Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

mrfaroukh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Hello everybody, first of all I am very new here and if I make some mistakes please bear it with me. I am 52 years old retired and planning to find a suitable place to live. I had been once to Bangkok and Pattaya and found the place nice with lovely people around. But I have also heard that Malaysia is also a good place to live in. I appreciate it if those who already been in these places give me some nice honest feed back. If you suggest any of these two countries please let me know why and where to live in that country.

I appreciate some information regarding the cost of living, cost of house or flat both for rent and purchase etc. How should I find the best suitable place to live, restaurant, gym etc. All information regarding driving license, medical insurance, other laws and regulations will be appreciated.

I love night life, am sporty, love good food, and like to live in a safe envirment, interested in good health care system, enjoy happy people around me.

I was also wondering if Malaysia is a strict Islamic country? How is the dress code, drinking, night life, etc for us foreigners? Is it less or more like Thailand or any other Islamic country??

Where in Thailand or Malaysia would be the best choice?

Please send some good links for all types of information.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement in Thailand or Malaysia

Both countries have a retirement scheme for foreigners. Thailand has a one year visa but you have to report to Immigration every 90 days. Malaysia has a 10 year (renewable) visa.

Both countries have great food, bars, nightlife. More nightlife in Thailand obviously.

Foreigners can drink alcohol in Malaysia provided you are not Muslim (at least offically) and some areas are more Malay (Muslim) than others.

I'll also send you a PM later.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:15 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

This subject has already been covered (to death) multiple times.

You might try to do a bit of reading

Why don't you start here, a good post on the subject:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587302
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Both countries have a retirement scheme for foreigners. Thailand has a one year visa but you have to report to Immigration every 90 days. Malaysia has a 10 year (renewable) visa.

Both countries have great food, bars, nightlife. More nightlife in Thailand obviously.

Foreigners can drink alcohol in Malaysia provided you are not Muslim (at least offically) and some areas are more Malay (Muslim) than others.

I'll also send you a PM later.
Hey, Thank you for info. What does it mean that we have to report to the police every 90 days in Thailand? What happen if I get the one year visa but I travell with multiple return visa to Thailand? Will that mean that the visa is canceled and I must get a new visa?

How to get the 10 years visa for Malaysia? What happen if a foreigner is Muslim and drink alkohol? You never know we can have a Muslim guest as well.

Thandk you again
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
This subject has already been covered (to death) multiple times.

You might try to do a bit of reading

Why don't you start here, a good post on the subject:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587302
Hey, I did not become much smarter by going through the link you send me, but thanks anyway.

There was a lot of discussion about how safe it is to live in Malaysia and I did not get any answer to my questions.

By the way what is the cost of MM2H visa in Malaysia? It seem that it is going to be very expensive as others say is that true??

Thanks again
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As Bikbergen wisely suggested, why don't you do some reading? Plenty of threads on this forum. I have also given you 2 other recommended sites by Personal Message which would give you some of your answers too. Why don't you take a look at them if this is a serious posting.

What happen if a Muslim drinks alcohol? Your name is Mr Faroukh? Oh please.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
As Bikbergen wisely suggested, why don't you do some reading? Plenty of threads on this forum. I have also given you 2 other recommended sites by Personal Message which would give you some of your answers too. Why don't you take a look at them if this is a serious posting.

What happen if a Muslim drinks alcohol? Your name is Mr Faroukh? Oh please.
Hello and thanks, Yes I am serious about this and as I mentioned earlier I am very new in this BritishExpats. I did read all in the link you did send me, but there was more or less about how safe is in Malaysia. There was an excellent link that explain many things in Thailand and I am still reading it. Regarding Muslim I know that they are suppose not to drink and many other things, but come on who does not? I was told that Malaysia is the only democratic Muslim country and they respect people's wish to drink or not etc. That was the reason I asked for more information.

As I mentioned I am very serious about this and I am going through other treads here, but at the same time I taught that may be someone can give good tips etc. And also most of the treads I read are old and the laws, regulations, etc could have changed by now.

You mentioned that you did send me 2 PM, I still do not know how to read them, I will check to find out how to do that.

Thanks body
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:32 am

Top right-hand corner of screen you will see Private Messages. Just click on that link.

There are a lot of different websites about the MM2H. Theres a lot of info on the link I sent you. Cost will depend on whether you are over or under 50 I think, but take a look at the site - I am no expert.

