Reload this Page >

Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

mrfaroukh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Originally Posted by Chris351
Right mate, so we'll be seeing you on Walking Street then ?
Hello Chris, yes sure I love that street. So cool, love to see people dancing and enjoying themselves. One feel as being on holiday every dam day and night. It is cool to just sit there and look at people. Hope to see you one day there.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Farang9
If the immigration officer told you that you can get a resident visa after 3 years, he was quoting the law as written. However, you will find that it does not work like that in practice. 20 years ago that was the situation, but now resident visas are extremely restricted, and, according to Phuket Immigration, are NEVER given to retirement visa holders, only to businessmen who have at least $1,000,000 to invest in Thai industry. The immigration officer told me to keep the (non-refundable) application fee which would be lost.
If you have to leave Thailand at any time, remember to get a re-entry permit before you go. When you come back, the 90 days starts to count from the date of re-entry. If you forget to get the re-entry permit, you will have enormous hassle trying to re-start your retirement visa.
No it was not immigration officer, I read it on this site http://www.thaivisa.com/300.0.html , I am not sure if this is right or wrong, I guess the best is to ask the immigration officer.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall reading on thaivisa that Permanent Residence status is very difficult to obtain and virtually impossible from a Retirement Visa. Very small quotas and you need to speak very good Thai. That's what I read anyway. If anyone knows otherwise, please squeak up, as I may be out of touch on the subject.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I seem to recall reading on thaivisa that Permanent Residence status is very difficult to obtain and virtually impossible from a Retirement Visa. Very small quotas and you need to speak very good Thai. That's what I read anyway. If anyone knows otherwise, please squeak up, as I may be out of touch on the subject.
Yes you are almost right, one should know how to speak Thai, but I am not sure if you have to speak very well, or just be able to communicate in Thai. On this site http://www.thaivisa.com/300.0.html it is given some rules and regulations but it is from 2003. It is not mentioned that those on retirement visa can or can not apply for residet permit. It is also mentioned that every natiionalit only 100 of them can get the resident permit every year. I will try to find out more about this from Thai Government site and let you know.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Farang9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrfaroukh
Yes you are almost right, one should know how to speak Thai, but I am not sure if you have to speak very well, or just be able to communicate in Thai. On this site http://www.thaivisa.com/300.0.html it is given some rules and regulations but it is from 2003. It is not mentioned that those on retirement visa can or can not apply for residet permit. It is also mentioned that every natiionalit only 100 of them can get the resident permit every year. I will try to find out more about this from Thai Government site and let you know.
The Thai government site will tell you the rules as written - which is that anyone with 3 years continuous annual visa can apply for resident status on payment of a fee (IIRC 7,500 baht, non-returnable). What it will not tell you is how the rules are interpreted.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Farang9
The Thai government site will tell you the rules as written - which is that anyone with 3 years continuous annual visa can apply for resident status on payment of a fee (IIRC 7,500 baht, non-returnable). What it will not tell you is how the rules are interpreted.
Hello, I think 7500 Bath is just for the visa processing fees and you have to pay another 190 000 Bath , less or more to get the visa. I will try to enquire more about it.

By the way how is Phukket? How long you been living there? How is the standard of living, cost of living, people etc. Appreciate it if you send me some info and advise.