hard to break film that's built in between the panes. Not cheap but better looking than having grilles covering all the windows and doors.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 11:43 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of them even have large glass doors on ground level, those would certainly be tricky to secure against brute force.
The type of sliding doors you describe can be very easily lifted off their tracks from the outside of the house in a few seconds by an experienced 'builder'. There are very simple and very cheap solutions that make this much more difficult - it's worth looking up on Google and YouTube.

JC3
Old Dec 30th 2016, 12:02 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
The type of sliding doors you describe can be very easily lifted off their tracks from the outside of the house in a few seconds by an experienced 'builder'. There are very simple and very cheap solutions that make this much more difficult - it's worth looking up on Google and YouTube.

JC3
Planks of wood in the door frames bases

Or drill and screw the doors permanently closed, though this is a fir hazard
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

rhinoboy55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Penang for three years at the Reef Condo, and I was always suspicious of the guards and never told them where or how long I was leaving for. Or just say KL for a day when i was really going to Bali for a month. When I first moved in, I locked my self out of the steel gate and the maintenance guy climbed like spiderman along an edge of the condo to my utter amazement an was inside in no time. The lady who sold me the place Rose always warned me to be more careful about security and I paid the hard way getting robbed at knife point in broad daylight on that road through the woods on the back of the island on my motorbike. Nobody stopped to help whatsoever. I was also run down on purpose by a pissed off Chinese guy and he was put up for attempted murder for a tiny traffic misunderstanding, and attacked in front of a small shop by an old Chinese man for the way I parked and he beat the crap out of my car with his cane. Everything gets blamed on Indonesians but I don't buy it. After all that I left. I stay in Chiang Mai now for three years but the pollution and traffic here is so horrendous Lord knows where to go. There were many things I liked about Penang, food costs etc and clean air. But the robbery and attacks were zero fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.