Re the drinking - you can also find some threads on this on the website I mentioned. Yes of course it happens. Some get away with it, some don't. Up to you if you are Muslim I guess.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

There's also a big bruhaha brewing, on this drinking alcohol business - a Malaysian Muslim Model was recently sentenced to be whipped for consuming alcohol in the state of Pahang...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:20 am

I think you'll find she is Singaporean muslim married to a Malay. I've not checked the news lately but think it was looking like they wouldn't be doing the caning. This happened in Kuantan I believe on the eastern side of Peninsular Malaysia which is majority Malay (i.e. Muslim). Not good publicity for Malaysia - maybe that's why they've backed off.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I believe she was a Malaysian with Singapore PR.
Both she and her father thought the caning should be carried out.
But it wasn't.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:59 am

oh okay - thanks for the correction. I read in the press Singaporean so I guess they got it wrong.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

MY is enforcing Sharia laws and that means born a muslim always a muslim and better not be alone in a room with anyone other than a spouse.

Western foreigners are generally not subject to these draconian laws , ( But can a foreigner be prosecuted for having sex with a muslim?? ) and can drink all they want.

If you want sex, Thailand is for you. If you want more political stability and visa rules that are clear and applied evenly , enforced by professionals, you'll want MY.

Every one speaks English, too.

Can't give you specifics on costs in MY but in Thailand. Rent is cheaper, but paying " Farang " taxes on everything.. And BEWARE You cannot own the land if you buy a house and those 30 year " + 30 renewable.." leases are bogus , Landord has option to renew a 30 year .contract , not the lessee.
Thais like to connive and are not the most honest of folk. I think this is an Asian wide social more however.

Even with a one year extension on a visa , " Alien " has to report to their local Immigration, a division of the Police , every ninety days and fill out a form stating your address. I believe you may now be expected to have a form your landlord signs advising Immigration POLICE of Notice of Alien Residence or something... Like you've committed a crime. ( Or are going to ? )

Do not critisize the Royal Family or go to jail.
The Internet is frequently censored and a constant state of political paranoia is the current climate

Used cars are outrageously priced as is the tax on imported foods, liquor.

Teakdoor. com is an alternative discussion Thai based, English language forum that is a little less.. protective of T Land's image than Thai Visa forum which censors quite a bit and is in a partnership with The Nation and Phuket Gazette, in my view together conspire to present a somewhat rose coloured view of ex pat life T Land.

( I refer to this media partnering as the axis of benign ignorance. )

Last edited by Chris351; Sep 22nd 2009 at 7:24 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chris351
MY is enforcing Sharia laws and that means born a muslim always a muslim and better not be alone in a room with anyone other than a spouse.

Western foreigners are generally not subject to these draconian laws , ( But can a foreigner be prosecuted for having sex with a muslim?? ) and can drink all they want.

If you want sex, Thailand is for you. If you want more political stability and visa rules that are clear and applied evenly , enforced by professionals, you'll want MY.

Every one speaks English, too.

Can't give you specifics on costs in MY but in Thailand. Rent is cheaper, but paying " Farang " taxes on everything.. And BEWARE You cannot own the land if you buy a house and those 30 year " + 30 renewable.." leases are bogus , Landord has option to renew a 30 year .contract , not the lessee.
Thais like to connive and are not the most honest of folk. I think this is an Asian wide social more however.

Even with a one year extension on a visa , " Alien " has to report to their local Immigration, a division of the Police , every ninety days and fill out a form stating your address. I believe you may now be expected to have a form your landlord signs advising Immigration POLICE of Notice of Alien Residence or something... Like you've committed a crime. ( Or are going to ? )

Do not critisize the Royal Family or go to jail.
The Internet is frequently censored and a constant state of political paranoia is the current climate

Used cars are outrageously priced as is the tax on imported foods, liquor.

Teakdoor. com is an alternative discussion Thai based, English language forum that is a little less.. protective of T Land's image than Thai Visa forum which censors quite a bit and is in a partnership with The Nation and Phuket Gazette, in my view together conspire to present a somewhat rose coloured view of ex pat life T Land.

Hello Chris, thanks for the feed back. I have already got the one year visa but still keeping all the options open. As you say everybody smile here, but you never know if they love you or hate you. As long as we are little more careful about what we do and where we go, I think things should be quite ok. Everything is really cheaper here than Europe so we can have more comfortable life. I am not very sure about Malaysia, it seem that many have the same view as you have. You never know when a person do some small mistake according to Islamic law and then if you are not lucky then that is the end, this is what keep me away from Malaysia, but all the rest seem to be better in Malaysia.

Thanks anyway and I would appreciate any more feed back.

Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Chris351

Did you get banned from ThaiVisa, Chris?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.